RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fire extinguisher mounting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
Fire extinguisher mounting

Has anyone got the Land Rover fire extenguisher in their RRS? At £60 is seems rather pricey, but if anyone has got one I'd really like to see a photo so I can see how it fits. Also, I would guess it stops gaining access to the sat nav DVD under the seat.

Does anyone else have any other cheap fire extinguisher mounted in their car? If so, I'd like to know where and how they mounted (or stored) it. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #11176 Mon Jan 23 2006 5:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 
Re: Fire extinguisher mounting

Don't forget about the first aid kit! Wink Wink Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #11180 Mon Jan 23 2006 6:02pm
d3matt

Ahh, you've spotted why I posted this Smile

Got the first aid kit already. Thought before I got out and buy any old fire extinguisher, thought I'd better get one that fits well. Just been reading http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/...shers.html Matt
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #11198 Mon Jan 23 2006 6:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I need to get both. Let me know if you get any reccomendations or deals. I was hoping a bucket of water would surfice! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #11200 Mon Jan 23 2006 6:42pm
d3matt

Well first aid kits you can pick up at Boots or Halfords.

As far as fire extinguishers go, the it seems that a 1kg powder is the type to get. The Firemaster brand comes out best in the AutoExpress test. Just currently trying to source these on the net. Matt

Post #11201 Mon Jan 23 2006 6:56pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

These any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FireMaster-Metallic-...dZViewItem 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #11203 Mon Jan 23 2006 7:18pm
d3matt

I wouldn't of thought that a 600gram one is big enough. A 1kg fire extinguisher discharges in only 8 seconds! One at near half that size wouldn't put out much.
The Land Rover extinguisher is 1kg and this is also what AutoExpress tested, so I'm basing that on my minimum spec. It would seem that the best is FireMaster 1000PR (rated at A,B & C) and should be about £25. Full details at http://www.firemaster.co.uk
I'm just about to contact them and see where I can buy one from. Shall we get one each and save on the delivery charges? Matt

Post #11209 Mon Jan 23 2006 8:36pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Yes that would be good and I'll get it from you on the day (if that's ok!) 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #11213 Mon Jan 23 2006 8:45pm
d3matt

I've mounted my fire extinguisher in the car now. I don't know where the LR extinguisher is mounted, but I struggled to find somewhere suitable. I ended up mounting it underneath the passenger seat, at the rear. Below each seat is a metal cross member that is part of the fixed seat base, so it doesn't move with the seat. You can safely drill into this, so with a couple of self tapping screws I was able to mount the extinguisher there and it doesn't get the in the way either.

Photo of seat in furthest forward position, to aid access:

and seat in normal position:

Matt

Post #13022 Tue Feb 14 2006 11:02pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Bloody superb mate.. I have not been very good on rrsport.co.uk lately, keep mising threads. I went and bought a fire extinguisher off ebay, got a 1kg foam one for £15.00 delivered. Looks pretty much identical to yours with the mounting bracket, im not as handy as you seem to be, so im just going to stick mine in the boot or wedge it somewhere on the day!

Taking the first aid kit out of my dads bmw, hopefully won't need it, but if we do there are plenty of items in there. Bmw won't be driven on the day so should be ok.

Guys u sorted insurance out yet? im with direct line, haven't got off road cover, need to get a quote for a days cover, any ideas how much this should cost?

Last edited by kam100 on Tue Feb 14 2006 11:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #13028 Tue Feb 14 2006 11:28pm
d3matt

No, don't know where to get off-roading cover from. Maybe try The Green Lane Association http://www.glass-uk.org/ or do a Google search. Let me know if you find anyone and I'll do the same. I'll put a post of the D3 group now. Matt

Post #13029 Tue Feb 14 2006 11:32pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Cool, will do..

Might get some rubber mats for the car too, if it is really muddy i don't want my nice carpet mats getting wrecked!

Post #13031 Tue Feb 14 2006 11:39pm
ST

Matt,

Does the position you have mounted your extinguisher restrict the foot room in the rear at all? I notice that to take the pic you have moved the seat quite far forward......looks like a very neat installation. One thing that the RRS lacks compared to the D3 is side storage space in the boot - the D3 has a nice big hatch either side of the tailgate - one side holds the jack and the other is empty, would probably be big enough to take an extinguisher.

I wonder if you could remove the foam insert in the boot floor on the RRS that the jack sits in and customise it to take an extinguisher?? Is there any depth below the insert? Currently: Carbon Black 535d
RIP: RRSTDV6 HSE & DISCO3 HSE

Post #13032 Tue Feb 14 2006 11:47pm
d3matt

The extinguisher doesn't really obstruct the floor space. You'll notice on the photos where the rubber mats edge is and the extinguisher doesn't overlap the mat.
The 2nd photo shows the seat in the normal position, so it should be okay.

To be honest, it is only my daughter that sits on that side of the car, so it wasn't really too much of an issue, but it ended up working out well and it fits a treat. It is the only place I could find in the car to mount it. I couldn't cut away the foam tray, as I have the removable tow bar and therefore need the tray. Matt

Post #13038 Wed Feb 15 2006 12:00am
Pelyma

England 

Kam what ever you take off road needs to be secure not wedged in. A 1Kg fire extinguisher round the back of the head is gonna hurt Laughing This is where many use holdalls secured by cargo nets, the more serious then use cargo barriers (dog guards) for further protection but you of course won't need anything like that!

As far as insurance is concerned NFU cover off road but you can only get it if you live in certain areas, Sureterm also do it as of course LR themselves. I doubt you will get it for one day cover though. It maybe a case of being careful on the day.

Post #13070 Wed Feb 15 2006 11:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>