RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > ROAD ANGEL PLUS SPEED CAMERA PROBLEM - NOT RECEIVING - WHY?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

SILVER DOLLAR

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
ROAD ANGEL PLUS SPEED CAMERA PROBLEM - NOT RECEIVING - WHY?

Just put my roadangel plus speed camera detector in the HSE and its not picking up the signal.

Anyone got one and having similar problems?

Is it the front heated windscreen causing an interference problem?

Be grateful if anyone can help. GUITARS AND CARS - YOU'RE EITHER IN OR YOU'RE OUT!

Post #197053 Sat Nov 22 2008 2:57am
Lookers Park Royal

I've had pretty much every Road Angel made, and found that the earlier models were very slow to find a proper GPS signal, however I currently have a RA Professional Connected which seems to lock-on within a maximum of 30 sec's or so.

I used to find that the problem was worse when I moved the car without switching on the RA, so that the next time it was switched on it actually thought it was somewhere else. It does help if you switch it on before moving off, and if after 2 or 3 mins it still isn't showing the speed then unplug the power for 10 secs and switch on again.

Heated screens definately cause RA's problems, however I've never had a situation where it's not locked-on after trying the above, so you could have a problem with the unit, so worth trying it free-to-air whilst stationary out of the window to see what happens. Or if you have a sunroof then hold it above the cubby box so it has line of sight through the roof. Mine actually works if I put it in one of the cup holders! The support desk at RA are generall qute good at RA and can talk you through hard resets etc.

If it does work fine whilst outside of the vehicle then you could have a non OEM screen with a higher metal content perhaps? If you do then hopefully in the bottom corner's of the screen there should be a small area where there are no elements, therfore if you can site it there then you may get a better GPS reception.

I hope this helps as they are very useful indeed when they are working properly.

James Thumbs Up

Post #197063 Sat Nov 22 2008 11:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

My old satnav doesn't work with my heated screen in a FL2, but connected perfectly if i stuck it on the sunroof, obviously not ideal place, but it was in a courtesy car i had on loan without OEM satnav Smile

So i presume it maybe to do with the screen

Charles Hurst Park Royal wrote:
I've had pretty much every Road Angel made, and found that the earlier models were very slow to find a proper GPS signal, however I currently have a RA Professional Connected which seems to lock-on within a maximum of 30 sec's or so.
James Thumbs Up

Are they any good, i was looking at one of those a little while ago Question

Post #197068 Sat Nov 22 2008 1:38pm
Lookers Park Royal

npinks wrote:
Are they any good, i was looking at one of those a little while ago Question

Npinks, in my personal opinion they are very good indeed, however perhaps a little expensive at the moment. It's quite a nice size, is rechargable (probably lasts 5 or 6 hours or so driving on a charge) but also has the facility of a cigar lighter charger. It powers down when stationary so doesn't run the battery down when at petrol stations etc, and with the 'connected' version you don't need to link it to the PC for updates (as long as you have GPRS signal).

Overall I'm pleased with it. Thumbs Up

Post #197070 Sat Nov 22 2008 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mintleaf

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I fitted an Origin B2 in my car, i had to install the antenna by the rear view mirror because of the heated screen... RR Sport TDV6 HSE 07MY Java Black

Post #197101 Sat Nov 22 2008 11:04pm
lemm

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

i also have a Road Angel Professional Connected... works ok on right hand side of screen near dash RRS First Edition S/C, Vesuvius Orange, Rear Entertainment, Alpine TUE-T200DV, Stormer Alloys. (+ 19" MTR's for playing in the snow!)

Post #197271 Mon Nov 24 2008 12:12pm
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

The Pogo Alert with built in antenna works well sitting on the right side of the dashboard and sat signals are usually showing maximum.

Never seems to drop out apart from tunnels and some dodgy parts of Luton. Well, ok, most of Luton!!! .

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

TDV8 HSE MY10 with pretty much everything including a vase of daffs on the back shelf, tropical fish collection in the centre console, hamsters in the spare tyre and finally sheep on the passenger seats.....for weight distribution, what else??

Post #197417 Tue Nov 25 2008 2:53pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Are these speed camera detectors now worth having? The last time I had one (circa 3 years ago) they were Censored , even the best ones. They had so many false alarms I actually threw mine out of the window in a fit of rage (until my girlfriend made me go back and get it Embarassed )

But are they worth having now.....if so which?

Post #197418 Tue Nov 25 2008 3:11pm
SILVER DOLLAR

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

Has anyone on this forum got a "ROAD ANGEL PLUS" that works in their RRS HSE? GUITARS AND CARS - YOU'RE EITHER IN OR YOU'RE OUT!

Post #197461 Tue Nov 25 2008 11:56pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 
Re: BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

SILVER DOLLAR wrote:
Has anyone on this forum got a "ROAD ANGEL PLUS" that works in their RRS HSE?

Goodbye Rolling Eyes L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #197468 Wed Nov 26 2008 1:10am
Lookers Park Royal

Re: BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

SILVER DOLLAR wrote:
Has anyone on this forum got a "ROAD ANGEL PLUS" that works in their RRS HSE?

Yes mine did, and it was right in the centre of the screen at the front.

James Thumbs Up

Post #197483 Wed Nov 26 2008 8:32am
SILVER DOLLAR

That's really wierd then cos all I've done is move it from my 300c to this car. Worked perfectly before. James did your one have a sun roof? Mine hasnt. It MUST be the heated front screen! GUITARS AND CARS - YOU'RE EITHER IN OR YOU'RE OUT!

Post #197489 Wed Nov 26 2008 9:37am
Lookers Park Royal

No mine was in an HSE with a heated screen. It's also been in Disco's, FFRR's, FL2's and a Defender and was only a pain in the Defender because of the pitch of the screen being almost vertical.

I'd call Road Angel at Silverstone and they will probably ask you to carry out a sync and perhaps reset it?

James Thumbs Up

Post #197492 Wed Nov 26 2008 9:44am
SILVER DOLLAR

I did a recent sync and reset. Can't understand this!!!! GUITARS AND CARS - YOU'RE EITHER IN OR YOU'RE OUT!

Post #197496 Wed Nov 26 2008 9:48am
Lookers Park Royal

Personally I'd plug it into the RRS on a clear day whilst stationary and give it a good 20 mins to lock-on, if it doesn't then I'd say you have a problem with the unit which has highlighted itself by moving between the 300C and the RRS.

James Thumbs Up

Post #197504 Wed Nov 26 2008 10:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>