RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Why didnt you buy a Disco?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Theo_Pental

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Why didnt you buy a Disco?

Hi

Slightly chalk and cheese but bear with me Smile
(Im also naturally comparing TDV6's not the TDV8)

Why did you buy a RRS instead of a Disco?

They have similar performance and the Disco is much more versatile inside plus has real off road kudos

Do they really handle that badly by comparison?

I have a 'sports car' for when Im on my own and the vast majority of the time my family car is driven 4 or 5 up on motorway trips plus the occasional (thats very rare as we walk usually) school run and journey round town

Thus Im unlikely to be hooning much in a 4x4 if I ever get brave enough to hand over the cash and then ignore depreciation for the next 6 years LOL

What I do want however is something that will carry the family in comfort, cruise happily on a motorway and not wallow its way over the snake pass causing the kids to puke

Cheers

Post #195370 Sun Nov 09 2008 10:47am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

cause it looks like a shoe box according to my boss (wife 1.0) Laughing 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #195374 Sun Nov 09 2008 11:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mlines

United Kingdom 

Because it looks like a hearse (according to wife) 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #195381 Sun Nov 09 2008 1:25pm
Pelyma

England 

Because you made the wrong choice Laughing Laughing

Different car completely, The RRS feels different because of its driving position and handles a bit better (not as well as a Fl2 in my experience) For me the RRS wasn't flexible enough, didn't have enough boot space, didn't have a split tailgate and wasn't a big enough step up luxury/toys wise to justify the price.

Off road wise I don't thing there is any real difference, except you can't carry as much clutter. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #195386 Sun Nov 09 2008 2:10pm
Rupert

Ireland 

I’ve had discos since 1993 & bought a D3 in ’05.

Had it about three weeks, then I saw my first Sport on my dealer’s forecourt & just drooled, while kicking myself for not waiting to buy one instead of the D3. So, a year later, the D3 was traded in for a new RRS. Then February this year, that was traded in for an ’08 Sport, which I just love, possibly more than the fist one.

However, my activity & work modes have changed a little recently & I think I would like a vehicle that is a little more utilitarian & have found myself looking at the D3 again with increasing regularity.

Not to say that the RRS would not fulfil my needs every bit as much as the D3 would. But I would just feel more comfortable working with & getting into while wearing work clothes, a D3 rather than an Alpacca leather clad RRS. I just can’t bring myself to start dumping in tools boxes, ropes etc, etc into the back of the Sport.

But this is very much all in my own mind & there is no doubt, that the RRS would more than deal with the work. I just think that it too nice a vehicle to do that to. My ideal solution would be to chop in “Mrs Rupert’s FL2 for a D3 to act as my work vehicle & give her the Sport. That way I’d have my D3 to muck about in & we’d still have the Sport for “good wear” so to speak.

However with the current economic climate & the shocking trade-in values of cars these days I doubt that would be anything other than financial suicide.

Really the RRS is every bit as good in the tough stuff as a D3 is, but it’s wearing a suit as it does it. It’s more of a luxury vehicle, whereas the D3 is a great all round work vehicle. I also think that I would feel more comfortable going onto a site in a D3 rather than a RRS. The D3 just has more of a work aura to it than the fancier RRS.

But this is all psychological muddle in my head Rolling Eyes

Post #195394 Sun Nov 09 2008 4:44pm
terrier

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey

I have come from aD3 to a RRS Tdv6, The Sport handles better with standard suspension, the steering feels more direct and it does feel quicker too. The Sport has better front seats and driving position, there is also better leg room for the driver. I preferred the split tailgate on the Disco, it also made less road noise (same sized tyres as RRS) and yes felt more of a utility vehicle. I don't miss the terrible acceleration lag that the Disco had though. Sadly both vehicles have windscreen wiper blades that are not fit for purpose, the sensitivity control for the wipers don't work and neither do the auto headlamps. This is my third LR with these problems. I feel that both vehicles have been in production now for long enough to have had these design faults put right. I would consider a D3 again only if the lag and other faults were put right.

Post #195397 Sun Nov 09 2008 5:22pm
G4LAND

Spain 

Love RRS, love D3, love LR
Well, I wasnt sure Rolling Eyes , so... Idea Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey/Black
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
JavaBlack/Black
(SOLD)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
(Spain)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(SOLD)

13 FREELANDER 2 (LR2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

Post #195398 Sun Nov 09 2008 5:29pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Re: Why didnt you buy a Disco?

Theo_Pental wrote:
Hi

I have a 'sports car' for when Im on my own and the vast majority of the time my family car is driven 4 or 5 up on motorway trips plus the occasional (thats very rare as we walk usually) school run and journey round town

What I do want however is something that will carry the family in comfort, cruise happily on a motorway and not wallow its way over the snake pass causing the kids to puke

I bought BOTH - a D3 for the wife and family, a RRS for myself.

For family use the D3 is a far better all rounder than the RRS. We have regularly loaded our D3 with adults, kids, dogs, canoes, mountain bikes and all necessary "stuff" and it has always excelled.

So I am sure the right answer for you is a D3.

Mind you, a TDv8 RRS with dynamic response, is on another level again. It can't do everything the D3 does, but it does the driving bit sooooo well that it actually spoils you for driving the D3. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #195403 Sun Nov 09 2008 6:10pm
Steve in germany

Germany 

Same here, I have owned both vehicles, and the end of the day it's what suits your needs, with the D3 you know you can chuck anything in the back, be it dogs, kids, tools, bails of hay you name it. The RRS is a totaly different drive, especially the TDV8. I suggest that if you are considering both cars you should test drive each car for at least a day each. Hopefully by then you will know which vehicle suits the needs of yourself and your family. Now is the time to buy Thumbs Up Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #195408 Sun Nov 09 2008 6:42pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

The wife didnt like the black dash on the D3 we test drove......

I didnt see the need to tell her the dash didnt have to be black Laughing

She then climbed into a RRS and she asked why we werent considering one of these???

Deal done.

As we all know , if she mentions it first you have more , er , spending power.. Thumbs Up

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #195415 Sun Nov 09 2008 8:33pm
Trev

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

terrier wrote:
I have come from aD3 to a RRS Tdv6, The Sport handles better with standard suspension, the steering feels more direct and it does feel quicker too. The Sport has better front seats and driving position, there is also better leg room for the driver. I preferred the split tailgate on the Disco, it also made less road noise (same sized tyres as RRS) and yes felt more of a utility vehicle. I don't miss the terrible acceleration lag that the Disco had though. Sadly both vehicles have windscreen wiper blades that are not fit for purpose, the sensitivity control for the wipers don't work and neither do the auto headlamps. This is my third LR with these problems. I feel that both vehicles have been in production now for long enough to have had these design faults put right. I would consider a D3 again only if the lag and other faults were put right.

Does anybody know why the wiper blades, Wiper delay and Auto headlights are crap? Supercharged 2006 gone
Supercharged Overfinch 2010 on the drive:)

Post #195420 Sun Nov 09 2008 10:32pm
MX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

I'd agree with most of the above posts.

I dont miss the lag of the D3, the road noise and exposure to cross wind were a pain in the backside.

I love the better accelleration, tighter handling and the way it really turns heads when you have spent hours polishing her Cool

Given the choice I think I would go for the RRS again - but would push for the TDV8 next time. RRS TDV6 SE Java Black +towpack +tintent +Permagrin

What a difference between this and my old Disco3
Formerly mxgeldar7

Post #195422 Sun Nov 09 2008 10:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Re: Why didnt you buy a Disco?

Theo_Pental wrote:

...because i was 20 Thumbs Up .

Post #195427 Sun Nov 09 2008 11:48pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #195439 Mon Nov 10 2008 8:18am
Jonny Fresh

England 

Because I don't have a caravan

Post #195466 Mon Nov 10 2008 11:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>