RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Sat Nav - Load of *&$^
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Iceman

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey
Sat Nav - Load of *&$^

Does anyone rate the RRS sat nav system? Only done about 1500mls in mine and already have grown so fed up of the system that i'm thinking of getting a tom tom to replace it with Sad not good on a 58k car!!

The system doesnt seem to adapt when you go a quicker/different route than what it suggests originally (even when the diversion is on a minor road).

In one instance after I detoured - I was less than a mile away (could see the destination in the distance) from my destination and it was still persistant that I go round the roundabout, back 4 miles to the motorway junction i got off at then back on the motorway to complete the journey!!! CRAZY!

The second instance happened last night when on my way back from North Wales - it tried to send me SOUTH through god knows how many piddling roads to get home, when all that was needed was the A55 to the M56!! (I was already on the A55 heading NORTH when I started the navigation!!). I live in Manchester by the way.

So in short, I love the car but hate the satnav - which is a major issue because i do about 24000 mls per year visiting about 5 sites a day in places i've never been to before.

Is there an update for the satnav (disc or software update) that will resolve this?

Here's hoping!

Rick.

Post #10647 Tue Jan 17 2006 4:29pm
Pelyma

England 

No I haven't found this, mine does have a preocupation with the M25 but apart from that its good. It is exceedingly rare for it to want you to make a U turn. I haven't heard of any update disc, but it is needed!

Post #10651 Tue Jan 17 2006 4:56pm
James S

United States 

It is not any better in the states. I put my address in and it says my house is down the block by my neighbor. I work two to three (depends on the day) building away from where I really do. The most annoying thing is I never eat in the restuarant I program because it says destination on the right, but the real place is three blocks down. These are not new are different places here in chicago. Dealer says they are looking into. Yeah right.

Post #10654 Tue Jan 17 2006 5:24pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I agree entirely - the SatNav could be a lot better. I had to go from my house on the Hants/Surrey/West Sussex borders to the LRE venue over in Kent at the weekend and wanted to go the more direct route as opposed to A3 and motorways. Where did it have me go? Via Basildon - I kid you not. I am constantly getting fed up wit its routing logic... it's rubbish. My dealer says there is no update (and not to hold my breath for one, either). 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #10655 Tue Jan 17 2006 5:37pm
PaulB

England 

I'm not certain, but I seem to recall one of the settings is to use major roads. If you want to go cross-country via minor roads, you may need to turn the "Major Roads" feature off.

So far, I've had no problems with it, but it is still very early days.
I was going to buy a VW Touareg before I decided on the RRS. There have been issues with the ToeRag Sat-Nav and I've been on their forum telling them how wonderful the RRS one is Confused They don't seem to have TMC enabled on their's.

Paul RRS TDV8 - Stornoway Grey, Irory Leather with Dark Zebrano, Privacy Glass, Tow Pack.
1967 Cobra 427 S/C
1951 Vincent Comet
2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Last edited by PaulB on Tue Jan 17 2006 6:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #10657 Tue Jan 17 2006 6:05pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

If I could have specked my S'chgd without sat-nav then I would have done, I dont need one & when I decided to give it a go was extremely dissapointed by it Sad having experienced very similar issues mentioned here. I would have expected better - having seen in operation stand a lone models which do a great job.

I hav'nt had any problems re exact location/positioning - I did however calibrate the system & move my HOME to match where I was on my driveway. ( this is in the system set up menu )

I'm sure if we wait we will see the launch of a better updated version giving full 3D graphics etc ...... that would be nice Very Happy 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #10659 Tue Jan 17 2006 6:10pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

PaulB wrote:
I'm not certain, but I seem to recall one of the settings is to use major roads. If you want to go cross-country via minor roads, you may need to turn the "Major Roads" feature off

I know what you mean Paul - it does improve matters a little if you turn off the types of roads that you don't want to travel on, but why should you have to do that? The road data is pretty out of date too - I've run into new junctions/roundabouts etc before now that it doesn't know about. It likes to take you left, right and right again from traffic lights where you could have just gone straiht ahead. Also, I don't like the fact that when it shows you the 3 routes its worked out for you, it's often not very clear which roads it planning to take you on. It's at that point you have to get the road atlas out and wonder why you use the SatNav in the first place. I never had these issues with the BMW SatNav... it did exactly what I wanted it to and to my mind, was easier to use too. 

Post #10662 Tue Jan 17 2006 6:39pm
Pelyma

England 

Use route preview and it will take you step by step. Did you use sat nav to find the Kent LRE - it takes you the wrong side of the lake! I have found the odd glitch but it does seem to pick better routes with time. I also use waypoints if I am going a way it is not likley to pick due to its preoccupation with the M25. The biggest laugh though is the ETA it doesn't seem to be logical at all!

Post #10669 Tue Jan 17 2006 8:47pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Use route preview and it will take you step by step. Did you use sat nav to find the Kent LRE - it takes you the wrong side of the lake

They warn you about that on the booking confirmation! My sat nav sometimes does funny things but I realised the TMC was on and this recalculates routes if it thinks there's a problem. (Or at least I think it does!) 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #10671 Tue Jan 17 2006 8:50pm
KevinJM

Yugoslavia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I had a tom tom previously, the updates were the best thing about it but it also made some very strange "logical" decisions. I think we are still a long way from an intuitive satnav system. I have used the prem nav in my RRS around Europe and I have had no problems - in fact the TMC got me past Munich on diversions and I never hit a tailback once. The same the next day around Graz. My big bugbear is that when you reach the austrian border it is the end of the world - nothing is shown. Even bloody tomtom shows the road to Greece. Garmin satnav also shows the "south east europe" but for RR, it doesn't exist. RRS TDV6 (gone)
RRS TDV8 HSE(gone, burned out)
ML 320 CDI Airmatic

Post #10673 Tue Jan 17 2006 9:05pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
Use route preview and it will take you step by step. Did you use sat nav to find the Kent LRE - it takes you the wrong side of the lake! I have found the odd glitch but it does seem to pick better routes with time. I also use waypoints if I am going a way it is not likley to pick due to its preoccupation with the M25. The biggest laugh though is the ETA it doesn't seem to be logical at all!

Again, route preview is all well and good but I'd like to see it all on the screen at once so I can spend 2 secs taking in the route and set off with confidence. I guess this is all personal preference really, but in my experience and opinion it's not up to the mark. I did use it to get to Eastwell yes, but ignored it when I saw a sign saying Eastwell Manor. I set the destination on postcode and I guess it thinks the postcode is around the other side of the lake. Pi**ing thing! Evil or Very Mad 

Post #10693 Wed Jan 18 2006 10:30am
Pelyma

England 

Not sure how any system can show you a long journey that quickly you can skip through bits. I think that the previous comment that no perfect system exists is about right. The only time I have little confidence is when I'm towing.

Post #10706 Wed Jan 18 2006 11:54am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Personally , I think the best thing to do is set off to where you want to go ( we all know the general direction from our start points ) and when you have done the bulk of the journey - stop - pop the post code in - and hey presto - let it guide you then to final destination. Very Happy 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #10709 Wed Jan 18 2006 12:31pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I have had some frustrations with mine today, setting a new route ready for an early start in the morning, checked on my road map in the car that it has plotted the route I would have personally chosen...all fine except for the first 5 miles of my local journey.

I know these roads so won't be paying attention to the satnav really but for some reason, despite picking major roads as my preference it wants to ignore the main A roads near my home and divert me through all the local villages to connect me with the main road that I would have taken in the first place, later on.

I have tried adding a waypoint onto the main A road so that it would route onto it, but it just will not do it. Evil or Very Mad

As I said, as it's close to home, not an issue, but if it does similar things at the other end where I have no idea about, it could be a problem.

We need an update to this software.

Would any other nav software work in it? L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #10814 Thu Jan 19 2006 6:25pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

I'm no expert in SatNav systems, but I assume the SatNav is hardware + software - the DVD is just data I take it? If the DVD was bootable and provided the operating environment as well as the data, it would be a lot easier to change I suspect. 

Post #10816 Thu Jan 19 2006 6:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>