RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > NSW / VIC Snowy Mountains Off-Road Weekend Date Preferences
Preferred Dates for RRS NSW/VIC Meet in the Snowies
Between xmas - New Year 2008
0%
 0%  [0]
January 2009 - confirm which weekend dates in your post
100%
 100%  [3]
February 2009 - Confirm which weekend dates in your post
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 3

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Good idea, I'd hate them to close the border on you! Whistle

Post #194552 Tue Nov 04 2008 10:28am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

2nd Rower wrote:
Good idea, I'd hate them to close the border on you! Whistle

Thumbs Up Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #194557 Tue Nov 04 2008 10:37am
Zilch

UPDATED - Weekend 9-12th January

WD has arranged an excellent rate with the http://www.aalberg.com.au they have 17 rooms, bar and restaurant and offer a good deal.

Single Rooms $230 for 2 nights, $309 for 3 nights, includes hot breakfast and dinner
Double Rooms, $340 for 2 nights, $465 for 3 nights per couple, includes hot breakfast and dinner

Bargain Thumbs Up

2nd Rower + Relative - 2 singles
Ivery + Chris - 1 Double Room
640 + Wife - 1 Double Room
moi + Wife - 1 Double Room
Grant + Partner - Not required
WD + Tracy - Not required

WD is working on itinerary as well as other pursuit options for those who do not want to drive for whole weekend
Assume we will lock in Saturday as an off-road day into the Snowy and local national park

Many thanks

Jim Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #195626 Tue Nov 11 2008 8:54am
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White
Re: UPDATED - Weekend 9-12th January

Zilch wrote:

WD is working on itinerary as well as other pursuit options for those who do not want to drive for whole weekend
Assume we will lock in Saturday as an off-road day into the Snowy and local national park

Many thanks

Jim

Ok, Sorry for the delay guys.

I finally have been able to surface from shearing, kidding and fencing all the other fun farm stuff that happens at this time of year to have a look at possible itineraries for the big event next year. So here are some options.

Saturday
Option 1
• Meet at Aalberg at 9.00am
• Take the Alpine way over to Khancoban (Approx 2 Hr) - Morning tea or similar there
• NSW Park pass required (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkFeesConditions.aspx?id=N0018)
• Head over to Cabrumurra (Approx 1.5 Hr) - There is some nice scenery along the way and there is the opportunity to look and read some history around the Snowy Mountains Scheme around having lunch at Cabrumurra
• Drive through to Adaminiby (Approx 1.5 Hr)
• Then back through to Jindabyne.

Grant used to be with Snowy Hydro as one of the engineers, so will be willing to act as a tour guide for Saturday and give some insights into the area as well as the Snowy's Scheme.

Pro's - Lots of Scenic driving along a mix of dirt and paved roads.
Con's - Lots (and lots) of driving for the day added to what has already been a long drive to get down here.

Option 2
• Take the Alpine way over to Tom Groggin Station (Need to buy a Park Pass , see link above)
• Morning tea or similar at Swampy Plain Camping Ground
• Then up to Olsens Lookout on dirt roads
• Lunch maybe up at Geehi Dam
• Then Through to Murray 1 Powerstation with a tour through ( if they are open)
• Back through Khancoban and then onto Jindabyne for Dinner at the Aalberg

Pro's - A bit more time in the bush on dirt roads instead of the predominance of highway driving (per option 1) and lots of opportunity for scenery shots
Con's - Lots of more dirt driving for those who don't want to do that.

Both of these options will be High Range driving on graded gravel roads - unlikely to need low range or any tricky computer gadgetry, and unlikely to add any new bush pinstripes to the duco unless you drive too close to the edge of the road.

Sunday
• Drive up to Perisher and then onto Charlottes Pass (Need to buy a Park Pass... see first link)
• 30 Minute walk each way for sight seeing on one of the walking trails
• Drive from Smiggins Holes to Island Bend Pondage (Morning tea)
• Next to the Thredbo Valley Distillery on the Alpine way (http://www.wildbrumby.com/cellar/)
• Lunch at Crackenback Cottage (see http://www.crackenback.com - for a sample menu)
• Thredbo - (http://www.thredbonet.com/thredbo.html) Chairlift to Eagles Nest (approx $20) - 1 Hour walking opportunity along the suspended walkways for more scenery and photo opportunities
• Drive to Snowy Wilderness (http://www.snowywilderness.com.au/) (Cost to be determined)
• 2 Hour Tag along 4 wheel driving and campfire dinner
• Back to the Aalberg

The Snowy Wilderness stuff will give the guys who want to use low range on their RRS the opportunity to do so, but the trade off here is the possibility of scrapes to paint and rims etc. There are wild brumbies on this 7,000 acre property including one spectacular Silver male as well as a host of other wildlife to see. Their website does more justice to what these guys can provide, than I have put in here. I have done a quad bike tour of the property and it is worth seeing.

How does this sounds for starters? Is there more of any particular activities that people want to do over the other? Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #197994 Sun Nov 30 2008 11:52pm
640Newton

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I like the sound of option 2 and also the Sunday itinerary, although I'd prefer it if we could swap the Sunday drive to the Saturday and then do option 2 on the Sunday.

We have to head back up to Sydney on Sunday afternoon so I doubt we'd get to finish the proper off-road driving trip proposed, but if it was swapped to the Saturday that would be great. But happy to go with whatever thr group decides. (the more mud the better as I've already got some bush stripes on my car).

Cheers, 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #197996 Mon Dec 01 2008 12:27am
2nd Rower

I'm currently just stopping for the Fri and Sat nights. I'll drive up from Melbourne on the Friday so will already be there for the Sat am start, and then will need to head back to Melbourne some time on the Sunday. We may yet stay the Sun night also but we are still discussing that.

As for options, yes would like to get the RRS off road, and don't have any dramas with getting marks on the car if it so happens. So maybe agree with 640 and do the Sun option on the Sat?? With the Sun option it mentions campfire dinner, I thought dinner was at the Alberg each night?

What will we need in terms of minimum equipment?

Post #198001 Mon Dec 01 2008 3:01am
Zilch

Re: UPDATED - Weekend 9-12th January

Working Dog wrote:

and unlikely to add any new bush pinstripes to the duco unless you drive too close to the edge of the road.

WD, unlike a certain "about to happen" new paint job at a certain farm Sheep in January earlier this year Big Cry check out the small branches about to add two side stripes to keep it fashionable Wink

Click image to enlarge

Working Dog wrote:
How does this sounds for starters? Is there more of any particular activities that people want to do over the other?

Excellent and many thanks for putting this together, happy to go with the swap over in terms of Saturday and Sunday Itinerary Thumbs Up

Cheers Jim

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #198004 Mon Dec 01 2008 8:42am
640Newton

just a quick question for this trip; what tyres will everyone be sporting (excuse the pun)? 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #198006 Mon Dec 01 2008 9:25am
Zilch

640Newton wrote:
just a quick question for this trip; what tyres will everyone be sporting (excuse the pun)?

I only have the standard tyres, currently on Goodyear Wranglers, which are the tyres in the picture, but they were only 2 days old so look more aggresive than they really are, they have been good for dune/sand driving at Stockton Beach as well. It has been rock crawling on the original Conti's. To be honest the terrain response system does a lot of the hard work Thumbs Up Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #198008 Mon Dec 01 2008 9:36am
640Newton

I'm picking up a 2nd set of rims tomorrow and will be putting some more aggresive tyres on them for when we do trips with the Range Rover Club as some of the trips can get quite interesting. Might fit them for the trip to the Snowies to test them out first. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #198009 Mon Dec 01 2008 10:14am
Zilch

640Newton wrote:
I'm picking up a 2nd set of rims tomorrow and will be putting some more aggresive tyres on them for when we do trips with the Range Rover Club as some of the trips can get quite interesting. Might fit them for the trip to the Snowies to test them out first.

Did you get the membership as part of the Vehicle purchase or join separately. Tastetech's joined through purchasing at ALTO, but i am hanging off forking out the geldt pending possible move to Singers early next year.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #198011 Mon Dec 01 2008 11:06am
640Newton

We've been members since 2005 since we bought a TD5 Discovery, but with the purchase of the new TDV8, Alto paid for our renewal. We haven't been to many trips over the past 2 years since our daughter was born but she's at the age now where she can entertain herself in the car so we'll get back into it in the new year. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #198015 Mon Dec 01 2008 11:38am
Zilch

Well if i do not end up in Singers we will join about March-ish, i could do with the off-road training ..

That was a good move by Alto, as Trivetts were arranging their own days and Alto had nothing to compare.. I bought from Alto nearly 3 years ago so ended up with squat Sad Aligning to RR NSW provides a whole lot more options. Is it 1 or 3 year membership ?? Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #198017 Mon Dec 01 2008 11:44am
2nd Rower

640Newton wrote:
just a quick question for this trip; what tyres will everyone be sporting (excuse the pun)?

My RRS wears General Grabber AT2's all the time now having ripped one of the Goodyear Wranglers on a black run during the winter!

Post #198020 Mon Dec 01 2008 12:13pm
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White

Like Zilch, I am just running the Wranglers as well. They seem to work ok for the stuff we do around here on the farm and for any of the fly fishing forays that I do up into the hills. I will be interested to hear what different tires and sizes folk have found for their on and off road needs. Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #198344 Wed Dec 03 2008 10:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>