RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > How embarassing!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

RRfan

Scotland 
How embarassing!

Drove down to neice #1 wedding near to Norwich from Aberdeen with wife and fully grown offspring x 2 enjoying the serenity and comfort of RRS as well as cavernous boot to hold the 40 odd combinations of dresses, coats, boots, shoes , hats required by wife - depending on the weather of course....
Very Happy

Wash car morning of wedding to ensure the selected dress/coats/boots/shoes + the male kilts don't get marked from grubby car.
Very Happy

Drop off scrubbed up family including grandma - who was impressed by lowered access height function - at church and head into field being used as car park.
Very Happy

Pass 7 older version discos, 2 explorers, Nissan jobby and brace of toyota hilux reverse parked against hedge in field.
Very Happy

Swing out to line up my reverse into suitable slot, crossing a couple of minor ruts in the grass, select reverse and .......
Question

Sure enough grass torn up under 3 wheels - no probs I think - this is what this machine eats for breakfast....
switch display to 4x4 , line up front wheels, terrain response to mud then rock & roll gearbox.....
Shocked

not a lot happening from inside - son rocks up asking what do I think I am doing - all 4 wheels are spinning gently in the mud – while I'm impressed by the diffs locking on/off on display but getting fed up with the 1001 alarms going off.
Evil or Very Mad

Switch off and enjoy coldest ever church service - colder inside than outside and head back to car after photos taken. Break up crowd of onlookers around car giving lots of useful advice of how to get outta mud.
Get a tow from disco who waltzes past me from parking slot alongside where i'm stuck reverses back to chat through windows then goes back to line up tow bars without spinning a wheel. He then finally spins his outside rear - probably only because he is pulling me at the offset and having to make some effort from the noises the tow rope was making.....
Embarassed

I don't think they have stopped laughing yet!
Embarassed

Moral:- great to know that should I ever want to park on 2 opposite rocks I can open all the doors and tailgate without any distortion - clearly something I MUST do more often - but then I can't stop in a damp field with a couple of ruts without having plan B parked nearby....
I guess there was a good reason Clarkson challenged a centurion tank - they both weigh about the same!..... RRSprt HSE TDV6 - Artic Frost, Tow pack, Privacy glass.

Previous 10 yrs with P38 JE Engineered, coil sprung DT
Previous 10 yrs Classic V8 Supercharged

Post #10409 Sun Jan 15 2006 11:36am
DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green

Does this mean you will have to relocate Laughing When I purchased my RRS it came equiped with Continental Cross Contact UHP's, a high performance summer tire. I shared with the dealer that I needed a M&S rated traction tire and they picked up the tab for a set of Pirellis. I can get in and out of wet snow (aka slush) with great ease. That said, I wonder if it's the tires that are the problem Question

Post #10415 Sun Jan 15 2006 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
noddy and bigears

England 
stuck

at the end of the day you can have the best electronic gadgets avalible but if your tyres dont grip your going nowhere fast Laughing

Post #10420 Sun Jan 15 2006 6:59pm
Pelyma

England 

I did this in my D3 Embarassed You need to switch DSC off and select M&R, third gear and floor it. It will spin initially then the electronics start reworking and get you out. I did this on my LR experience day, most people give up too early Shocked

Post #10433 Sun Jan 15 2006 8:53pm
Biggles

England 

Experience is where its at, times like these you need to stop and think as pelyma says switch iff DSC it has made the difference in my sport and my previous X5 when you think you are stuck. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #10459 Mon Jan 16 2006 1:31am
RRfan

Scotland 
How embarassing!

Thanks for feedback, and indeed it comes down to the tyres as the discos had no problem at all but had M&S tyres fitted.

My experience is with sand (being lucky enough to have worked in various deserts around the world) in older mechanical vehicles; and some snow (Norway/Moscow).

I still have to do my LR experience (which this episode only reinforced its value) to find out the limits of the electronics and how to use them.

I have had no problem in the snow around Aberdeen (hence my surprise when i got stuck). RRSprt HSE TDV6 - Artic Frost, Tow pack, Privacy glass.

Previous 10 yrs with P38 JE Engineered, coil sprung DT
Previous 10 yrs Classic V8 Supercharged

Post #10465 Mon Jan 16 2006 9:13am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

As Pelyma and Biggles have said ...
I read somewhere that it is advisable to deactivate DSC if you are starting on a loose surface, among other things. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #10467 Mon Jan 16 2006 9:40am
Pelyma

England 

M&S tyres will make very little difference in a field, the electronics make the most difference. Your car was backing off the power as it thought it was going to crash! The TR will change what it does even in the same program. I thought I was stuck on my LRE day on a steep muddy hill, we ground to a halt but the instructor told me to keep my foot down and after a few seconds the car started to move again - spooky!

Post #10468 Mon Jan 16 2006 9:41am
noddy and bigears

England 
tyres

Thanks for feedback, and indeed it comes down to the tyres as the discos had no problem at all but had M&S tyres fitted.
tyres still do have alot to do with it i can pass rr. discos. etc in a 1958 series lr with goodyear G90 tyres on in two wheel drive in a wet grassy field Laughing just as clarckson was passed in a x5 on top gear

Post #10555 Mon Jan 16 2006 5:33pm
Pelyma

England 

Tyres are not such an issue with TR if a disco is going through with M&S tyres I'd be pretty confident on standard wranglers. Greenlaning in Salisbury I was with 2 Mud tyred D3s and had less problems than they! In extreme conditions the tyres will of course tip the difference but not in a grass field.

Post #10587 Mon Jan 16 2006 8:43pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Ah yes, I remember your way of getting out of the ruts Wink Laughing

An RRS or D3 on standard road tyres is exceptionally impressive off road Mr. Green Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #10588 Mon Jan 16 2006 8:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
noddy and bigears

England 
missing the point

at the end of the day the the disco 1 that pulled him out did not have to turn his dial switch this off turn that on or even floor it i totaly agree that a rrs or disco 3 is impressive off road but if the tyres dont grip your going nowhere fast Laughing

Post #10594 Mon Jan 16 2006 9:19pm
Pelyma

England 
Re: missing the point

noddy and bigears wrote:
at the end of the day the the disco 1 that pulled him out did not have to turn his dial switch this off turn that on or even floor it i totaly agree that a rrs or disco 3 is impressive off road but if the tyres dont grip your going nowhere fast Laughing

But he did have to change tyres and wear ear plugs Wink Unless you are into extreme stuff the only reason I can see to change your tyres is to get side wall strength. Until you have sat in a car that is running slicks with the mud having long filled your tread and suddenly feel the car move up a hill you have not experienced your car. You can do all the modding you like but your car as it stands out of the box will go further than your nerve to take a £45K car. The sad thing is most will never really know just how good their car is Crying or Very sad

Post #10602 Mon Jan 16 2006 10:48pm
noddy and bigears

England 
changr tyres

disco 1 came from the factory with m+s tyres as for earplugs tyres have advanced along way since town and country crossplys i spend most of my time offroad operating a vast amount of construction and agri plant and equipment you would not beleve the differance in grip from two identical tyres from differant manufactures you are talking about extreme tyres with sidewall grip when all he was stuck in was wet muddy grass the point i am trying to make is without grip you go nowhere electronics or not

Post #10603 Mon Jan 16 2006 11:00pm
Pelyma

England 
Re: changr tyres

noddy and bigears wrote:
disco 1 came from the factory with m+s tyres as for earplugs tyres have advanced along way since town and country crossplys i spend most of my time offroad operating a vast amount of construction and agri plant and equipment you would not beleve the differance in grip from two identical tyres from differant manufactures you are talking about extreme tyres with sidewall grip when all he was stuck in was wet muddy grass the point i am trying to make is without grip you go nowhere electronics or not

You didn't mean real M&S tyres then

Even in a D3 you need earplugs. This photo of BNs car in a challenge against seriously tricked up cars with the car climbing the hill at tickover. Of course with no traction you go nowhere, but this TR system is spooky, it does things that it shouldn't be able to do. Even Vince Cobley at one of BNs off road days reckoned that the tyres play very little part in the cars ability, though of course it is sod's law that at some point you will need that little extra!

To see what NeilR achieved on his 20" rubber bands was incredible and if only people would really open their eyes to what the car can do straight out of the box compared to what even tricked up cars can achieve it is amazing. In testing the TR system they drove a D3 up a steep ice and snow covered slope until it could go no further, they then tried to recover it with a Defender with snow tyres and it could get nowhere near the D3 which just had the standard wranglers on, that is how good TR is once you know how to use it.

Post #10629 Tue Jan 17 2006 10:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>