RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Dog/Cargo guard - any alternative to the LR metal version?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 
Dog/Cargo guard - any alternative to the LR metal version?

Has anyone yet sourced a good quality dog/cargo guard for the RRS?

My preference is to have a flexible nylon net as opposed to have to get the industrial looking metal guard available from LR.

My objective is to a) keep the dog seperated from the cabin, and b) to prevent luggage, boot contents whizzing past my ear if i fill up the boot with shopping above the level that the boot blind can cope with.

Thanks in advance
 P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #10308 Fri Jan 13 2006 12:01pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

You need the retractable cargo net as fitted in the big brothr RR - but sadly nothing is available for the SPORT Sad

I can point you in the direction of a good solution for the dog - take alook at these photos from anothe member mpwox11 of his sport with a Dogbag

and link to there web www.dog-bag.co.uk

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=37 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #10313 Fri Jan 13 2006 1:27pm
Pelyma

England 

I don't think that would offer you or the dog much protection, nor would it restrain the dog if it wants out. But any soft material type barrier would be the same. Lintran make excellent cages and have traditional guards too www.lintran-products.co.uk

Post #10317 Fri Jan 13 2006 2:31pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

To be quite frank, I would'nt bother. I have found that with the headrests in an elevated position my labrador has NO chance of getting through & as for shopping - thats some load & to think small loose items would not be bagged up anyway . So I came to the conclusion that I'll wait for LR to bring out a solution other than their industrial looking prison cell offerings. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #10318 Fri Jan 13 2006 3:24pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I always kept my dogs in a cage when travelling. They are not the best trained beasts and everytime they see a cyclist go ballistic. The cage was useful because pre cage they would scratch the windows resulting in knackered tints! I have not yet got a cage for the sport and the dogs have not yet been in it. Has anyone measured the boot for the correct cage size yet? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #10320 Fri Jan 13 2006 3:41pm
Renny

Scotland 

Contact Lintran (as above). They will custom make if they do not have a stock one to fit. Good company and good product, as it protects tha car and the dogs, is easily removed so the car goes back to normal when required, ant doesn't rattle. Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer

Post #10326 Fri Jan 13 2006 4:56pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

To stop your shopping goods moving about you could purchase the cargo net from the LR accessories brochure. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #10333 Fri Jan 13 2006 5:41pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I too have always favoured the flexible type mesh guards - normally they would come as a roller blind arrangement with the boot cover going the other way. Our Merc E220 had this, as did our BMW 520 Touring. It's a shame that the RRS doesn't have this.
As you've seen I now use a DogBag. They are brilliant things. They keep the boot 100% clean as the dog jumps straight into the bag and I zip her in. The flap also protects the bumper when the dog jumps in or out. I'd always have one now. It is one of the best products I've ever brought. It can fold up and fit into a small rucksack (supplied with it) and we use it inside the house sometimes and the dog is very happy to sleep in it. I think these are the only way to carry a dog in the car - they are safe, clean and seperate the dog (and it's hair and mud) from the rest of the boot contents.

See my gallery for pics. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #10363 Fri Jan 13 2006 9:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Josh

United Kingdom 

We've got two small dogs and were already planning to go down the dog bag route, just can't decide whether to get two small bags and seperate them or have a bigger one and bung them in together - any thoughts? TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #10375 Sat Jan 14 2006 10:58am
Slimer

United Kingdom 

An observation..... I think maybe some of you are forgetting the true purpose of a dog/cargo guard in your quest to find something that looks right and keeps the car clean (both valid points too). A metal guard prevents your dog from becoming a high speed canine projectile in the event of an accident and so make it a lot safer for the dog and other occupants of the vehicle. A mesh guard will simply get ripped out of the way though it will slow the dog down a bit in the process and a dog bag just means there's no legs sticking out as the dog flys forward into the back of your head and/or the windscreen. Admittedly the high backed seats in the RRS will help a lot but are not a true substitute for a rigid guard.

A boot liner and a folding dog cage maybe a better answer for many of you, these will keep the dog(s) safe and the car clean and both are easily removed when not required

My three penneth worth....

Si 

Post #10376 Sat Jan 14 2006 11:23am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
An observation..... I think maybe some of you are forgetting the true purpose of a dog/cargo guard in your quest to find something that looks right and keeps the car clean (both valid points too). A metal guard prevents your dog from becoming a high speed canine projectile in the event of an accident and so make it a lot safer for the dog and other occupants of the vehicle. A mesh guard will simply get ripped out of the way though it will slow the dog down a bit in the process and a dog bag just means there's no legs sticking out as the dog flys forward into the back of your head and/or the windscreen. Admittedly the high backed seats in the RRS will help a lot but are not a true substitute for a rigid guard.

A boot liner and a folding dog cage maybe a better answer for many of you, these will keep the dog(s) safe and the car clean and both are easily removed when not required

My three penneth worth....

Si

As always slimer has very valid points - thanks. A flying dog in your car could make a bit of a mess of your leather and head! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #10377 Sat Jan 14 2006 11:30am
Slimer

United Kingdom 

Very annoyed wrote:
As always slimer has very valid points - thanks.
Tries me best.... Smile

Very annoyed wrote:
A flying dog in your car could make a bit of a mess of your leather and head!
Chances are the dog won't fare too well either.... Shocked 

Post #10378 Sat Jan 14 2006 11:34am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

The dog bag is mean to be strapped in (to the tie down hooks) so it resolves that problem of flying forward in an accident. However, I don't tie ours down as we do take it out and I suppose I'm lazy. As you say the seat backs are high and the dog lies down, so it would be extremely unlikely that the dog would come forward.
One advantage of the DogBag is that you can still use the sliding cover while the DogBag is in the car, as it collapses down. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #10383 Sat Jan 14 2006 3:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Read the Lintran brochure from a customer who had a RR!

Post #10434 Sun Jan 15 2006 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1