RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > good buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

chapman

United Kingdom 
good buy

Is it a good move to buy a 2005 rrs,as the manu warrenty has expired.The dealer is giving a normal 3 month warrenty but a bit worried about breakdowns etc,or are they just a brilliant car and should i buy it.Its one ive been looking at for a while and really like it but need a bit of a push cos concerned about repairs etc.Only done 21k so not done alot of work any advice would be great cos if i get good reviews gonna go and get it asap.Cheers

Post #187108 Sun Sep 07 2008 8:31pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Check that it has a full service history and if you can get the VIN (it's in a visible window on the lower left side of the front screen) then ask a franchised LR service outlet to run it through the LR computer to see it's mechanical/repairs history as any car that has stayed within the dealer network should be recorded there.
You read on here of cars with problems but remember that for every car that is reported on a forum as being a bad'un there will be several hundred owners who have never had a problem. I would also be looking at taking out a fairly comprehensive warranty too - all Land Rovers are somewhat more complex than your average family car and when things do go wrong they tend to be expensive to fix. If you buy 2nd hand through a franchised LR dealer you get a years warranty which then has the option (for a charge) to extend it each year. I bought a 2nd hand 6 year old Defender 300Tdi 13 years ago, I had it on the Land Rover approved used warranty scheme until this year. It was worth every pound I paid for the extra warranty................................... the car has never broken down or had a problem in the 7 years I've owned it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #187110 Sun Sep 07 2008 9:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What are you getting for your money and how much? I have a 55 HSE for sale if interested - PM me for details. IMO you are getting a lot of car for your money at the moment - a 3 year old RRS is a sound buy the depreciation has gone and there is choice out there - forums like this are established and the support widespread - as Tim says get one with LR history (as almost all will have I am sure) ... I found the cost of extended warranty high and likely to cover significant repairs - at 3 years you don't need to use LR dealers anymore and can save money reducung the cost concern

best of luck - PM if interested.

Post #187111 Sun Sep 07 2008 9:29pm
chapman

United Kingdom 

I might sound a bit of a idiot but is a used LR warranty the same as a manufacterers one,does it cover the same ie everything.

Post #187113 Sun Sep 07 2008 10:36pm
Tim in Scotland

It's a used car warranty branded as Land Rover's own but IIRC it is provided by Royal and Sun Alliance - you can rest assured that if you want to claim then they will dispute it (just like any used car warranty Whistle ) and tell you that what you are claiming for is in their eyes "fair wear and tear" of a "consumable"
Sorry but I haven't kept my RRS's long enough to need to consider it or to know what is covered - but if you contact the site sponsor I'm sure that the sales team at Charles Hurst they will be able to tell you what the policy covers. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #187116 Sun Sep 07 2008 11:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Tim in Scotland wrote:
..... I bought a 2nd hand 6 year old Defender 300Tdi 13 years ago......... the car has never broken down or had a problem in the 7 years I've owned it.

But Tim - I thought you had to fit a new chassis at great expense after the original one turned to tissue paper ? RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #187295 Mon Sep 08 2008 11:43pm
Tim in Scotland

I did S, but don't count that as a problem or mechanical failure, it's part of owning an older Landy that lived it's first six years near the seaside and then the next 6 up to it's axles in peat bogs full of acidy water or rotting quetly on the drive Big Cry . 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #187297 Mon Sep 08 2008 11:48pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

OK, we obviously have a different view of what constitutes "a problem". In my world, the failure of one chassis and the need to fit a new one constitues a problem requiring substantial effort and expense to remedy. If Landy treated their vehicles to high quality metal (better still, galvanised metal) chassis and resisted the temptation to drill said structures full of holes or design them in such a way as encouraged damp mud to lurk unseen in numberless nooks and cranies, then they hopefully would last the working life of the rest of the vehicle.

Just look at how much "topsoil" we managed to liberate from the chassis on my Defender recently :

But hey ho, such "challenges" are all part of the joy of Landy ownership Thumbs Up RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #187300 Tue Sep 09 2008 12:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1