RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Raised air intake (Snorkel)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

640Newton

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Raised air intake (Snorkel)

Just wondering whether anyone here in Australia has fitted a snorkel to a RRS? I'm tempted to get one for my TDV8 as an insurance policy for when we go out playing.

However, a bloke I spoke to claimed that the Land Rover supplied unit doesn't come with a water drainage reservoir at the bottom of the snorkel/air box like the snorkel on my Disco 2 does (made by Safari Snorkels). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks, 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #186222 Mon Sep 01 2008 11:43am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

The LR RAI is just that a Raised intake - IT IS NOT A SNORKEL! Wading depth is the same with it fitted as without. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #186224 Mon Sep 01 2008 11:48am
640Newton

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Very Annoyed wrote:
The LR RAI is just that a Raised intake - IT IS NOT A SNORKEL! Wading depth is the same with it fitted as without.

Thanks for clarifying that VA. If that's the case, do you know of anyone that makes a snorkel for the RRS? I can't seem to find one on the Safari Snorkel website, which is the only brand of snorkel I know.

Cheers, 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #186225 Mon Sep 01 2008 11:57am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

As far as I'm aware no one makes one. I seem to remember that someone makes one for the D3 - it might be worth visiting our sister site disco3.co.uk and asking there about the D3 one and then seeing if the manufacturers can midify it for the RRS. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #186230 Mon Sep 01 2008 12:07pm
Leo

Kenya 

You can modify the LR RAI to work as a snorkel, it's not too difficult - or modify the D3 Safari snorkel to fit the RRS. Someone on the D3 site even made his own.....

Have you tried calling Safari - their website may not be up to date.

In any case, you don't want to exceed the official wading depth for too long without waterproofing the ECU behind the battery box and other vulnerable parts.

Thumbs Up

Post #186239 Mon Sep 01 2008 2:01pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

I think I was told that ARB could 'waterproof' the raised intake thus making it a snorkel.. I may be wrong though...

Post #186358 Mon Sep 01 2008 11:59pm
DTR

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Atacama Sand
Raised air noise

Hi.
I had a RAI fitted prior heading way out west, well Camerons Corner etc. The ridgy didge product had a problem in as much that the rear part of the unit does not seal against the body letting you see daylight to the road. Another RRS here in Canberra has exactly the same problem I have not seen any others so can not comment for a greater sample size. The dealer even had the local rep present and showed them the problem. In the end I asked that they used a non paint etching sealing agent (silastic) to get rid of the gap as I did not want a venturi going through bull dust!!!
I emailed Mantec expressing my disappointment at OEM product and asking if they had an alternative for the RRS. Thank god that I do not get to embarrased as they informed me that they produced the OEM RAI Embarassed and that mine was the first install that they had heard of with that problem.
Still remains a problem and on another note since I had the RAI fitted my indicated fuel consumption (3.6 TDI) has increased from 9.7l/100 to 10.4l/100 Sad

Post #186492 Wed Sep 03 2008 9:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1