RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > 19" tyre options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

640Newton

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
19" tyre options

Hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums.

I picked up a new TDV8 about 2 months ago and I'm now looking for some different tyre options that are slightly more suited to off-road driving. It came with Goodyear Wrangler F1, which are pretty useless on-road so I can imagine they are going to be awful if they even smell dirt.

I was planning on getting myself a set of 17" or 18" rims with decent off-raod tyres to so I could change the rims when I wanted to go and play but have since realised that with the Brembo brakes on the TDV8, you can only fit or 19" or 20" rims.

Has anyone gone through the exercise of trying to find an AT or even a slightly more aggressive HT tyre in 19"?

Many thanks,

Post #186178 Mon Sep 01 2008 4:14am
enzojunior

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

640newton,

I just had 4 new Khumos put on mine. They are 285/35/19 and have a nice aggressive tread and look phat!! Tread wear is 420 (this is about a medium wear rating). The good news is they were only $275 each at Tempe Tyryes on the Princes Highway at Tempe in Sydney. My dealer suggests that if I get 30,000km out of any set of tyres I'm doing really well. 2006 Black/Alpaca, Hi Ice, Dynamic Pack, 19" wheels, Clear Pack...

Post #186179 Mon Sep 01 2008 5:50am
640Newton

thanks enzo.

I guess the ideal scenrio would be to get a second set of 19" rims and fit them with Goodyear MTR's, that way I could swap them over easily when I want to do proper off-road. I've got BF Goodrich MT's on my Disco 2 and they really give you that extra confidence to tackle serious obtacles.

It seems though (from my basic searching so far) that there is really nothing in between the standard HT and the MTR's, which aren't really suited for everyday driving.

What is the laod/speed rating of your tyres? 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #186186 Mon Sep 01 2008 7:33am
Leo

Kenya 

Pirelli make the Scorpion ATR in 19" (255/55/19). These are better than road tyres but not as aggressive as e.g. a BFG A/T or General Grabber AT2.

They get good reviews here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...orpion+ATR

I've heard that General might release a 19" version of the AT2, but don't know when.

Post #186243 Mon Sep 01 2008 2:10pm
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White

Hi 640,

It looks like we have similar needs in terms of AT tyres. What did you end up finding? and what was available in Australia for the 19" rims? Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #223504 Mon Apr 27 2009 6:44am
640Newton

Hi working dog,

I ended up buying a second set of matching rims (sitting in my garden shed) and I'm going to fit the Goodyear MTR's when I get around to it. I had MTR's on may previous Discovery and found them to be excellent for off-road but bordering on useless for road driving, so the 2nd set of rims was the only real option.

I picked up the rims via Alto Land Rover for $1,200 for a set of 4 and not a mark on them!! 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #223505 Mon Apr 27 2009 6:55am
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White

Hi 640

Censored - I was hoping you had done all of the work for me Wink

I will start the hunt in earnest now to see what is available here in Oz. Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #223508 Mon Apr 27 2009 7:14am
640Newton

The Goodyear MTR's are definitely available as I've got a quote previously. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #223509 Mon Apr 27 2009 7:17am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

I thought I read that Cooper's now had some in Land Rover sizes?!?!

Post #223517 Mon Apr 27 2009 8:32am
640Newton

2nd Rower wrote:
I thought I read that Cooper's now had some in Land Rover sizes?!?!

Available in all LR/RR sizes except 19"... work that one out if you can? 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #223518 Mon Apr 27 2009 8:57am
fred looney

Australia 

640 you said at the start of your post that the Wrangles F1's were no good on or off road why was that mine have done 40/- k's and look like they will get another 5/- I have never had a problem with them on or off road.

Is there something I am missing about them? RRS TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Post #223590 Mon Apr 27 2009 11:08pm
640Newton

As long as you are only doing moderate & dry weather off-road driving then they are fine for most circumstances. However, they are called Highway Terrain tyres for a reason and as soon as you throw anything more challenging at them their effectiveness reduces significantly.

Try driving on wet clay tracks and they clog up quicker than a dutch shoe festival; take them on rocky tracks where there is anything sharper than a tooth pick and the side wall shreds like a Securitor Security Bin. Try river crossings and steep muddy exits and the tyres turn into slicks that Lewis Hamilton would be proud of. There have also been circumstances where the MTR's have performed better in sand.

I'm not saying that the F1's aren't good for what they are designed for (80% road / 20% dirt) but my experience has been that they simply don't perform when you start doing serious off-road stuff particularly in adverse weather. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #223591 Mon Apr 27 2009 11:23pm
fred looney

Australia 

Ok thanks for your comments

What would say say would be a better tyre for on road preformance with some better offraod ability than the wrangler. RRS TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Post #223596 Tue Apr 28 2009 2:24am
640Newton

Unfortunately, we are very limited for choice with 19" rims in Australia. You could look and see whether you can find a set of Michelin Diamara somewhere, although they seem to have stopped importing them here.

There is a Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyre in 255/55 R19, which is more aggressive than either the ContiSportContact or Wrangler F1. This appears to be the only All-Terrain style tyre available albeit is slightly the wrong size.

So it's basically Highway Terrain (Goodyear, Continental or Michelin) that are all 80-90% road biased, or a true mud-terrain tyre (Goodyear MTR) that are designed for 80% off-road use.

I was quite disappointed that the Cooper tyres that were announced with much fanfare for Land Rover/Range Rover covered every size combination except for 19" rims. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #223597 Tue Apr 28 2009 3:01am
fred looney

Australia 

Your right about the limited choices of 19inch wheels. I will look at the Michelin's to see if any are arround other wise the Pirelli's might be the go

Thanks for your help RRS TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Post #223598 Tue Apr 28 2009 3:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>