RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RR Sport- Taking Delivery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Robbo66

RR Sport- Taking Delivery

Hi,
Fist of all apologies as I'm a reluctant X5 Diesel owner, however due to take delivery on March 1st of new RRS Diesel.

Drove one and found it sluggish compared to the X5. The torque and excelleration are pretty woeful in comparison. But I don't play for fulchester united, don't wear D&G nor have an Ian Poulter hair do, so need to get out of the X5.
Looking for opinions on the HSE Diesel if possible.
Can't justify 18mpg on SC by the way.
Much appreciated.

Robbo

Post #9917 Tue Jan 10 2006 2:57pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Robbo - I own a diesel and too find it a bit sluggish, it is howver better when you use the sports gears. I think you would be pressed to find a SC owner doing 18mpg, I do about 20mpg in my diesel with 70% urban driving. All in all I love the RRS, it looks great, it drives well and I'm very comfortable in it. I've never been in a X5 so I cann't give you a comparison but there are people on this forum who can. Let us know what options you have ordered. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9918 Tue Jan 10 2006 3:06pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

You're right Robbo, the diesel X5 does perform better in a straight line (and some might argue round a bend too) than the diesel RRS. The 3.0d in the BMW is more powerful by about 30bhp and of course doesn't weigh 2.5tons like the RRS.

All that said, I drive a diesel RRS and once I'd got used to it I found the performance quite acceptable considering the type of car. The engine does seem to improve with age as well. I have had mine for 4 months now and its now a lot looser and less frustrating to drive. I came from an M3, so know what taking a drop in performance is all about Wink

I spent a couple of hours in a X5 3.0d Sport when test driving 4x4s and although it's a nice enough car I feel it doesn't have the appeal and capability of the RRS. And of course, X5s are ten-a-penny, especially with reg nums that begin X5... Rolling Eyes

Edit: Sorry was going to mention mpg too. I tend to get around 25mpg in mine, but I tend to do longer/faster journeys. Don't be overly surprised if you find your X5 much less thirsty than even the diesel RRS - remember this is a HEAVY vehicle. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9923 Tue Jan 10 2006 3:36pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

As shmoogle says, while the performance of the RRS is less than X5, you do soon get used to it and it isn't really an issue after a few months. Overtaking can still be a bit scary though. The diesel engine does improve as it beds in. Our RRS is now 8 months old and done about 13k miles - it got better above 5k miles and still improved up to about 10k miles. We average around 22mpg for general local driving.
You can always get the turbochip upgrade if you want to improve things. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #9925 Tue Jan 10 2006 4:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbo66

Thanks for the opinions.
Looking at chipping through DMS who officially chip on site at main dealer in Hants. They have chipped serious numbers. Can't handle the 'worry' factor when overtaking. Would have cancelled otherwise, talk about a sheep in wolfs clothing.
Grey/black.

By the way just read about an impending larger engine for the RRS Diesel. Is this true and if so when ??

All the best Rob

Post #10001 Tue Jan 10 2006 8:50pm
Pelyma

England 

Do you mean a LR main dealer or DMS site in Andover. If it is a LR dealer please could you let me know which?

Post #10002 Tue Jan 10 2006 9:36pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

It's true there is a 3.5 V8 diesel on the way probably in the RR first later this year and then the RRS but then again who knows? But LR aren't giving any clues as to when and which model first. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #10004 Tue Jan 10 2006 9:46pm
Pelyma

England 

Likely to be RR first as they still buy the engines from BMW, then probably RRS but probably not D3 which will get a 3.0 TDV6 Crying or Very sad

Post #10005 Tue Jan 10 2006 9:53pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Welcome ex X5 owner.
The one difference i can say from my brother in laws X5 is, the suspension. The Air suspension is a lot better then the X5 normal setup.

The quality of the interior is better on the X5, but is a little dated now.
RRS interior is excellent sitting position wise and as far as mine goes, everything works well and as expected. Buy a HSE and you get pretty everything standard as well.. With only a few options to pick off the list.
Exterior wise, RRS is a fresh look and you get a lot of looks from X5/ ML/XC thingy drivers.. No offence but an X5 is as common as a ford focus nowadays, i considered one myself a little while ago.. but there are just too many around!

Have seen a couple of old X5 driver, now have shiny new 55 plater RRS's on their driveways, seems a lot of people are making the shift.
Performance is definitely down in the RRS, but as said above, you get a slightly different package in the RRS as it does weigh in at 2.5 T... the RRS is chunkier and sits better on the road.

To be honest, i usually change cars and get bored 6-8 months into ownership.. and although this is still the case now (due to me not the car must i add), i simply cannot find another car which will give me the presence and tick all the boxes like the RRS does. Have been working through a list of cars and simply can't come to see the RRS go..
Merc CLS
Bmw 6 Series
and now more recently an Audi S4, but still nothing is dragging the RRS off my driveway quite yet.. (plus they do alright on the old residuals being so early in the model lifecylce) order yours now and you will beable to have a good drive in it before the V8 diesel is even spoken about officially.

Post #10007 Tue Jan 10 2006 10:06pm
Robbo66

I'll check with main dealer tomorrow. Any hint of a new engine within 12 month period and I'll wait. Residuals on 2.7 will take a significant hit once time frame issued on launch. Just out of a 997S for same reason, 4S due to dealers, 2S values on slide.
Can't believe the cynisism of these manufacturers, a new engine already....why not introduce an engine powerful enough to push 2.5 tonnes in first place. Never thought I'd need to watch the market to buy a diesel....nightmare.

Rob

Post #10012 Wed Jan 11 2006 12:31am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Robbo, my dealer expects RRS V8 diesels to be released around October 2006. I also considered waiting for that but decided to accept delivery of a RRS TDv6 in late December 2005 with a view to swapping her out after 10 months for the TDv8. I figured that the drop in residual value on the TDv6 over that 10 months probably would be equivalent to the amount I would drop in the Merc E320cdi I was driving - and we are forecast a bad winter.

I am now waiting at home for a recovery truck to come and take her back to the dealer as the suspension has failed ......

Post #10028 Wed Jan 11 2006 9:57am
Robbo66

Just spoke to dealer. Confirmed V8 is option from October 2006. V8 Engine going into RR as early as June. RR will still run the 2.7 (probably from guilt at releasing new unit so quickly) as cheaper option. Though why on earth anyone will opt for smaller unit is beyond me.
I therefore cancelled my order for 2.7, and transferred the 2K deposit through to V8. Dealer totally understood my decision, particulalry where residual values on the 2.7 are concerned following imminent official press release and press testing.

Rob

Post #10029 Wed Jan 11 2006 10:17am
Pelyma

England 

Pelyma wrote:
Do you mean a LR main dealer or DMS site in Andover. If it is a LR dealer please could you let me know which?

Hi Robbo Any chance you can clarify above, send a PM if you would prefer.

Cheers

Post #10030 Wed Jan 11 2006 10:21am
Robbo66

Mike from DMS did tell me but forgotton name of dealer. Live in Cardiff so not relevant form me I'm afraid. It was the official delaer in Hants though. Suggest you ring him if unsure.

Rob

Post #10048 Wed Jan 11 2006 11:08am
Pelyma

England 

Cheers Rob

Post #10060 Wed Jan 11 2006 1:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>