RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Cool box thermostat clicking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Cool box thermostat clicking

During my recent holiday I needed to use the cool box and........................................... well it didn't cool anything. First I tried 4 already cooled cans of Pepsi in the box and they didn't stay cool, even the frozen solid icebricks from my faithful Coleman non powered cool box were not kept cool and neother did they stop the clicking from what I think must be the thermostat.
Does the cool box have it's own refrigeration system separate from the Aircon? If so then there is no requirement in the manual to run it periodically like you should do if you don't use the sircon often.
Also with all the rough roads out on Tiree it is now obvious that the bushes in the suspension are well worn out as I got the dreaded rattle from the suspension with every rough bit of road............................ no hammer or hissing from the DR system though! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #186143 Sun Aug 31 2008 8:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mlines

United Kingdom 

I think that the coolbox does not have any refrigeration as such at all.

I think it blows a fan across a thermoelectric cooler, the only noise you should hear are the fans. The clicking is probably a faulty fan.

http://www.koolatron.com/test/images/thermoelectric.html 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #186158 Sun Aug 31 2008 10:17pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Tim, the Coolbox isn't connected to the aircon system in any way. It is simply a plug in system.

The clicking you mention could be a small label on the electrical harness which is somehow fouling against the coolbox fan as it rotates.

Sounds like you need a trip to your local stealers I'm afraid. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #186171 Sun Aug 31 2008 11:46pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Cool Box

Tim, if this could be of help...

The cool box is an open topped container with an aluminum liner and an insulating outer layer. A thermoelectric cooler is installed in the front of the container. The top of the container is covered by the cubby box tray and the cubby box lid. An electrical connector on the front of the cool box connects the cool box to the console harness.

Operation of the thermoelectric cooler is controlled by an on/off switch on the top front edge of the container. A permanent battery feed is supplied to the on/off switch from the central junction box (CJB). A light emitting diode (LED) in the on/off switch is illuminated while the cool box is selected on.

The thermoelectric cooler is a solid state heat pump that uses the Peltier Effect to cool the inside of the cool box. The Peltier Effect occurs when a direct current is passed through a circuit of two dissimilar conductors, which are connected together at two junctions; this causes one junction to become cold and one junction to become hot. The potential difference between the two conductors creates an electric field at each junction; when a current is then applied to the circuit the charge flows against the direction of the electric field at one junction, causing it to absorb heat, and with the direction of the electric field at the other junction, causing it to release heat. In thermoelectric coolers, a number of these circuits (known as couples) are connected together, in series, and sandwiched between ceramic plates, then connected to a heatsink and fan. On the cool box, the cold side of the thermoelectric cooler is attached to the aluminum liner and the heatsink and fan are installed on the insulating outer layer.

Smile Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #186176 Mon Sep 01 2008 2:47am
Steve in germany

Germany 

I'm not taking the Pi** here Tim, but did the Green LED come on when you switched the fridge on. Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #186187 Mon Sep 01 2008 7:40am
Tim in Scotland

Steve - no green light comes on permanently, it flashes when the switch is put to the right and then goes out but the clicks start out as one click followed by a group of 5 clicks every 7-10 secs and then they progressively get slower but never stop.

Bobby thanks for the techy stuff - we have a fridge that operates on the same principle on the yacht that I sail on 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #186207 Mon Sep 01 2008 10:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve in germany

Germany 

On mine the Green Led stays on, think it might need a visit to your local dealer. Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #186209 Mon Sep 01 2008 10:38am
Tim in Scotland

1st service is due in the next 2 months, I'm sure it isn't going to be so warm again before then so it can wait either for the local dealer or CHPR to have a look at it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #186213 Mon Sep 01 2008 10:51am
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

yup, my light stays on aswell. Also cools very well. Even without the little lid thing. Which i took off ageeeees ago.

Post #186226 Mon Sep 01 2008 11:58am
Sexy Pauly

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

i bought mini bottles of champain to put in there, but the problem is, the car doesnt cool when the engine is off,

is it possible to rewire it so its always cool? also will this damage the car and run the battery flat? it was awfully imbarasing when i pulled out a mini Moet bottle and it was HOT! RR Sport supercharged 06
strut grills, strut 22" wheels, Full Kahn Kit
Brembo big brake kit, tinted front and rear lights

CLS 63 AMG Mercedes 2008, Cayenne Turbo S 2007, C32 AMG mercedes 2004, Vito Van 111CDI 2004

Post #186229 Mon Sep 01 2008 12:04pm
Bobby

Sexy Pauly wrote:
i bought mini bottles of champain to put in there, but the problem is, the car doesnt cool when the engine is off,

is it possible to rewire it so its always cool? also will this damage the car and run the battery flat? it was awfully imbarasing when i pulled out a mini Moet bottle and it was HOT!

If the engine is not running and your cool box switches off, this means the battery voltage is low and the cool box has switched itself off! Smile

So why should you rewire it to run the battery flat? It will be much more embarrasing then! Wink Malaysia Boleh!

Post #186231 Mon Sep 01 2008 1:14pm
Lookers Park Royal

Tim in Scotland wrote:
1st service is due in the next 2 months, I'm sure it isn't going to be so warm again before then so it can wait either for the local dealer or CHPR to have a look at it.

Tim, sorry to hear about the problems, it was only the other day that you mentioned that you'd had no issues at all. Obviously we'll have a look when the service is due, unless you are this was in the meantime?

James Thumbs Up

Post #186237 Mon Sep 01 2008 1:42pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Bobby wrote:
Cool Box

Tim, if this could be of help...

The cool box is an open topped container with an aluminum liner and an insulating outer layer. A thermoelectric cooler is installed in the front of the container. The top of the container is covered by the cubby box tray and the cubby box lid. An electrical connector on the front of the cool box connects the cool box to the console harness.

Operation of the thermoelectric cooler is controlled by an on/off switch on the top front edge of the container. A permanent battery feed is supplied to the on/off switch from the central junction box (CJB). A light emitting diode (LED) in the on/off switch is illuminated while the cool box is selected on.

The thermoelectric cooler is a solid state heat pump that uses the Peltier Effect to cool the inside of the cool box. The Peltier Effect occurs when a direct current is passed through a circuit of two dissimilar conductors, which are connected together at two junctions; this causes one junction to become cold and one junction to become hot. The potential difference between the two conductors creates an electric field at each junction; when a current is then applied to the circuit the charge flows against the direction of the electric field at one junction, causing it to absorb heat, and with the direction of the electric field at the other junction, causing it to release heat. In thermoelectric coolers, a number of these circuits (known as couples) are connected together, in series, and sandwiched between ceramic plates, then connected to a heatsink and fan. On the cool box, the cold side of the thermoelectric cooler is attached to the aluminum liner and the heatsink and fan are installed on the insulating outer layer.

Smile

Bobby = Mr. Incredible Smile Thumbs Up

PS: Tim - when i switch mine on it has a permanent blue light in the switch that is on.... and it cools well i transport medication for my son in there all the time.. 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #186240 Mon Sep 01 2008 2:02pm
Sexy Pauly

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

so the cool box should be on all the time? thats weird! i want it on all the time to keep the bubbly cool, and the women cooler!

whats the point otherwise? RR Sport supercharged 06
strut grills, strut 22" wheels, Full Kahn Kit
Brembo big brake kit, tinted front and rear lights

CLS 63 AMG Mercedes 2008, Cayenne Turbo S 2007, C32 AMG mercedes 2004, Vito Van 111CDI 2004

Post #186263 Mon Sep 01 2008 3:14pm
Bobby

Sexy Pauly wrote:
so the cool box should be on all the time? thats weird! i want it on all the time to keep the bubbly cool, and the women cooler!

whats the point otherwise?

Hope this extract from the manual will explain...

The cool box is switched on/off using the switch on the inside front lip of the cool box. This switch has a built-in indicator which will illuminate to show that the cool box is operating. There is a short delay (1-2 seconds) between pressing the switch, and illumination of the indicator. During this period the control system checks the battery voltage.

If the indicator does not illuminate when the cool box is switched on, or it goes out while the cool box is operating, this means that the battery voltage is low and the cool box has switched itself off. This will only happen when the engine is not running.

If the engine is started, the indicator will illuminate and the cool box will continue to operate.
The cool box should be left switched off when it is not needed to protect the vehicle battery.
 Malaysia Boleh!

Post #186357 Mon Sep 01 2008 11:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>