RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Boot power socket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 
Boot power socket

Is there an easy way to make the power socket stay on even when the key is not in the ignition. I have a battery charger that needs to stay on constantly. (Yes I know about drain on the car's battery etc.) I guess this will probably be a dealer fix! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9563 Fri Jan 06 2006 11:52am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I asked our dealer about this and they said no. We wanted the power socket to stay on so my daughters DVD player didn't switch off everytime we stopped - it would then reset back to the begining of the film. Very annoying when we were just stopping at a petrol station. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #9564 Fri Jan 06 2006 11:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

mpwox11 wrote:
....... We wanted the power socket to stay on so my daughters DVD player didn't switch off everytime we stopped - it would then reset back to the begining of the film. Very annoying when we were just stopping at a petrol station.

Here Here........ Blo*dy annoying Exclamation 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #9586 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:22pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

mpwox11 wrote:
I asked our dealer about this and they said no. We wanted the power socket to stay on so my daughters DVD player didn't switch off everytime we stopped - it would then reset back to the begining of the film. Very annoying when we were just stopping at a petrol station.

Did your dealer say they couldn't do it? If they said they couldn't why not! When you open the doors the interior lights go on so surely a bit of rewiring is all that's needed. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9594 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:31pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

and you can listen to the radio etc without the keys in the ignition, so why cant they sort the aux/power ? 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #9601 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:46pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Don't forget they don't overflow with generosity about powering devices with the ignition off - you can't listen to the radio etc indefinitely before it goes into power save mode. DVD players and the such are going to be much greater drains on the battery than the radio, so that's probably the rationale behind the decision. Doesn't mean it's not a bit stingey though - they could leave power for 5 mins or so, enough to fill up and drive away again. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9602 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:49pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

The dealer told me that they would have to install a new feed from the battery and put in a new power socket from this. They told me that the existing ones couldn't be rewired because they don't use standard cables. Then starting to tell me that they are wired by fibre optics! - which is total bull - they didn't realise they were talking to an IT techie who's original training was in electronics.
Anyway, the result was that the costs outweighed the benefits. I also didn’t really want them to completely strip out the centre console on a 3 month old vehicle. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #9605 Fri Jan 06 2006 2:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1