RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > What is good about the RRS?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Julian Thompson

What is good about the RRS?

Hi everyone!

New user here - love the way the RRS looks but now it's time to take the plunge and change my ageing 330d tourer for a new car I've been investigating more closely.

The TDV8 looks brill - but there are just SO many fault threads on here I'm honestly terrified about buying one. I have had 46000 faultless miles in the 330d over the last 5 years and I am concerned that the RRS might be more trouble than it's worth?

My other choice is the ML420 which looks not quite as sharp but might be quicker and more reliable?

I know this is a RRS forum so I guess I best post a question rather than waffling!

What specifically makes the RRS, in your opinion, better than the competition - what makes it worth the pain of the problems? - Or in reality are the problems less prolific than they appear reading the forum?

Thanks!

Post #179036 Mon Jul 21 2008 9:10pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Julian,

Welcome to the forum - to be honest, go on any car forum and you will find it full of fault threads - this is the nature of car forums. The RRS is no worse than any other 4x4 in my opinion - had mine for 14 months and never had one problem with it and you will find many other owners with the same experience.

Its a great car and the TDV8 makes it even better

Kaine

Post #179039 Mon Jul 21 2008 9:45pm
Julian Thompson

Thanks for that - I guessed as much - and I do agree with what you say about a forum such as this kind of distilling all feeling into one concentrated source.

I am a bit worried about that knocking noise thing though.... Shocked

Another subject - perhaps a thorny one - is price!

I note that Merc have massive incentives to sell the ML420 right now - so I called a LR dealer to sound them out (I actually called 2!) and they didn't sound very excited to offer much discount!

Should I expect to pay full list, therefore (ie I don't think I can stretch to it!!) , or can anyone recommend a dealer than will do a great deal?

Post #179040 Mon Jul 21 2008 10:16pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Yep, the knocking noise seems to be the 'key fault' for the RRS at the moment, however saying that mine had Dynamic Response and never suffered it.

On the price, it does seem the overseas demand for the RRS means the UK supply is still down, hence the small discounts - there are deals to be had though (I believe 4-6% ish) - try James (Charles Hurst LR) or Kam (member: kam100).

On the ML front, discounts are high because the aren't selling. I almost bought a GL420 as they were offering almost 14k of book as an incentive Shocked

Kaine

Post #179041 Mon Jul 21 2008 10:23pm
Lookers Park Royal

Julian,

Happy to look after you (as we do all forum members). Feel free to drop me an email to jamestayler@charleshurstgroup.co.uk with your required spec/colour and I will be able to give you some options from pre-owned, to ex-demo, to 2008.5my and then 2009my. If you would like to part-exchange the BMW then that's not a problem but if you could give me a full appraisal of the spec, condition etc. We also have some very keen finance packages too.

As I say, drop me a line and I can give you some options. I am in a meeting AM and PM tomorrow and off site Wednesday, so apologies if if I can't respond immediately, however if I have your email then I will get to it as soon as I come up for air!!

James Thumbs Up

PS Kaine, is that another £10 we owe you now then!! Thumbs Up

Post #179044 Mon Jul 21 2008 11:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Julian Thompson

Great - Have sent you a mail James and we can explore the possibilities!

Post #179045 Mon Jul 21 2008 11:21pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

What's not good with the RRS.........

I have had the usual niggles but TBH I would not change it for the world, well I lie, I would change it, but only for the up and coming 5.0...........niggles yes, but every car I have owned has had those.........this is my 37th car in 18 years......the RRS - LOVE IT Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #179048 Mon Jul 21 2008 11:42pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum, Julian... the money is on the TDV8 right now. The engine is fantastic and of course, the RRS is a very attractive package in it's own right. See how you go with James and in the interests of balance, see what figures you can get from another forum sponsor, kam100 at MHC Thumbs Up

Let us know how it all goes Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #179076 Tue Jul 22 2008 10:29am
kam100

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum Julian..

Thanks for the plug Kaine and shmoogle!

The RR Sport is still performing better on the market then all other SUV's but they are a little softer then they used to be. You should beable to secure a decent chunk off new and we will be happy to help with that, along with competitive rates on finance deals. GAP RTI insurance is available at knock down prices as well.

Anything you need, drop me a line: kam@mhasnain.co.uk

Cheers
Kam.

Last edited by kam100 on Tue Jul 22 2008 2:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #179118 Tue Jul 22 2008 12:42pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Hi Julian - welcome to the forum

As you can see - I no longer have mine - But, I must say that having ran my Supercharged from new for 18mths it was a pleasure. No more faults/niggles than experienced with any car/manufacturer I have owned. The supercharged is awesome but thirsty. I'd go for the TDV8 if I was buying another, they have improved the interiors so much since I had mine too Confused

The RRS is the best looking 4x4xFar

Go on... You know it makes sense Thumbs Up 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #179123 Tue Jul 22 2008 1:11pm
A12DY B

United Kingdom 

I have a 2 and half year old RRS supercharged and have owned it for 2 months now and find it a pleasure,

have had the odd niggle with clips and little niggles easily sorted by the dealer,

but no other 4x4 has its road presance and they are stunning to look at and drive

Post #179157 Tue Jul 22 2008 4:16pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Wecome Julian,

We have had our TDV6 HSE for nearly 2 1/2yrs without missing a beat and it is the most enjoyable car we've ever owned.

That said, i'm sure the ML420 is also a great piece of kit and the engine is (From magazine reviews) a real powerhouse.

The best thing, like with any car purchase is shortlist, then drive each of them and buy the one you like the best.

Not the most profound statement, I know but has always worked for me Laughing Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #179192 Wed Jul 23 2008 7:30am
KevinJM

Yugoslavia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I've been running a TDV6 for 3 years and had all sorts of niggles and problems: When it came to changing however there was really nothing out there to interest me apart from the TDV8. All the german stuff is fairly anodyne - very sharp and smart but soulless. What's wrong with the RRS? I guess we all have our tales of woe but if you buy something with a bit of character you will also have to put up with the glitches. It's a bit like being married I suppose Embarassed RRS TDV6 (gone)
RRS TDV8 HSE(gone, burned out)
ML 320 CDI Airmatic

Post #179457 Wed Jul 23 2008 10:34pm
bob242

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Julian,

Fisrt it depends where you live : here in France after sales is so rubbish that you'd better go for another brand...

For the rest it depends on why you are willing to buy a 4x4 ? I bougth mine for my wife because i wanted her to be able to drive under any circumstances and to be safe whatever the type of road or conditions. In my opinion a LR and toyota are the best to bring you where ever you want.

If you want a fast driving car for motorways go for a cayenne.
If you want an elegant design go for the X6.
If you are a medic or a lawyer go for mercedes so that you can shine in society.

But if you are a gentleman well mannered that drives safely go for a range rover (either sport or classic depending on your age !)

bests

Post #179557 Thu Jul 24 2008 9:56am
sportman

United Arab Emirates 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

The good about RRS are:
1. It's Look and appearance
2. power
3. off-road capability 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Buckingham Blue, Ivory converted to HST Silver

SOLD-V8 Defender 90

Post #179724 Fri Jul 25 2008 5:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>