RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Hardwiring a radar detector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

great idea ref the camera.. the number of times I wish I could "record" my fellow motorists dangerous driving and mail it to plod

On a seperate note (and forgive me if this has been said further up the thread) but any kind of radar detector or GPS sat nav with speed camera positions is an instant 1500 euro fine in France, so any hard wiring of such equipement will deam the car un-usable for international travel to Europe.. RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #348629 Tue Jun 26 2012 3:11pm
MattMatt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Don't wish to hijack the thread but with regard to a Dash Cam, I'd be interested to know if this was a constant live feed or ignition fed cause I'm just about to fit a Road Angel Halo

Post #464231 Wed Jun 10 2015 2:18pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's 3 years old, so you are forgiven!! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #464235 Wed Jun 10 2015 2:51pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

MattMatt wrote:
Don't wish to hijack the thread but with regard to a Dash Cam, I'd be interested to know if this was a constant live feed or ignition fed cause I'm just about to fit a Road Angel Halo

If you use the green/white wire it is live as soon as you turn the ignition on and is 'off' a few seconds after the ignition is switched off. Same as the interior light. Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #464245 Wed Jun 10 2015 3:44pm
garrycol

Australia 

umbertob wrote:
Regarding hard wiring, First, grab the front edge of the overhead console with the tip of your fingers and pull down firmly, the console should come loose and open up without much effort:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just followed these instructions and it did not go quite as advertised.

When I pulled down at the front - not only did the light fitting come out but the light metal frame also got ripped out of the roof. You can see the light grey frame still in place in the roof lining, surrounding the hole in the second pic.

Here is the frame - it was badly bent out of shape but I have sort of straightened it.
Click image to enlarge

I tried fitting it back to the roof lining but it is now badly twisted - hopefully I can straighten without breaking it - it is very flimsy and will fracture where it is bent.

I will fold up the tabs so it will fit in the hole and then bend then back.

I would suggest pulling the front down sharply as suggested but gently pull the front until it just starts to move and then go around to the sides and gently prise the sides down until they start to move and then back to the front then back to the sides - gently goes it not the sharp pull as suggested.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #482167 Fri Dec 11 2015 8:06am
garrycol

Australia 

Different spec cars seem to have different wiring - on my TDV6 the green and white wire is NOT switched and in fact seems to do nothing.

The Blue and Purple wire is constant 12v, the black wire is an earth and I do not have the solid purple wire - in its place I have a brown wire that is 12v when the door is open and is 12v for a few seconds when the ignition is turned off - fades from 12v to 0 volts over 2 seconds.

umbertob wrote:
Detail of the hot connection to the overhead lights harness. Make sure you pick the striped green/white wire only, the others are either not 12v or they are unswitched
Click image to enlarge

So it would seem I do not have ignition energised 12v up in my overhead console.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #482289 Sun Dec 13 2015 3:02am
Mani

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

New road angel 2 best bit of kit have had mine for almost 10 years, it pings 250m before it shows on the LT 20/20 Laser Gun, mind you, you do have to pay £36.00 per year but well worth it anyone a demo of mine can do so, also covers fixed, average, Gat so and many more it has a IR so picks up hand held guns which most modern devices can not do.

Mani G

Post #504398 Fri Sep 02 2016 6:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mani

New Road Angel

Post #504399 Fri Sep 02 2016 6:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mani

New Road Angel

Post #504400 Fri Sep 02 2016 6:10pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

garrycol wrote:
Different spec cars seem to have different wiring - on my TDV6 the green and white wire is NOT switched and in fact seems to do nothing.

The Blue and Purple wire is constant 12v, the black wire is an earth and I do not have the solid purple wire - in its place I have a brown wire that is 12v when the door is open and is 12v for a few seconds when the ignition is turned off - fades from 12v to 0 volts over 2 seconds.

umbertob wrote:
Detail of the hot connection to the overhead lights harness. Make sure you pick the striped green/white wire only, the others are either not 12v or they are unswitched
Click image to enlarge

So it would seem I do not have ignition energised 12v up in my overhead console.

Garry

I just hard wired my dash cam into the overhead console and like you, I didn't have a green and white wire. I looked closely at the picture and noticed that I did have a green and yellow? wire which I tapped into.
Now when I unlock the car with the remote the dash cam fires up and when I lock it the dash cam shuts down after 15 seconds.
All you need to do is find the feed to your courtesy light and tap into that. Sounds like it might be the brown wire. 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #524325 Sun Apr 23 2017 9:42pm
IRBails

Australia 

awd man wrote:
great idea ref the camera.. the number of times I wish I could "record" my fellow motorists dangerous driving and mail it to plod

On a seperate note (and forgive me if this has been said further up the thread) but any kind of radar detector or GPS sat nav with speed camera positions is an instant 1500 euro fine in France, so any hard wiring of such equipement will deam the car un-usable for international travel to Europe..

If you want speed cameras on your mobile phone I can recommend the Speed Camera app by Sygic this is the best speed camera app I have ever owned, by the way I have no association with the company. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #526668 Wed May 24 2017 10:51am
Mani

Any thoughts on cheetah c550 Combined with target blue eye

Hi Chaps just wondering what your thoughts where on me getting installed cheetah c550 along with target blue eye
any feedback would be welcome

Cheers

Mani

Bow down Bow down Bow down Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Whistle Whistle MY08 RR SPORT3.6TD V8 FULLY LOADED, COOLER BOX, GVIF UNIT, PIONEER AVIC-F980DAB HEAD UNIT, RETAINING 4X4 INFO OEM SCREEN AND TS-WX130DA SUB
REAR 9 INCH TOUCH SCREEN HEADREST TV SCREENS, WIRELESS HEADRESTS, IN-CAR WIFI MIRROR BOX FOR WATCHING INTERNET TVIE BBC I-PLAYER ETC... FROM ANDROID, WINDOWS AND IOS PHONES ON THE GO ON ALL SCREENS

Post #565662 Fri Sep 21 2018 10:19pm
GodivaNige

England 

I used this guide to hardwire my dash cam, has worked faultlessly since. Powers up when the car is unlocked and goes to sleep after locking along with the rest of the car electronics.

Post #565675 Sat Sep 22 2018 9:07am
XIII

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Jonny Fresh wrote:
TikoV wrote:
Folks if you want to make sure you don't get caught......don't speed!!

However, for you speed freaks there is a unit that will definitely save your bacon. It's called Laser Park Pro. It technically 'jams' any reading attempted by police guns, side road camera vans etc..... It works a treat and it also doubles up as a park assist lol.

It is also highly illegal and you can go to jail for having one fitted on your car.

You only go to jailif you are caught and sometimes we just have a need to speed!!!

Post #571480 Fri Dec 21 2018 10:07pm
derekmines

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Just a quick note to say thanks to UmbertoBob for the photo guide, I used it this morning to hardwire my new dashcam.

Total job time about 15 minutes and the best bit is that there's enough room in the headliner of a 2010 RRS to use an auxilliary socket and the original cig-plug that came with my dashcam, no need to buy the official hardwire kit - money saved!

Post #585773 Sat Aug 24 2019 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>