RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Off Road Ride height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

This is quite normal and made the wife jump out of her skin the first time she heard it happen Laughing It's the suspension sitting back down again, the compressors don't need to be stressed when the car is sitting there doing nothing so it's a rest state for the system. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9823 Mon Jan 09 2006 5:22pm
grommet

United States 

mnederlof wrote:
Does locking the height up work in the RRS? The RR would bing and say speed max 25 mph, but it wouldn't change the height.

M
mnederlof, "locked access" or "crawl mode" returns to "on-road" mode after 24 MPH. (I assume most won't be doing 25 MPH or above in a height limited parking garage.) In unlocked "access" mode, it returns after 6 MPH.

edit: Ok, I fixed the one MPG typo. Very Happy

Last edited by grommet on Mon Jan 09 2006 8:13pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #9831 Mon Jan 09 2006 6:02pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

grommet wrote:
mnederlof wrote:
Does locking the height up work in the RRS? The RR would bing and say speed max 25 mph, but it wouldn't change the height.

M
mnederlof, "locked access" or "crawl mode" returns to "on-road" mode after 24 MPH. (I assume most won't be doing 25 MPG or above in a height limited parking garage.) In unlocked "access" mode, it returns after 6 MPH.

I find it really hard to get 25MPG anyway not just in a parking garage. Laughing Laughing 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #9838 Mon Jan 09 2006 8:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

MDP wrote:
mnederlof

I too get the Ppssstttt sound of air leaving the suspension after leaving/locking the car. I also noted this in the dealer/loan Disco3 that i have just had. So I guess its a common occurence.

This is known as the Disco fart!!! Embarassed

Post #9849 Mon Jan 09 2006 9:09pm
mnederlof

United States 

shmoogle wrote:
This is quite normal and made the wife jump out of her skin the first time she heard it happen Laughing It's the suspension sitting back down again, the compressors don't need to be stressed when the car is sitting there doing nothing so it's a rest state for the system.

OK, I admit it, i can't visualize how the air suspension works. I visualize some air pistons of some sort. Pump them full of air, the car rises, release air, the car lowers. I've read references to cross-linking such that air can be ducted from one side to the other for that neat articulation trick off road.

I assume there are stops so that when all the air is out, the car settles to a certain level. If access is the lowest level, isn't that where the car settles to when it's "at rest (ie: the compressor has to do no more work)?

There have been several posts that "automatic lowering" of the car to access height would be dangerous and cannot be enabled. Then what is my f*rting RRS doing? Why is the at-rest level higher than access (which I suspect it is)?

Does anyone have a link or document they can refer me to to read about how the air suspension really works if this isn't correct?

Thanks
M 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #9864 Mon Jan 09 2006 11:54pm
grommet

United States 

mnederlof, your vehicle doesn't lower or "drop to a certain level" while you are out. There is no "at rest" height. As you know, you don't even need to put the vehicle in Access mode; it can stay in On-Road height... and it'll stay like that. It will not lower unless you step inside and tell it to lower.

The vehicle may try to "level" the vehicle, however, and you may hear air being discharged.

Post #9865 Tue Jan 10 2006 12:08am
Renny

Scotland 

The noise you hear is the air system compensating for the reduced load after you have got out Laughing

The system works with height sensors which vary the pressure in the air bags (springs) to acheive a ride height set by the system (access, normal, off-road etc). If the load increases, say by putting a couple of sacks of cement in the back, the pressure will rise to compensate for the increased load and retain the ride height. If there is insufficient reserve air supply in the storage tank the compressor will start to provide this air. Conversly, if the load decreases, say by a 90kg person getting out of the vehicle, the system will vent air from the air bags to return the ride height to the set height.

BTW I have heard that the Range Rover does not have a storage tank so are prone to burning out the compressors if used constantly off road. Embarassed Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer

Post #9874 Tue Jan 10 2006 10:12am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

OK, so what is my car doing when I pull up on my driveway, turn the engine off, get out and lock the doors? Every time there is a "psstt!" and the car settles to it's lowest setting (which I've always presumed to be access height). The reason I think it's access height is that when I get back in the car and turn the engine on, the car automatically raises to what I presume to be on-road height. I can then manually drop the car back to access height and if I look at the tyre/arch spacings they are the same as when the car is parked up and switched off. 

Post #9885 Tue Jan 10 2006 11:28am
PaulB

England 

That doesn't sound right...does it ?
When you get back in, have a look at the height selection switch to see which icon is lit up.
I didn't think the height should change without a specific instruction to do so, and even then all doors MUST be closed.
However, I'm still learning so I may be wrong on that point.
Cheers
Paul RRS TDV8 - Stornoway Grey, Irory Leather with Dark Zebrano, Privacy Glass, Tow Pack.
1967 Cobra 427 S/C
1951 Vincent Comet
2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Post #9893 Tue Jan 10 2006 12:13pm
mnederlof

United States 

grommet wrote:
mnederlof, your vehicle doesn't lower or "drop to a certain level" while you are out. There is no "at rest" height. As you know, you don't even need to put the vehicle in Access mode; it can stay in On-Road height... and it'll stay like that. It will not lower unless you step inside and tell it to lower.

The vehicle may try to "level" the vehicle, however, and you may hear air being discharged.

Grommet, you may be right, but my vehicle *does* lower. It lowers quite a lot, and yes, it is when the doors are closed. It usually goes something like I get out, close my door, maybe get something out of the rear, close that, and lock using the key. THEN it pssts, and lowers visibly, every time.

My car is getting a scratch fixed, so it's away for a few days Sad when it's back, I'll measure the space between tire and wheel well. I don't think I'm an isolated case.

Quote:
The noise you hear is the air system compensating for the reduced load after you have got out

OK, this might be the case...I do weigh quite a bit more than a couple of sacks of cement (is that what my wife means when she's yelling and refering to a sack of ...) but we're talking about an adjustment at rest, with the engine off. It also waits until the car is off and locked (or at least the doors are closed). The height does change. 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #9908 Tue Jan 10 2006 12:58pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

That is exactly what mine does too. I'd assumed it was normal - the explanation I gave myself seemed to make sense Wink I was reading the handbook sections about the air suspension this morning and it's true it doesn't make any mention of any "at rest" location or any indication that this is what it should be doing. 

Post #9911 Tue Jan 10 2006 2:30pm
thebishman

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

It is NOT normal for the RRS to 'automatically' lower to access height when you stop and turn off the car, UNLESS you have specifically requested the car to do that just prior to turning it off.
My S/C remains at normal height when turned off for days unless I activated Access mode before I turned it off. It will probably 'settle' to access height over an extended period of time as air pressure is slowly lost throughout the system if the engine is not started for quite some time.
Bish '06 RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with RSE; PTI; Electronic Rear Diff and Sirius Sat Radio.

Post #9930 Tue Jan 10 2006 4:20pm
PaulB

England 

Bish,
Mine does the same. If I turn it off whilst in "Normal" height, it will stay there, even after I have got out and locked it.
If I stop and select "Access" height, it will drop down. But if someone opens a doors while it is lowering, it will stop and stay at that intermediate height.

I'm pretty sure the car shouldn't lower once you have got out. It sounds like a fault because the car doesn't "know" who or what is underneath it. It could be lowering itself onto a boulder, or more importantly, someone's head Confused

Paul RRS TDV8 - Stornoway Grey, Irory Leather with Dark Zebrano, Privacy Glass, Tow Pack.
1967 Cobra 427 S/C
1951 Vincent Comet
2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Post #9939 Tue Jan 10 2006 4:44pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

What can I say, mine is definitely doing that - always has. Looks like another entry for the snagging list when it goes in for the 12k service. Odd. Confused 

Post #9942 Tue Jan 10 2006 4:47pm
mnederlof

United States 

shmoogle wrote:
What can I say, mine is definitely doing that - always has. Looks like another entry for the snagging list when it goes in for the 12k service. Odd. Confused

I don't know---I don't mind at all. As long as the extra compressor work (pretty much always starts when I start the car, which seems normal) doesn't hurt, I like the fact that it lowers; it makes ingress and egress easier, WITHOUT having to remember to hit the button, as I had to on my former full sized RR.

If I didn't have this bug...er...feature, I'd likely be wishing I had it anyway, so unless there's a problem, I'm not saying anything! Rolling Eyes 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #9953 Tue Jan 10 2006 5:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>