Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Supercharged

United Kingdom 
Hello

Hello all

Happy new to you all.
Just a quick note to introduce myself.
I'm based in Shropshire, I am a keen Land Rover nut and I now looking to a new Range Rover Sport.
I've heard mixed feedback about the Sport, some like and other don't.
Can anyone offer me their advice, should I buy the 4.2 Sport or should I look elsewhere?

Many thanks Supercharged

On the drive:
1995 300TDI Discovery ES

Coming in the Summer:
Range Rover Sport 4.2 Supercharged - Java Black, Ivory Leather and Rhodium Finish

Post #9446 Wed Jan 04 2006 9:32pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Welcome Supercharged. On this forum you will find all points of view but I think in general there is a positive feeling about the RRS. Take time to read as much as you can and I think most areas are covered. You will find some members know more than others and that some have had specific problems with their cars. If you then look at the disco3.co.uk website you will find many of the same problems and often the solutions.
I have a RRS diesel and I have to say I LOVE THE CAR. I would love a supercharged but I cann't justify the running costs. I have done a day offroading only so cann't offer much advise there but from what I did I was impressed. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9447 Wed Jan 04 2006 9:38pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the welcome.

I was an Automotive Mechanical Engineer in a previous profession, so I understand that all cars regardless of cost suffer some troubles (bath tub effect failure rates). I also understand that the marketing department will do their utmost to ensure the coverage of the troubles is kept minimal.

As for the running costs, just my chance to indulge in pure luxury. Better keep that quiet from the 4X4 antis!!!! Supercharged

On the drive:
1995 300TDI Discovery ES

Coming in the Summer:
Range Rover Sport 4.2 Supercharged - Java Black, Ivory Leather and Rhodium Finish

Post #9448 Wed Jan 04 2006 9:44pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
As for the running costs, just my chance to indulge in pure luxury. Better keep that quiet from the 4X4 antis!!!!

We get one or two antis now and them - we listen and laugh, makes the day a little more entertaining! Smile

As for buying a 4.2 I would say yes, even those with problems love them! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9449 Wed Jan 04 2006 10:00pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Welcome Supercharged, nice to see you have good taste!

I bought a new 4.2SC and took delivery at the end of Sep 05. Apart from a few niggles (do a search on the word niggles and you can read about them) I am delighted with it. I have made mine a little more personal by colour coding the mirrors, adding privacy glass all round and getting sill plates etc. Take a look in my gallery

I have a good relationship with my dealer, and this helps. Apart from needing an alignment check in it's first week, most things have been nothing to do with reliability, more bad luck on my part, like someone denting my bonnet for me and then subsequent problems getting it back to how it was cosmetically.

The SC is a fantastic car, for such a big and heavy 4WD it is SOOOOO smooth on the road and the noise of the V8 and whine of the SC kicking in is pure addiction.

Yes, it does about 14-17mpg, less if you push it all the time, but it sure beats being a boring sod in a Joe Schmoe car.

I see you are looking at a first edition model (being a Vesuvius you mention) Do you realise they no longer make brand new Vesuvius cars? It was just an intro model colour available on the first 1300 cars built. I'd say you can still find them, newly secondhand of course and probably still at list price. In my mind they are not worth the premium, and if a car is likely to suffer some gremlins, I think the earliest cars are the ones not to go for, as these seem to be the ones with the suspension faults and compressor issues.

Few of us here had experienced zero problems with the cars, but we are fanatics by nature and perfectionists, that's why we all sought out this forum, to make things even better.

Let us know what you look at and how you get on.

RRUK L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #9451 Wed Jan 04 2006 10:46pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Hello Supercharged, welcome aboard! Smile

Like Very Annoyed, I also have the diesel RRS and find it performs perfectly well enough for me (and bearing in mind I came to the RRS from an M3, so the performance difference was quite substantial). I like the fact that it's calmed down my driving style - I need to keep a lid on the 6 points I already have on my license! Wink

If you can justify the cost of running the SC version, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. But as RRUK advised, it may not make particularly good sense to lock yourself into wanting a Vesuvius model. You will undoubtedly make some savings in purchase if you widened your search a little. You'd be surprised how great the more usual colours (Blacks & Silvers) look on the RRS. Take a look through our galleries to see how various colours look.

Lastly, given you are in Shropshire, I'd suggest a chat with Shukers in Shrewsbury if you don't already have a favoured dealer. They are my supplying dealer (even though I don't live up that way) and can recommend them.

Good luck and keep us all posted on how your search goes! Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9460 Thu Jan 05 2006 12:10am
Supercharged

United Kingdom 

Hey thanks for the info about the First Edition and the Orange colour. I was not aware of that. Shame really, striking car with a stricking engine for me should have a striking colour too! Maybe I either flamboyant or just a show off! Supercharged

On the drive:
1995 300TDI Discovery ES

Coming in the Summer:

Post #9496 Thu Jan 05 2006 5:39pm
djsaad1

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I also don't beleive they make the orange color with ivory interior, actually I am yet to see any first additions with ivory interior.

Post #9497 Thu Jan 05 2006 5:46pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 

Oh well. Nice dream whilst it lasted.
I would certainly consider the Java Black with the Ivory Interior.

Does anyone have any experience of the cost options such as DVD/TV kits and other toys?
Also
Does anyone have any comments as to the towing performance of the RRSport. I tow a 2000kg caravan on my current Discovery which is a dream to tow with? Supercharged

On the drive:
1995 300TDI Discovery ES

Coming in the Summer:

Post #9498 Thu Jan 05 2006 5:56pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Supercharged wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of the cost options such as DVD/TV kits and other toys?
Also
Does anyone have any comments as to the towing performance of the RRSport. I tow a 2000kg caravan on my current Discovery which is a dream to tow with?

Java Black with Ivory is a great combination however even after a couple of weeks suspect I may spend as much time keeping the leather clean as the outside. It's a high maintenance combination, but great all the same. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #9500 Thu Jan 05 2006 6:10pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

It's no different with the Alpaca that I have. As great as the dark/light contrast is the leather doesn't keep clean particuarly well. My seat gets a blue/black tinge on it from my trousers.... 

Post #9501 Thu Jan 05 2006 6:13pm
thebishman

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Supercharged wrote:

Also
Does anyone have any comments as to the towing performance of the RRSport. I tow a 2000kg caravan on my current Discovery which is a dream to tow with?

I would order the factory RSE system. Two LCDs in the headrests which can independently display different sources; 6 disc DVD changer; AUX input for Video game system plug-in, etc. What more could you want?

Towed our boat this autumn back to storage. Combined weight of boat and double wheeled trailer is approximately 5000 lbs +. The S/C towed it like it wasn't even back there. Truly, compared to my '03 RR, it was effortless to get up to 70 mph; acceleration felt very strong. Absolutely no complaints about inadequate power. Of course mileage on the highway was averaging 10 mpg (US).
Bish '06 RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with RSE; PTI; Electronic Rear Diff and Sirius Sat Radio.

Post #9502 Thu Jan 05 2006 6:23pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

On the UK price list, some have found the factory-fit RSE system to be expensive for what it provides. The thread below showed some useful alternatives and has some great pics to show various installations.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=944 

Post #9503 Thu Jan 05 2006 6:30pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 

I like the ICE install of Prestige Audio. My background is Rolls Royce and Bentley Engineering and from the photos, they look RR&B quality.

Might get get in touch when I get the car later in the Summer. Supercharged

On the drive:
1995 300TDI Discovery ES

Coming in the Summer:

Post #9504 Thu Jan 05 2006 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1