RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New Road Tax Fees in UK: Will you change your car?
Will Mr Brown force you out of your Land Rover?
No way, he's a turnip head and I won't let him have the satisfaction
94%
 94%  [36]
Maybe, as fuel costs are sky high too...
5%
 5%  [2]
Yes, had been thinking about it, don't think I can justify it any longer
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 38

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
New Road Tax Fees in UK: Will you change your car?

Quick Straw poll to see if the rise in fuel and now this nasty retrospective road tax hike will make you think about getting rid of your Land Rover product.

Funny how the media always picks on LR as the 4wd brand of gas guzzlers, never the others. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #176324 Thu Jul 10 2008 9:17am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Although not living in UK anymore, I wouldn't let it put me off.

Fuel, road tax and insurance are all either already, or getting expensive but we will always have a 4x4, and most probably a Range Rover of one type or another. Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #176332 Thu Jul 10 2008 9:22am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

These new regs shouldn't be forcing you out of your 4x4, but I'm sure a lot of people will need to downsize simply due to finances. I don't think the environmental spin is going to wash with anyone... it'll be much more of a personal decision I think.

He's talking craziness about there being no non-hybrid cars in 20 years time too Rolling Eyes 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #176335 Thu Jul 10 2008 9:26am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

I've not been able to understand how this makes a difference to the environment. The cars that go up in tax won't disappear. They may fall in value and be sold etc, but someone, somewhere will drive them.

I also think that the increased rate of fall in value of (large) cars, caused by the increased fuel tax, is irrational. Does tax going up by a couple of tanks of fuel really make a difference? I guess it does. I think it gives some people the opportunity to buy cars of their dreams (given their unexpected value falls - i'm thinking Porsche 997 (a few under £40k), Porsche 997 Turbos (unsellable Thumbs Up) Aston Vantage's (now under £50k), Aston DB9's (under 60). Alas, the Zonda isn't getting cheaper.

I wonder if the decent of SUV prices may be slowed by Boris' cancellation of the £25 congestion charge as that is something that would put me off an SUV. 2022 P440e AB

Post #176345 Thu Jul 10 2008 9:31am
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

wow, this is good news. Might be worth getting a second sporty car to go with the TDV8 Laughing .

Post #176420 Thu Jul 10 2008 12:12pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I would more than likely just take the hit and be damned if some numpty politician is going to tell me what I can and cannot drive. Evil or Very Mad

The price of fuel is more worrying I think, as our govt seems keen to let it continue to rise and then add more tax on it. If it keeps going the way it is we're going to see some huge financial changes, not just people unable to fuel their cars but oil fired central heating, public transport costs rising to cover the fuel costs, air travel costs increasing, where will it end? It's already had an impact on my wprk travel and I am doing more from home than I ever used to, plus our stupid and tight-arse American parent won't pay the extortionate train fares, they must think we are making them up!

We'll all be holidaying in the back garden (in the sodding rain) soon as we won't be able to justify getting in the car and going abroad!

Stop the world I wanna get off! Big Cry L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #176462 Thu Jul 10 2008 1:57pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

My wife suffers with panic attacks related to a life long medical condition. She didn't travel by car or bus for 5 years Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation She walked or cycled everywhere. She can't fly. So it was no holidays for 5 years Exclamation

Now she will travel in a car......but only if it is big and high. So after much trial and testing that was why I bought the first RRS........and we are now able to go on holiday.

And that's why BROWN I will continue to have my LR. So you can hike it as much as you like because I really don't care Censored

We don't fly and we have one BIG car. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #176463 Thu Jul 10 2008 2:19pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Bought mine in March knowing full well of the cost consequences just to p**s Mr.Turnip Head off,not having him and the rest of his Stalinist cronies telling me what car I'm allowed to run whilst they run around in their chauffeur driven Jags at my expense (and probably not paying any BIK taxes either).
Can't see why their safety and security is any more important than mine.

I see my good friend Gordon has started up a new Government Department,see here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvRGJMtx54&NR=1 MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #176470 Thu Jul 10 2008 3:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kljw

Scotland 

just to annoy you all, i am exemp road tax, so they can charged what they like, also, i am zero rated for VAT on the purchase of a new vehicle... life sucks! NOT

Post #176488 Thu Jul 10 2008 4:43pm
Japseroony

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Screw the politicions and especially Turnip-Head, they won't put me off driving the RRS no matter how much they decide to tax the car. I also own a 57 plate Defender so gonna be stung on both vehicles in December when the tax is due.

One of the questions that I would like answered is "what are they doing with the extra duty they receive from the fuel now that it is £130 a gallon for diesel?" - it is my understanding that the goverment take a fixed percentage of the fuel cost and therefore any increase in the fuel price only increases the duty that the goverment receive. If my understanding is correct, then the goverment could not give a toss over the price of fuel as the higher it goes the more money they make.

Owning a RRS means that only does 22mpg means that I am paying much more duty than someone driving a vehicle which does 40mpg so I am therefore putting extra coffers into the goverment's back pocket purely by driving the thing. The increase in road tax is just another excuse to tax the motorist and should be across the board and not just on so called gas-guzzlers as the RRS is more efficient than some but less than others - could we not class this as prejudice against those people owing 4x4 vehicles and take this to the european court?

Russell. "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #176495 Thu Jul 10 2008 5:09pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Current poll standings...95% yes, 4% maybe, 0% no

where is the missing 1%?

Post #176499 Thu Jul 10 2008 5:37pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Jonny,
1% Poll tax Laughing MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #176501 Thu Jul 10 2008 5:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Japseroony wrote:

The increase in road tax is just another excuse to tax the motorist and should be across the board and not just on so called gas-guzzlers as the RRS is more efficient than some but less than others - could we not class this as prejudice against those people owing 4x4 vehicles and take this to the european court?

Russell.

Now there's an idea Question Exclamation Let's see what companies would be interested in getting involved........oh yes, only one and it's German.......naturally JLR have already been conditioned so they are out, wouldn't want to rock the boat, they are a BRITISH company, after all Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #176504 Thu Jul 10 2008 5:51pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Well we do like to just sit back and take it!

Plus i'll still get a S65 AMG Very Happy RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #176510 Thu Jul 10 2008 6:04pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

JayMann wrote:
Well we do like to just sit back and take it!

Plus i'll still get a S65 AMG Very Happy

Trouble is Jay, ol one-eyed fish meister Brown will continue to take the p*$$ if something is not done soon. There was a good artical in the Auto Express this week by Mike Rutherford (I think his name is).....very accurate descriptor of what happened when he met the Transport minister.....who by all counts, is a trout Mr. Green L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #176513 Thu Jul 10 2008 6:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>