RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Miles and Economy..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

kam100

United Kingdom 
Miles and Economy..

Sorry to drag this topic up again, but over the last couple of weeks i've noticed that my car is starting to get a little less thirsty.

Average cost for my fuel per week is £30, i cover about 150 miles and have about 10 miles left on the range when i refuel so that means cold start, locally, traffic - stop start driving i get 150 miles per £30 ish so its costing me £2 per 10 miles, which i can live with.

Last few weeks i've been refueling every sunday like usual for the same amount but its getting close to 180 miles this week and yesterday i didn't refuel it at all, im running on nearly 20 miles left on range meter and i think i will push it to not refueling till tommorow.. hopefully this is way the engine will go from now on..

I've done close to 8k miles and i hoon it around not really trying to drive very economically and haven't really changed my driving habbits over the past month or so when i've been noticing better consumption figures. The MPG Meter in my view doesn't really work very well on local journeys, mine shows around 19-21mpg all the time, but i ignore it unless im doing a long sprint down the motorway.

Post #9320 Tue Jan 03 2006 3:22pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Kam - you're just becoming a bit less of a boy racer! Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9321 Tue Jan 03 2006 3:25pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Kam

I would have LR check out the injectors on the car as they may be starting to wear given the constant increased common rail pressure from your Tunit box. The tunit may also be affecting your mpg indicator as the mpg is calculated on injector opening times running at standard common rail pressures.

Also, when a car is run on 'winter diesel' it will generally be 5% less fuel efficient Chips with everything

Post #9324 Tue Jan 03 2006 3:45pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

The MPG counter in mine always seems to stick around the lowest possible figure and not move much at all. It's been showing 12-14 mpg for ages now, but I guess you can counter that because I've not done many long distance trips in the last 3 or 4 weeks, it's all been short runs.

It only gets up to reasonable figures if I am on a run and reset it.

However, it is without a shadow of doubt, the thirstiest car I have ever owned! Embarassed L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #9327 Tue Jan 03 2006 3:54pm
LRtuning

I know a certain dealer who gets exactly 93 miles on a full tank from a RRS SC Wink Chips with everything

Post #9328 Tue Jan 03 2006 3:56pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Not to gloat or anything Laughing but I got 454 miles out of a tank over the Xmas/NY period. All long runs though - from home down to the Cotswolds, then down to Somerset and back while I was there and then back home again. Pretty impressive, even at a fairly constant 85mph on the motorway stretches (did I say 85 officer, what I meant was 70!) Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9330 Tue Jan 03 2006 3:58pm
thebishman

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

I'm averaging approximately 10-12 mpg US or about 12.5-15 mpg Imperial. Still only at 1500 miles though.

Of note: I believe that one can increase the mileage of the S/C version by driving it in the 'manual' transmission mode. This is not as much work as it might sound, as I only use the gear lever to change up, allowing the gearbox to switch to a lower gear itself as the vehicle slows, (the ECU and tranny computer will not allow the engine to 'lug'). This way I can change up at 1500 rpm's whereas the tranny will change normally at approximately 1750-2000 rpm's if left to its own devices. There is so much torque available in the S/C that changing gear at this low an engine speed is a non event, as long as the vehicle is warm. I really believe that around town, this may enhance mileage by about 1 mpg or so.
Bish '06 RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with RSE; PTI; Electronic Rear Diff and Sirius Sat Radio.

Post #9333 Tue Jan 03 2006 4:26pm
DMC

United Kingdom 

Mileage indicator when full on Christmas Eve indicated. 425 miles to go. And so far we haven't refilled yet, been to Ilford, Basildon, Broomfield x 2. Sainsburies at Boreham, Braintree freeport. etc etc etc. And still displays 180 to go!!! I am truly impressed with the MPG of this car!! 996 TT & RRS 2.7TDV6 HSE.

Post #9337 Tue Jan 03 2006 4:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

thebishman wrote:
....this may enhance mileage by about 1 mpg or so.

Steady, you'll have the diesel owners seriously considering the move to SC! Laughing Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9344 Tue Jan 03 2006 5:20pm
noddy and bigears

England 

turbochip wrote:
Kam

I would have LR check out the injectors on the car as they may be starting to wear given the constant increased common rail pressure from your Tunit box. The tunit may also be affecting your mpg indicator as the mpg is calculated on injector opening times running at standard common rail pressures.

Also, when a car is run on 'winter diesel' it will generally be 5% less fuel efficient
hello turbochip can this happen with a plug in type box i am considering a power upgrade but i dont want to cause accelerated wear in my system so to speak i would rather keep it as standard Exclamation Question

Post #9352 Tue Jan 03 2006 6:05pm
LRtuning

The majority of 'plug-in' boxes on the market are 'common rail pressure' boxes such as tunit, speedbuster, PSi etc....

They work simply be raising the fuel pressure 'behind' the injector and forcing additional fuel through the injector.....just imagine attaching your garden hose to the the main water supply in the street rather than your garden tap; something has to give

Personally I would steer clear of 'plug-in' boxes that rely on fuel pressure increases Chips with everything

Post #9355 Tue Jan 03 2006 6:30pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Turbo chip..
I actually only had my tunit box installed for about 2 weeks, in the first month of ownership, after hearing your wise words and reading some other posts, i didn't reinstall the tunit box.. and haven't bothered doing again. I feel the TDV6 has got quicker over time and miles anyway and im happy with its performance around town, I think i have adapted my driving style to accelerate sooner so that when the boost arrives from the slightly delayed turbo the car shoots away as intended instead of sitting there and waiting for a few seconds.

Don't know how my initial post on this thread came across, but i was praising my RRS diesel as i think its getting better and better with miles not worse. I don't want to spend any time back at the LR dealers and so far mines only been in once and that was for some warranty work they didn't finish before delivery, no gripes or problems with mine (so far anyway!!) ..

Post #9358 Tue Jan 03 2006 7:58pm
Biggles

England 

Off Topic,

Got a lovely pocket diary of turbochip in the post before Christmas. Cool Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #9492 Thu Jan 05 2006 4:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1