RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > consumer reports 2006 reviews
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green
consumer reports 2006 reviews

While shopping with my wife, I made my way to the magazine rack and picked up the latest consumer reports (please notice I refuse to use caps) for all 2006 vehicles. They gave our RRS a fairly unflattering report card. They were unimpressed with the HSE torque and essentially "fussed" at Land Rover for calling it a "sport" I think what chapped my hide the most was their rating the MZB ML 500 and the BMW X5 higher than what we know to be a superior vehicle!

Post #9256 Mon Jan 02 2006 11:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 
Re: consumer reports 2006 reviews

DAVIS wrote:
While shopping with my wife, I made my way to the magazine rack and picked up the latest consumer reports (please notice I refuse to use caps) for all 2006 vehicles. They gave our RRS a fairly unflattering report card. They were unimpressed with the HSE torque and essentially "fussed" at Land Rover for calling it a "sport" I think what chapped my hide the most was their rating the MZB ML 500 and the BMW X5 higher than what we know to be a superior vehicle!

You will probably find the writer of the piece has just bought a ML500 or takes back handers! Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9257 Mon Jan 02 2006 11:28pm
grommet

United States 

As a permanent "sports car" driver most of my life, I personally don't think any vehicle at this weight/size can be associated with the term "Sport." Cool Our heaviest in class vehicles do well, however...

Of course, Consumer Reports can be safely ignored for anything but high volume consumer products.

Post #9260 Tue Jan 03 2006 1:15am
DAVIS

Agreed, I beleive they, (CR's) do a resonsible job when it comes to digital cameras, dvd players etc. On a positive note, we received quite a bit of snow today and I got a chance to try out my RRS with the new Perilli (Scorpian Ice and Snow) tires. WOW, what a great experience! walked rigt up our steep 150 yard driveway. I thought my Audi Quatro was impressive, in snow...

Post #9262 Tue Jan 03 2006 2:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Is CR equivalent to our Which? magazine? Sounds v similar. I think LR do have a bit of a cheek calling it a Sport, but in relation to the other LR lines I suppose it is the most "sporty". What were the terms of the CR test? Was it simply an on-road car test? Did they get near anything muddy/snowy? They're not telling me that an X5 outperformed the RRS off-road surely? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9264 Tue Jan 03 2006 10:37am
DAVIS

It sounds as though CR is similiar to "your" Which, it reports on a variety of consumer products from vacuum cleaners to health care. Their staff is category specific and the publication as well as their web site prides themselves on being impartial. The 2006 report on all vehicles did a "side by side" analysis on the features, specs and a subsequent road test. Each of the evaluated categories was then assigned a point value, now the rest of what I'm writing is by memory so the following numbers may not be exact, however the ratios are. The average points for the SUVs tested was something like 62.4 the RRS received 58 while the BMW, MBZ and Porsche were rated higher than the average. Now for my disclaimer, A. I was "in tow" with my wife at the dept. store, wishing I was elsewhere B. I was bored and suffering from short attention span and C. I was Censored that CR had the audacity to disrespect the RRS, so I did not hang on their every word. Postscript, as I was writing the check for my RRS, my dealer promised me that The RRS will be selected as the 2006 "suv of the year"

Post #9342 Tue Jan 03 2006 5:12pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

............ and I'd got the RRS down for an OSCAR Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #9375 Wed Jan 04 2006 10:21am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It's done well for awards so far:

- Top Gear SUV of the Year
- 4x4 Magazine's Luxury SUV of the Year
- 4x4 Magazine's 4x4 of the Year

Again, it all depends what the test criteria are but you'd struggle really to find a more impressive all rounder than the RRS. The only car I'd really say is any contender is the Cayenne Turbo, but for all it's performance that grabs you by the jacobs, it's internal trim is fairly crappy and it still looks like the automotive equivalent of John Merrick. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9376 Wed Jan 04 2006 10:35am
MDP

United Kingdom 

shmoogle wrote:
Cayenne Turbo, it's internal trim is fairly crappy and it still looks like the automotive equivalent of John Merrick.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #9381 Wed Jan 04 2006 10:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1