RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Possible TDV8 purchase but need advice first!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

spj

United Kingdom 
Possible TDV8 purchase but need advice first!

Hi, have been a visitor to this forum for a while and have now finally decided to take the plunge and post a message! I am thinking about purchasing a RRS TDV8 although to be very honest it is actually for my wife! We were looking at the Audi Q7 but then went on a LR test drive day - we drove the Discovery, RRS TDV6 and the RRS TDV8 and not surprisingly my wife said she preferred the TDV8! Audi let us have a Q7 for the weekend, LR dealer at the test day said we could only have the TDV8 for a maximum of 1 hour (at another time after the test day) and only if we agreed to buy it before the test drive! So my questions are: Would you buy the RRS after such a short test drive - or try and find a dealer who is prepared to allow us a decent length test drive? Is the attitude of this dealer standard with LR?! Once we get over that question, the next is shall we buy new or used? In the current financial climate are there deals to be had? Many thanks for any assitance.

Post #171445 Tue Jun 03 2008 1:46pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

SPJ - welcome. You're right praise the Audi dealer for letting you have a 24hr test drive, this is something LR dealers should offer and as far as I know very very few do. The TDV8 is a great car, you have no doubt read owners reviews here and these are unbiased. I would buy a 2nd hand car about 6-9 months old, the market for cars at the moment is depressed and I feel bargains on used cars are available. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #171447 Tue Jun 03 2008 1:52pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Welcome, spj! Thumbs Up

I bought my RRS after only an hour or so at the wheel of another dealer's demo and ended up with a year's problem free motoring out of it. Given that if you cut me open you'd find the BMW logo running through me, it's one of the best cars I've ever owned.

There are definitely bargains to be had out there due to the current climate. Have a chat with forum sponsors, kam100 and James@ Charles Hurst Land Rover (both details in the sponsors page). 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #171455 Tue Jun 03 2008 2:31pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Very Annoyed wrote:
SPJ - welcome. You're right praise the Audi dealer for letting you have a 24hr test drive, this is something LR dealers should offer and as far as I know very very few do. The TDV8 is a great car, you have no doubt read owners reviews here and these are unbiased. I would buy a 2nd hand car about 6-9 months old, the market for cars at the moment is depressed and I feel bargains on used cars are available.

I second that. Good advice. 2022 P440e AB

Post #171457 Tue Jun 03 2008 2:58pm
MRBROWN

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Go for the TDV8, I just did and I can not complain, its 8 month old and feels fresh out the showroom in everyway...(well it did till the dog and this shi**y weather kicked in)!

40K will get you everything you need in your TDV8, just less than a year old, side steps and privacy (possibly Hybrid TV if your fortunate enough).

Good luck in your search Thumbs Up forget the AUDI.

Post #171462 Tue Jun 03 2008 4:43pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

The TDV8 is just an AMAZING car Bow down Bow down . The only thing that would make it perfect would be if it didnt sound like a diesel at idle Laughing .

Out of curiosity, how easy was it to get a 24 hour test drive out of audi?

Post #171463 Tue Jun 03 2008 5:13pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you have tried your local dealer in Kendal try the other one over near Coniston. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Last edited by rrsjo on Tue Jun 03 2008 8:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #171467 Tue Jun 03 2008 5:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spj

United Kingdom 

Thanks to everyone who has already replied, in answer to the various points (before I forget to answer them!), Audi were fantastic - allowed us a good couple of hours for the first test drive. When we mentioned the space for our two large gundogs was of importance (the dogs were waiting in our other car in the Audi dealers car park) they said to take the Q7 out again with the dogs in it! Not one other dealer (and we have driven most of the RRS competitors) have ever offered this! Audi themselves then offered the weekend test drive as they said it is a lot of money to spend without being totally sure! Its a little sad that the most helpful dealers are unlikely to get the deal as although the Q7 had the most space for the dogs, my wife actually found it too big to drive and particularly lacked visibility compared to the RRS - it helps that the wife can see where she is driving!! We were thinking of trying Coniston LR but wasn't sure if it was RRS territory! Thanks for the new v used info I will get in touch with the site sponsors as you suggest.

Post #171470 Tue Jun 03 2008 6:43pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

LR dont seem to be hit by high stocks at the minute unlike AUDI - there are some massive savings to be had on most 4x4's (AUDI, Merc, VW etc) - LR are just an exception because the overseas demand is so high and they seemingly underproduce

Post #171475 Tue Jun 03 2008 8:07pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

spj wrote:
We were thinking of trying Coniston LR but wasn't sure if it was RRS territory!

Definately RRS territory and very helpful. The sale guy there used to (probably still does) post on here and they are sponsors of our Disco3 sister site. Look under our members for 'lakeland land rover' and PM him. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #171476 Tue Jun 03 2008 8:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

I would say depend how long your going to keep the car mate.
Like VA Says, two ways, swap and change or keep long term. Think the day for chopping in/out of the rrs in a short time frame and not losing too much cash has long gone, but used ones are really beggining to look like bargains.

Saying that though, if you do opt to buy a new RRS, it will perform immediately better then any of the competitor vehicles, such as a Merc ML, Audi Q7, Merc GL or any other 4x4 you can think of. So it depends on how much your willing to 'spend' on the car over a year period/how long you are going to keep it. I am a swapper and changer and im the first to admitt that i play the residual game, but its not possible in todays market place to get in/out of brand new cars without losing a whack, so im playing the long ball game myself, and bought a 7 series which had lost a chunk in a very short space of time.

If you need any market information/future residuals to help make up your mind, i'd be happy to assist, whether your buying for cash/looking for finance on it, also advisable to take out full invoice gap insurance on your purchase, and not pay silly dealer rates for it, we can sort this out as a stand alone product for you after you've purchased if you would like to get it in place.

We have access to bank CAP guide valuations, which all the major finance houses work off, so you can get a good idea of whats likely to retain value the best and worst over the course of your desired ownership term. Percentage wise the rrs is still performing better then others as i've stated, but i would personally buy a used TDV8 and keep it a couple of years, but we have other outside factors to consider now as the government poses more threat to 4x4 ownership then ever before with the rising rates/fees, so its a tricky market place right now.

My email is: kam@mhasnain.co.uk

Post #171502 Wed Jun 04 2008 1:38am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I had a ten minute test drive in the Sport Supercharged when it came out. I had made up my mind after about 400 yards up the road, as soon as I heard the V8 whine of the supercharger, I was hooked.

I bought brand new and now regret that move, simply cos I was the one who took the big hit on the car. I had it for 18 months, did about 32K in it and the value dropped £20K. Ouch.

I would go with Kam's advice, buy 2nd hand, let someone else take the initial hit. Buy wiser! That's what I am hopefully going to be doing next (watch this space)

Adam L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #171520 Wed Jun 04 2008 9:13am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

RRUK are you coming back to the RRS? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #171521 Wed Jun 04 2008 9:22am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

You'll see.....very soon...if not already L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #171524 Wed Jun 04 2008 9:40am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

We were offered only about 10 - 20 mins accompanied test drive, but that was the same as BMW and Merc.

Although RRS lacked the poke of the other two, it only really took that 10 min drive to decide.

Like buying a house, I believe you just know when it feels right. Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #171539 Wed Jun 04 2008 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>