RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Holidaying in Australia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Okay, some further questions having chatted..

Has anyone driven along the Pacific Coast Highway from Melbourne to Sydney, and is that a two day trip, and if so where do you break ot and have anight stop.

I've always assumed the Blue Mountains is just a day trip out of Sydney, is this correct or is there more than a days worth to see in and around the Blue Mountains?

Post #170820 Tue May 27 2008 10:26pm
tastech

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red

Working Dog wrote:
Zilch wrote:
Mens Gallery on George Street is better, and possibly minx's Whistle

Ayers Rock and Kakadu get a vote from me.

And Zilch - try MG's in Melbourne Wink

try Kittens in mel Mr. Green Mr. Green ...where you can actually touch... Toyota Corolla...Sad((((
formerly: RRS TdV6 Rimini Red, Alapaca, Sat Nav, Prem Ice, Hybrid TV, Cooler, FPS, Tow pack, roof mounted lighthouse

Post #170830 Wed May 28 2008 6:06am
tastech

2nd Rower wrote:

Has anyone driven along the Pacific Coast Highway from Melbourne to Sydney, and is that a two day trip, and if so where do you break ot and have anight stop.

I've always assumed the Blue Mountains is just a day trip out of Sydney, is this correct or is there more than a days worth to see in and around the Blue Mountains?

the coast road can get winding, maybe eden is a good place to stop off , you sometimes see whales off the coast and there is the whale museum.

Blue mountains can be done in a day, its about 2hours out from cbd...the main attractions are the 3 sisters and the world steepest rail and sky thingy...but there are amazing views to be had as well as some hiking. Toyota Corolla...Sad((((
formerly: RRS TdV6 Rimini Red, Alapaca, Sat Nav, Prem Ice, Hybrid TV, Cooler, FPS, Tow pack, roof mounted lighthouse

Post #170831 Wed May 28 2008 6:12am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yeah, Blue Mountains beautiful... and on our trip someone who'd been on the juice the previous night was kind enough to throw up in the coach Thumbs Up

Worth a trip into Ayers Rock/Uluru too... it's two or three hours flight up from Sydney, but definitely worth seeing at sunrise - the rock has this odd glow about it. They also do this gourmet meal out in the desert under the stars, that was pretty interesting - a "local" astronomer gives you a tour through all the stars in the sky. All pretty touristy, but if you've never been it's worth doing imho Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #170853 Wed May 28 2008 10:44am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

2nd Rower wrote:

Buzz Ivery on PM, i have driven from Melbourne to Tathra (near Bega) then home to Sydney after a few days off roading, but went the mountain route to Tathra and it still took 8 hours. To many roo's and wombats when it gets dark. Good place to stop is Bateman Bay, you can do pebbly beach just north of bateman to watch the roo's in the surf at dusk, and next day hit Sydney within 4-6 hours when you leave. Some Nice Scenery north of Wollongong on the coast, or cut in before and do Kangaroo Valley if you fancy a stop for the night.

Yep, Blue Mountains within a few hours and all can be done on the day, you can add the zigzag railway at Lithgow as well if you do the Blue Mountains

Cheers

Jim Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #170856 Wed May 28 2008 10:50am
tastech

shmoogle wrote:

Worth a trip into Ayers Rock/Uluru too... it's two or three hours flight up from Sydney, but definitely worth seeing at sunrise - the rock has this odd glow about it. They also do this gourmet meal out in the desert under the stars, that was pretty interesting - a "local" astronomer gives you a tour through all the stars in the sky. All pretty touristy, but if you've never been it's worth doing imho Thumbs Up

Yeah I did ayres rock in a day or 24hrs...landed at 2pm did the olgas and the rock at sunset, dinner (but not the starlight one..that would have been good..) and up at 5 for the sunrise and the rock climb...and then on the plane at 12 back to sydney...

But i went in summer it was 45 deg and sizzling...but now is a better time to go. Toyota Corolla...Sad((((

Post #170865 Wed May 28 2008 11:15am
2nd Rower

Just a thought.. has anyone actually driven to Uluru from Melbourne or Sydney? Was it worth it over flying and how many days did that take?

Post #170953 Wed May 28 2008 10:36pm
2nd Rower

The itinerary is taking shape and have a couple more questions:

How long in hours is it to drive from Melbourn to Sydney direct up the Hume Freeway?

Again how long in elapsed time would it take to drive from Sydney to Melbourne down the Pacific Freeway - and particularly can this be done in one day?

Lastly what is the best way to drop into Canberra (if at all) on the way from Sydney to Melbourne (trying to incorporate the Pacific Freeway)?

Post #177851 Thu Jul 17 2008 6:01am
Zilch

2nd Rower wrote:
How long in hours is it to drive from Melbourn to Sydney direct up the Hume Freeway?

I have done Melbourne in approx 9 hours (of course watching the speed), straight down the Hume via Canberra. However i live in North Sydney and within Striking distance of the M2 and motorway system, to get into town you may wish to round it up to 10 ish hours.

2nd Rower wrote:
Again how long in elapsed time would it take to drive from Sydney to Melbourne down the Pacific Freeway - and particularly can this be done in one day?

I reckon as a minimum you are looking at 12 hours without stopping nor traffic... it is a long trek if you stick to the coast. I went to Tathra from Melbourne, which is quite direct, that took 8 hours, a further 4-6 to Sydney, traffic dependent of course.. so a bit of a lottery

2nd Rower wrote:
Lastly what is the best way to drop into Canberra (if at all) on the way from Sydney to Melbourne (trying to incorporate the Pacific Freeway)?

Hume from Sydney to Canberra, across to surfside, then down the coast, about 14-15 hours of driving, so if split over a few days very nice.

Enjoy.. and a nice extension to your drive experience, whilst in Sydney 2 hours north on the F3, Stockton beach, dune driving Thumbs Up Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #178008 Thu Jul 17 2008 11:28am
2nd Rower

Thanks Zilch Thumbs Up

Post #178258 Fri Jul 18 2008 12:34am
redrover

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Having Done the hume and pacific hwy many times between Sydney an Melbourne... You could do Melbourne to Canberra, then down the mountain to Batemans Bay. You could then either explore the coast South as far as Narooma, or head North to Berry and take a great little road from there to Kangaroo Valley, then up to the Southern Highlands (visit Berrima) and back on the Hume to Sydney. There are many interesting places to stop and explore on this route. TDV6, MYO7 Java with Ivory leather, 19 inch wheels

Post #180053 Sat Jul 26 2008 12:40pm
2nd Rower

Resurrecting this thread as flights are booked and I'm now plotting in detail..

Will be doing a 4 day trip to Sydney driving up via the coast highway probably with an overnight stop in Eden.. Is this a straightforward route from melbourne or are there options i will need to consider?

I don't have Sat Nav in the RRS so should I be looking for a Tom Tom or similar, or are there any good map books that will help here?

Doing a day trip into the Blue Mountains in the RRS from our base in the Sydney CBD, what would be the best route option here to try and get to see as much as possible in a day? Again is there a map/book I should be using..? Also we'll only have the one car, so won't want to be too risky, but would still like to get off of the bituman a little...

Will be in Tassie for 3 days (without the RRS) and will be between hobart and Launceston, what are the things that we would want need to do whilst here?

Again thanks in advance for all the help and any replies! Cool

Post #188362 Tue Sep 16 2008 3:54am
Zilch

did you make a decision on the hema system ?? When are you likely to be up.. i was just wondering whether we want to maybe plan a local victoria/nsw get together at some mutual place.. would be good to include maybe a stopover and maybe a wine region, but that could narrow it, so any thoughts Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #190018 Mon Sep 29 2008 11:15am
2nd Rower

Trip is tight for itinerary so will not have much if any time to meet whilst in Sydney in Nov, unless you come round Blue Mountains with us!!! I think it's mainly midweek days we are there so guessing you would need to take midweek days off Zilch!

Have replied to you poll and am up for that if we can get a convenient weekend. With the distances inolved between NSW and VIC would have to be a weekend not just a day thing I think!

Post #190136 Mon Sep 29 2008 11:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12