RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > US Model RRS S/C
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

dubai

United Arab Emirates 
US Model RRS S/C

Going to spend 4 months on an extended road trip around USA, starting later this month.
Planning to buy new 2008 model RRS S/C over there and ship back home to Dubai afterwards.
The cars in Dubai are much cheaper than UK, but the US price for the RRS is still 20 - 25% less than here, depending on specs and options.
Question is how easily can I change the Sat Nav maps from USA to Middle East or Europe. Is it a simple software upgrade that my dealer can carry out?

Cheers
Dubai

Post #168784 Tue May 06 2008 8:32pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Check import tax back to UAE - have a few clients who have tried this with AC Cobras and works out very expensive with shipping and can take 4-6 months....

Post #168786 Tue May 06 2008 8:42pm
dubai

United Arab Emirates 

NickM wrote:
Check import tax back to UAE - have a few clients who have tried this with AC Cobras and works out very expensive with shipping and can take 4-6 months....

I have shipped a couple of cars from USA to Dubai in the past.
Import duty is 5%, and transit time from Florida to Dubai is 30 days direct monthly sailings.
If I try to rent a SUV over there for 4 months it will cost a small fortune and as I plan to buy RRS anyway it makes sense to buy it over there and use it for my holiday and save the rental costs. There are a few minor differences is the specs/options but nothing major.

Post #168787 Tue May 06 2008 9:00pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

What co. do you use to ship back? people i work for would be very interested. The cars normally come from California. Thanks

Post #168788 Tue May 06 2008 9:20pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

I rent a Q7 for about $3500 a month....

Post #168789 Tue May 06 2008 9:21pm
oilman151

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

The Sat Nav should simply be a disc change. Under the drivers seat (in LHD car?)
ANT Range Rover Evoque 5 door on order.
2006Java/Alpaca/4.4HSE/PTIS/Tracker/pp/Tasmods/Black side repeaters/Custom exhaust (gone but not forgotten!)
Land Rover Defender 110 CSW 200 TDi blue (Offroad prep'ed).
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
Aston Martin DB9 Tungsten Silver
Another Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (Christinemobile)
1990 Mini Cooper SE - classic! (now sold)
New addition - 1972 Triumph Stag Pimento Red

Post #168792 Tue May 06 2008 9:36pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

oilman151 wrote:
The Sat Nav should simply be a disc change. Under the drivers seat (in LHD car?)
ANT

Yep as Oilman said just a disc change no need to change anything else as GPS is world wide so you can pick up a signal any where you go RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #168829 Wed May 07 2008 12:29pm
MX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Wonder if you can get an Overfinched RRS from the US and import back ............was chatting to a guy in one at the lights today and it looked f Censored g awesome in Java. Cool

I've had my car for a month and a half and already my head is being turned ..... that is bad! RRS TDV6 SE Java Black +towpack +tintent +Permagrin

What a difference between this and my old Disco3
Formerly mxgeldar7

Post #168831 Wed May 07 2008 12:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Guys...

I'm pretty sure that the US system is not the Denso based system we have in the UK.

It's worth a search on here. Has been discussed before.

of course, i don#t know which system is fitted in Dubai and therefore whether or not maps are available.

Navteq maps are available if you have the correct Nav system
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...gories=YES 2022 P440e AB

Post #168843 Wed May 07 2008 1:20pm
dubai

United Arab Emirates 

PauloAmore wrote:
Guys...

I'm pretty sure that the US system is not the Denso based system we have in the UK.

of course, i don#t know which system is fitted in Dubai and therefore whether or not maps are available.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...gories=YES

I think you may be correct. Checking that site seems to imply the US system is different from European one. I have shot them off a email asking the question, so will see what they come back with.

Cheers,

Post #168873 Wed May 07 2008 4:11pm
dubai

United Arab Emirates 

NickM wrote:
I rent a Q7 for about $3500 a month....

Was that all inclusive with insurance for all states and collision damage waiver?
Still a lot of cash, $14,000 for 4 months.
Cheers,

Post #168875 Wed May 07 2008 4:13pm
dubai

United Arab Emirates 

NickM wrote:
What co. do you use to ship back? people i work for would be very interested. The cars normally come from California. Thanks

Both cars I shipped were also from California, and it did take longer. Don't remember exactly, about 6 weeks I think. Jacksonville Florida to Dubai is lot less. Friend of mine shipped a sailing boat from there on RO RO and it took 30 days.

Cheers,

Post #168877 Wed May 07 2008 4:19pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The main companies that ship via Ro-Ro from the USA are Wil Wilhelmsen Lines (used to be called Barber Lines) and National Shipping Corporation of Saudi Arabia. Wilhelmsen have a worldwide service on modern RoRos and have contracts with all the Western car makers to ship their cars around the world. My own company Maersk Line also have a fleet of car-carrying RoRos but they don't operate to the East Coast of the USA. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #168879 Wed May 07 2008 5:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dubai

United Arab Emirates 

dubai wrote:
PauloAmore wrote:
Guys...

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...gories=YES

I think you may be correct. Checking that site seems to imply the US system is different from European one. I have shot them off a email asking the question, so will see what they come back with.

Received this reply from Navteq: -

Thank you for your interest in our products.

NAVTEQ is the database supplier for many different navigation systems on the market. However, there have in the past been some software issues regarding the onboard navigation systems in Range Rover's purchases in the United States and Range Rovers purchased in Europe.

In this case to receive information regarding products for your navigation system, we recommend you to contact a Land Rover dealer directly.

Should you require additional information, please send us your feedback by replying to this email. You may also contact us through our Customer Service Centre at the phone numbers provided below.

When responding, please refer to this email including your reference number.

With kind regards,

Not very conclusive either way, but still leaves a big doubt in my mind. This could be a real show stopper as no point in bringing home a car that the sat nav will not operate in my region.
Can any of our American members throw any light on the matter? Are their maps uploaded via DVD under the passenger seat or better still have they tried loading European maps....I know it's a long shot but worth asking.
Thanks for any input.

Cheers
Dubai

Cheers,

Post #169013 Thu May 08 2008 3:36pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

I never loaded a DVD other than NA versions in my RRS here in the US so I don't know if the switch would work without hiccups, however the system and interface here are by Denso, using Navteq data just like yours, so I suspect it would. Back in 2006, we even shared the 1791 hack code to enable navigation on the move... Then the on-the-move restriction was removed from European systems (and the 1791 code was removed from NA bound cars. Sad ) The latest navigation discs (07 and 08 versions) contain a file that updates the firmware of the system when you load them in the DVD drive the first time - the infamous loading.kwi file - so I think any differences in firmware between US and UK/ROW satnavs would be corrected whenever you switch discs. But it's all a theory of mine, so take it with a grain of salt. Wink 

Post #169026 Thu May 08 2008 4:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>