RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Cayenne GTS vs. Audi Q7 vs. RRS Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

AJSG

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey
Cayenne GTS vs. Audi Q7 vs. RRS Supercharged

Had the GTS only for about 45 minutes today, of which I shared half the drive with Elena.

What is clear is that dynamically this car is simply from a different design philosophy. Whilst the Q7 4.2 is not too dissimilar from the RRS, the GTS is quite astonishingly different. Turn in is much better, it stays flatter and simply isn't phased by mid corner changes in direction (our was fitted with Air Suspension Option).

Engine sound is again a different league, sounds much more aggressive when pushed and is happier than both others to be stressed. Here the RRS's shockingly bad consumption comes to light, we managed 23mpg on a sprightly drive against the RRS's usual 9-14mpg (depending on who is driving).

Ergonomically the GTS is better than the Q7, but I find that RRS has the edge, although the steering wheel angle is still too truck like.

The GTS instruments feel antiquated compared to the Q7, however the lack of stupid repeating indicators is a huge plus in my book. The outside of the GTS is much nicer than the old Cayenne, almost bearable in fact. Trim is still slightly cheap, and here is where the RRS scores some major points.

However a gripe I have with all three is that they have cheap and horrible door handles. Compare them to a 2005 Alfa 147 and you will see what I mean, at over 60k you should have something better than nasty badly fitted plastic.

On the 4th April I wrote about the Q7 and concluded that I still prefered the RRS. For similar reasons I almost still prefer the RRS because of its poise and elegance. However on the move it is totally outclassed here.

The GTS is quite a bit more expensive though, it came in at about 6000 over the RRS.

However the Cayenne does offer one thing that none of the other do, there is no diesel in its family.... 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Grey/Black Int.
2005 Quattroporte Grey/Black Int.

Post #166643 Tue Apr 22 2008 5:37pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Good review Thumbs Up

However, I feel Clarkson sums it up quite nicely:

This really is a car that drowned in Lake Ugly. And to make it even worse, my test car was finished in exactly the same colour as a diseased placenta Bow down Rolling with laughter

and

So I still think the Range Rover is a better bet. It doesn’t work half so well on the Nürburgring, it’s just as hopeless in London and I bet it wouldn’t last half as long on a tank proving ground. But at least it doesn’t make you feel sick every time you see it. Whistle L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #166644 Tue Apr 22 2008 5:48pm
AJSG

You are right, the RRS is still a really nice car, however the ownership experience for me has been awful. Having said that Maserati UK were as poor as dealing with the issues as Land Rover, and I've had my QP for almost 3 years now.

The problem is always the same, the only way to get these kind of people to do anything is kick and scream and threaten to sue. There is little civility left, the oik rules.

At the moment, top of the pile is the Q7...probably for all the wrong reasons... 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Grey/Black Int.

Post #166656 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:06pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

GL420 Thumbs Up

Post #166658 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:08pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

AJSG wrote:
You are right, the RRS is still a really nice car, however the ownership experience for me has been awful. Having said that Maserati UK were as poor as dealing with the issues as Land Rover, and I've had my QP for almost 3 years now.

The problem is always the same, the only way to get these kind of people to do anything is kick and scream and threaten to sue. There is little civility left, the oik rules.

At the moment, top of the pile is the Q7...probably for all the wrong reasons...

Indeed. Ownership experience is what it is all about, however, all car makes have rough dealers and some makes require beating up more than others, I hear horror stories about Audi, BMW etc etc......for me, the worst experience (twice) was owning a BMW......2 cars, 2 different dealers - both = 110% useless. Censored

Again, for me, Land Rover have been very, very good in the customer relations department - it shouldn't be, but it's all down to the luck of the draw. Crying or Very sad

And yes, Q7 for all the WRONG reasons.....it's just wrong! Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #166662 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:16pm
AJSG

Kaine wrote:
GL420 Thumbs Up

Not for me, nor an X5/X3...just not for me...nor for Elena...just couldn't do it....... 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Grey/Black Int.

Post #166663 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:22pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

AJSG wrote:
Kaine wrote:
GL420 Thumbs Up

Not for me, nor an X5/X3...just not for me...nor for Elena...just couldn't do it.......

X5 - Laughable

X3 - A good punchline to any joke! L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #166664 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:24pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

AJSG,

I wouldn't compare the GL420 to an X5 or X3 for a second - its a very competant car

Post #166665 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:33pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

will_wonka wrote:
X5 - Laughable

really? I thought the X5 was a good car - no?

Post #166667 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:34pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Kaine wrote:
AJSG,

I wouldn't compare the GL420 to an X5 or X3 for a second - its a very competant car

Yes, but horrible interior, trying to compete with the FFRR and not seeing too many on my travels, not making a very good job of it. L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #166668 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:36pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

a bit like the RRS then?

Post #166669 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:36pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

AJSG wrote:
Kaine wrote:
GL420 Thumbs Up

Not for me, nor an X5/X3...just not for me...nor for Elena...just couldn't do it.......

I've gone off topic though I guess - I was really impressed with the GL420 due to the V8 Diesel so that doesn't really help you

Post #166671 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:39pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Kaine wrote:
a bit like the RRS then?

Touche. At least the RRS is somewhat decent and has a decent Sat Nav....the Merc is plain hideous and the Sat Nav requires a scientific degree! FF still rules for interior and hopefully the revised RRS interior will go some way to rebalancing its only main flaw, i.e. too D3 Smile L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #166672 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:40pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Kaine wrote:
will_wonka wrote:
X5 - Laughable

really? I thought the X5 was a good car - no?

Was being the keyword. It still drives fantastically, but everything else is just adequate. Smile L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #166673 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:42pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

ok, your not going to bite so I'll have to agree instead Wink

Personally I always disliked the centre console on the RRS - it felt like it had been designed by 9 year olds drawing the cockpit of a space rocket - also some of the materials just aren't fitting with a 50k car. My other gripe with the RRS was the interior space, plus I personally had an issue with the seat comfort. To be honest though these were my only gripes, plus I had no technical probs in the 18 months I owned it.

I had the GL420 for a day at the end of last year and putting the looks aside I fell for it big time - the engine was superb and ride was a dream compared to the RRS - I planning on getting one myself later in the year

Kaine

Post #166674 Tue Apr 22 2008 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>