RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > ipod's for christmas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 
ipod's for christmas

Just waiting to get a barrage of posts about how to attach an ipod to the RRS after Christmas! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8640 Thu Dec 22 2005 4:02pm
Robbi

Guernsey 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Here's one option by Harman Kardon.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx

Reviews here:

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2005/Wo...stLook.htm

or

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/driveplay.ars

....and buy here...somewhat pricey!

http://www.easyipod.co.uk/product.php?xProd=348&xSec=1 Rob
*Gone - HSE TDV8 Rimini Red + Tasmod sill plates

Post #9192 Sun Jan 01 2006 5:38pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Very simple really 3.5mm headphone plug from Ipod, same plug on other end of cable into Aux socket, select Aux function from radio controls, volume tends to be a little low relative to Cd's. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #9208 Sun Jan 01 2006 9:46pm
Robbi

Rob_J wrote:
volume tends to be a little low relative to Cd's.

I am no expert, have the ipod but not the RRS yet!, but thats because the headphone jack lineout has a low level output. That's all you need to power small headphones without bursting an ear drum!

Any of those after market stereos for ipod's use the USB connector dock for audio output. I assume it's not only for the convenience of docking the ipod but also because the output is greater.

I think there are ipod car adapters out there that connect the USB connector to the aux....but still researching. Rob

Post #9211 Sun Jan 01 2006 10:40pm
Robbi

Like this one:

http://www.sik.com/imp.php

to quote: "the imp adapter provides newer dock-connector iPods with a genuine line-level output jack, normally available only from the dock base. " Rob

Post #9214 Sun Jan 01 2006 10:51pm
DrLex

Iceland 

this one is available from the apple store and other places for around £20 and works a treat.
Like the SIK one it has a line-level out, but also has a volume wheel, to make matching volume a bit easier. It charges the ipod too.
I stripped it down and put it inside the central console, with just the ipod connector in the cubby to keep things neat.

Post #9219 Sun Jan 01 2006 11:50pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

DrLex wrote:
this one is available from the apple store and other places for around £20 and works a treat.
Like the SIK one it has a line-level out, but also has a volume wheel, to make matching volume a bit easier. It charges the ipod too.
I stripped it down and put it inside the central console, with just the ipod connector in the cubby to keep things neat.

Pictures please. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9221 Mon Jan 02 2006 12:39am
grommet

United States 

Any iPod accessory that offers an audio jack via the dock connector will offer a more powerful line-out. (The Belkin charger/audio device isn't an amplifier, even though they market it that way... it's actually an attenuator knob.) The level will generally still be somewhat lower than other audio sources (~5 volume ticks less), but it will vary depending on iPod type and content. At least it's better than the headphone jack. (And yes, I'll compain again: Land Rover, add an AUX input volume offset to the stereo UI NOW!)

There are probably 25 other threads on the same topic here and on Disco3... Very Happy

Post #9222 Mon Jan 02 2006 3:20am
DrLex

Iceland 

Very annoyed wrote:
DrLex wrote:

Pictures please.

Since you asked nicely, I've put one in the gallery, but before you view it, note that
1) it's only the visible bit
2) it's a Discovery 3, not a RRS (but the guts are almost identical)

As Grommet notes, there's been plenty of discussion about this on the disco3 site - the harman kardon drive and play looks to be the best implementation of ipod functionality until LR sit down with them and design a proper system. Of course, that'll be on the RRS mk II or III....

Post #9233 Mon Jan 02 2006 12:23pm
Robbi

grommet wrote:
There are probably 25 other threads on the same topic here and on Disco3... Very Happy

Thanks. Taken a look on D3.co.uk and seen the number of techy posts on ipods. Will keep one eye on D3.co.uk in future Very Happy Rob

Post #9242 Mon Jan 02 2006 4:53pm
mnederlof

United States 
Drive + Play

I installed the Drive + Play (links in a prior post on this thread) this weekend, and I'm very happy with it. Before this I had the ipod in a cradle that sat in a cup holder, and this had a power cable and the aux cable that I ran back to the outlets/inlets on the back of the center arm rest. Not very ship shape.

The I-Drive brain goes in my cooler box, the 12v power is run back to the same DC outlet on the back of the center armrest, as is the 3.5 mm audio source. The control head I mounted just forward of the center armrest opening latch, on the narrow piece of fixed plastic under which the cup holder sliding cover retracts. There's an inch or so of flat surface (a little more narrow than the base of the controller, but the adhesive pad sticks nicely to this, and it looks pretty good (I'll post pictures tomorrow).

The display head sits on the shelf above the glove box, all the way to the left, just to the right of the nav display, and fits nicely in that space, doesn't look out of place at all (it's a US, LH drive car, for you UK folks trying to picture this). Although the display is out of the line of sight, it's quite easy to glance at; much easier than looking down near the cupholders where the ipod used to be. Plus there are NO exposed wires, except a little bit of wire that comes up the right side of the center armrest and then goes under the cover and into the cooler....really not visible at all.

As the review above says, the control is not exactly IPOD compliant, but it's really easy to use; no more fumbling when driving. When the car is turned off, and subsequently restarted, starts up right where it left off, etc.

I'll take some pictures and post tonight.

One other thing: my dealer installed the dealer-option blue tooth kit, and in so doing, updated the software on the audio system. I could SWEAR that the volume level on the AUX in is much better; almost so good that when I switch to FM, you don't blow your brains out. I asked the dealer if there was a software update with the bluetooth module, and they said there was.... Any one else have experience with this? Also, before this I used a Boosteroo, which amplifies a 3.5mm feed, and uses 2 AAA batteries. Problem with this is that you have to manually switch it on and off. 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #9363 Tue Jan 03 2006 11:32pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Lots of good info there. I haven't tried connecting my iPod in the car yet, but is it unlistenable just using a good old 3.5mm jackplug with volume turned up? I take the point about having the windows explode if you change to another input afterwards without lowering the volume first but I'm not one to listen to music at huge volume anyway... 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9364 Tue Jan 03 2006 11:51pm
grommet

United States 

shmoogle wrote:
Lots of good info there. I haven't tried connecting my iPod in the car yet, but is it unlistenable just using a good old 3.5mm jackplug with volume turned up? I take the point about having the windows explode if you change to another input afterwards without lowering the volume first but I'm not one to listen to music at huge volume anyway...
Yes, it will work well enough... just don't keep your Navigation voice on. That's the biggest issue, since the designers didn't allow you to set a "fixed' volume for it. It will be very loud.

If you use an iPod, at least get the affordable Belkin charger/line-out audio... one cable to your iPod, powers/charges it, increases the volume & fits nicely plugged into the rear power plug & AUX input. (Just add a very short 3.5mm cable.)

With most iPod's line-out (Belkin, Drive+Play, etc.)... it's approximately 5 "Land Rover" volume stops lower in volume than the same music content being played from CD directly. (Some iPod models may be better.) The headphone jack is worse...

Post #9367 Wed Jan 04 2006 1:12am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

OK - might look into that once I start spending more time in the car. I work from home currently so rarely go anywhere during the week and when we go out at the weekend, the wife is only going to whinge at my choice of music anyway so we tend to have the radio on instead.

What exactly is the Belkin product I need to look at? The Belkin site shows several car iPod products - which one are you talking about? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9383 Wed Jan 04 2006 11:02am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

At present I don't think any of the suggestions are really the answer. I have copied all my most listened music to 4 discs in mp3 format. This is the answer for me at present because the ipod is still to dangerous to change etc when driving. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #9387 Wed Jan 04 2006 11:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>