Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS Supercharged vs Audi Q7 4.2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

AJSG

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey
RRS Supercharged vs Audi Q7 4.2

Spent a couple of hours with a Q7 4.2 yesterday, here are my first impressions:

Dynamics: The cars are reasonably similar in the way they handle themselves, although the Q7 CoG feels a lot lower. You feel this particularly when switching direction from on a set of mid speed corners 50-60mph. The tyres fitted (Eagle F1) might be contributing to the feeling that the Q7 is simply a little more modern, in fact initial turn in is far more precise.

Engine: Speed on paper is reasonably similar, although at the top end the S/C aerodynamics mean that there is a 15mph difference between the two. In gear the S/C always feels faster, but both have a nice engine sound and don't sound stressed when pushed hard.

Ergonomics: Personally find the S/C more comfortable, but my wife thinks the exact contrary. Rest is reasonably personal, adjustment is similar. Accelerator is less sensitive but that is just semantics, the steering wheel can be adjusted to a more car like position than the S/C.

Instruments: Here is the main difference between the two cars, the RRS looks and feels (from the control perspective) like a car designed in the 90s'. Granted pretty avant guard for the 90s, but still the 90s. The Q7 controls work a lot better. Major downside, the maddening indicator...as you touch it it will flash three times in one direction...if you forget about this you end up looking like a lunatic going up the motorway indicating 3 times left...then....3 times right....then....3 times left etc etc....until you realise you just let it be...I would spend a lot of money to have that removed!

Personal Conclusion: I still prefer the S/C, I think it looks better and it feels more dignified inside. The Q7 "is" a better car, however its just too bland inside, just too boring. Its like comparing an Alfa 159 and a BMW 3-series, wallet says the 3-series, heart soul and taste say the 159.

We priced one with a good specification and the S/C was still a bit more expensive, which I think in these markets is reasonably unjustifiable. This was in fact my only real gripe, how can Audi build such a good car and charge so much less than Land Rover. Also, real life consumption of the Audi is half of the S/C, I usually do between 9-11mpg and my wife between 11-14, the Audi managed 22mpg on our run. 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Grey/Black Int.
2005 Quattroporte Grey/Black Int.

Post #163358 Fri Apr 04 2008 5:49am
NickM

United Kingdom 

Think we are forgetting one huge point here - it is without doubt the ugliest car on the road. I had one as a hire car for 3 weeks in the US not long back....and I hated it - nice interior granted, but from behind, it just looks wrong wrong wrong! The RRS has far greater street presence and a much more agressive stance.....

Post #163369 Fri Apr 04 2008 8:28am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

I agree with you both...

Phew..! Thumbs Up 2022 P440e AB

Post #163379 Fri Apr 04 2008 9:09am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

I disagree the Q7 is one of the ugliest cars on the road Confused

I think it looks very imposing and I like it - not keen on the side profile as much, but thats mainly due to its size. I drove the 4.2tdi Q7 and liked it, plus I agree with your wife that its more comfortable than the RRS - that plus its bigger inside. On long journeys my wife sits with her legs crossed on the seat however in the RRS she could never do that as it was too small - all other cars (Touareg, BMW 5 and now Allroad) she can do this.

Another advantage of the Q7 is its a good residuals performer - on par with the RRS

Post #163382 Fri Apr 04 2008 9:39am
NickM

United Kingdom 

My only beef with the RRS is the seats are too narrow - and kaine you're right mate, my wife can't get comfortable - and I think the seats need extensions to pull out for longer journeys to rest under the thighs.....like on BMW's and Audi's......

Post #163384 Fri Apr 04 2008 9:42am
lemm

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Quote:

I usually do between 9-11mpg and my wife between 11-14, the Audi managed 22mpg on our run.

ekkk... i get around 15mpg and i'm not exactly slow. managed 17 on a trip down to Devon/Cornwall... RRS First Edition S/C, Vesuvius Orange, Rear Entertainment, Alpine TUE-T200DV, Stormer Alloys. (+ 19" MTR's for playing in the snow!)

Post #163386 Fri Apr 04 2008 9:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PauloAmore

Scotland 

lemm wrote:
Quote:

I usually do between 9-11mpg and my wife between 11-14, the Audi managed 22mpg on our run.

ekkk... i get around 15mpg and i'm not exactly slow. managed 17 on a trip down to Devon/Cornwall...

Me too. 2022 P440e AB

Post #163387 Fri Apr 04 2008 10:08am
AJSG

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Indeed, our S/C's consumption is pretty spectacular...I did Vezelay to Ferrara in 9hours with the Quattroporte, and we averaged 11mpg.... 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Grey/Black Int.
2005 Quattroporte Grey/Black Int.

Post #163388 Fri Apr 04 2008 10:16am
l

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

My friend has a Q7 inside is very nice but I have to say that the Porshe Cayenne looks nice next to the Q7! Laughing RRS TDV6 HSE BUCKINGHAM BLUE BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR RHODIUM TASMOD SILLS PARROT 3000 EVOLUTION WHITE SIDE REPEATERS RRPORT.CO.UK BROLLY & STICKER
HOW GOOD IS THIS CAR!!!!
8 YEARS AND STILL GETTING LOOKS

Post #163401 Fri Apr 04 2008 11:49am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Still think the Q7 looks better than a Cayenne really... although they're both an acquired taste Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #163404 Fri Apr 04 2008 11:57am
Steve in germany

Germany 

Well I have owned one and i liked it, I liked it alot. But now I own a RRS TDV8, enough said!

Would i have another one? maybe this one.

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/experienc...2_tdi.html Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #163409 Fri Apr 04 2008 12:11pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Q7 is a great car with the 12 TDI.......would prefer it in a R8 though.....speaking of which, even though I decided not to get an R8, I have an offer from Audi for a 7 day test drive in one to see what I think.......am scared of saying yes in case I like it more than the Maser I'm getting and then have a doubt in my mind......if I can arrange it, anyone else fancy it for the week???

Post #163429 Fri Apr 04 2008 1:16pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Of course!!! I am the most worthy substitute as I've had to give up good cars due to an "improved" family situation! Rolling Eyes 

Post #163432 Fri Apr 04 2008 1:28pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

...and I responded first!!! And I'm a mod Whistle Laughing 

Post #163433 Fri Apr 04 2008 1:29pm
Steve in germany

Germany 

S are you getting a bit excited Laughing , the guy next to where I work has one, he always goes past our place with it running in first gear, it makes quite a noise!! Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #163438 Fri Apr 04 2008 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>