Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Window Tinting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Toodeep

United Kingdom 
Window Tinting

RRUK

When I ordered my previous car (X5) with privacy glass it was with the intention to have the front side windows tinted to match. When it came to it I wanted the factory tints darker so I had tint film applied OVER the factory tints and then a darker film applied to the fronts. The darker front tints and the combination tints at the rear were not an exact match according to a light meter but were to my naked eye. I did not go as dark as you obviously want to but this route might solve your issue with the too visble heater/aerial elements in a way that dark film alone couldn't.

My BMW had a very light coloured interior (Champagne) without which I might not have gone as dark as I did. In any case I would caution against going really dark at the front. I've done this in the past and it is illegal for the very good reason that even if you can cope with the reduced direct vision, at night the door mirrors become almost ornaments. There are quite a few wide eyed cyclists around south London that will testify to this.

You might be surprised how dark even a medium tint can appear given a dark coloured interior and the reduced amount of light entering the car anyway due to the rear tints. Another solution might be that some companies use film that is reflective to various degrees. This reflectivity is often not obvious but can be enough to make seeing into especially a moving car all but impossible. Yet from inside it is possible to see out very well.

Incidentally, I didn't bother with the factory privacy glass because of the X5 experience where I basically paid for two lots of tints. I elected instead to have aftermarket tints to my (not quite legal) specification and I only advocate that you go the tint over tint route because of the heater element issue which this solution may address to some degree. Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #968 Thu Jul 14 2005 1:18pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I had already told my dealer that I want to go for factory spec tinted glass rather than the film. At least that way, as you say, I could always get more tints put on. And, having tried reversing a range rover in the dark in a tight spot with very dark tints, it can have its drawbacks.

I don;t want the summer to pass quickly but I can't wait to get the car..... L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #969 Thu Jul 14 2005 3:42pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
tinted windows

had my rrs rimini red with midmight at rear, and legal smoke lite on front.
factory tints were not very dark at all. \if you want real dark on rear, look at limo tint.

Post #990 Fri Jul 15 2005 6:55pm
John

United Kingdom 

I have factory tints on my Java Black RRS and it is so dark it matches the car, unlike the Cayenne & X5 which I felt was not dark enough. You really cannot see anything left inside the car which is great for security, and you dont get that annoying area around the heating elements and aerial.

Post #993 Fri Jul 15 2005 9:04pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Thanks john, that's what I needed someone to tell me who actually HAD the car with factory tints.

THanks everyone though for your input. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #996 Sat Jul 16 2005 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12