RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Lurking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

watteau

United Arab Emirates 
Lurking

I have been lurking in the wings on both RRSPORT and DISCO3 for about a month now, firstly excellent information and very good banter. I live in Dubai with my wife and I am a property developer, I have a 2002 P38 RR, its on its last legs, 120,000 kms, swapped out the air suspension, new engine and gearbox, just before the warranty expired. The RRS SC is 300,000 AED and the LR3 V8 HSE is 210,000 AED, this works out at about 46k GBP and 33k GBP, the LR3 needs an A frame, driving lights and side steps this will be approx 3k GBP, accessories are very expensive over here. Sorry I have to say this but petrol is 1 GBP per gallon over here for the good stuff, so that is not a consideration. I am genuinely stumped as to which to choose, having read every post on both sites, I have come to the conclusion that on pure volume of posts there are more issues with the LR3 than with the RRS in any derivative. (Please correct me if you feel I am misguided) There are common issues such as iPod and PTI, who knows where these will end!!!!! But niggles seem to be abound with the LR3, I would like to know for all you RRSPORT bods, your top 3 loves and your top 3 hates about your respective vehicles.

In return for your valuable input, if any of you would like to visit Dubai, we have several holiday apartments and villas for rent, and as any good contributor to this site does I would be happy to offer a discount and a guided tour, including some serious wadi (dry river) bashing.

I look forward to reading your responses

PS, will be posting the same at DISCO3

ATB Alex

Post #9473 Thu Jan 05 2006 10:41am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 
Re: Lurking

Welcome Watteau!

watteau wrote:
Sorry I have to say this but petrol is 1 GBP per gallon over here for the good stuff

Straight away with your cheap petrol comments!! That's not fair! Laughing Laughing

watteau wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that on pure volume of posts there are more issues with the LR3 than with the RRS in any derivative. (Please correct me if you feel I am misguided)

I think that's probably a fair comment. Obviously the LR3/D3 has been around longer than the RRS, so when the RRS went to market a lot of the issues had been dealt with. That said, there are still a few common issues between the two but the RRS does seem generally a little less problematic.

watteau wrote:
There are common issues such as iPod and PTI, who knows where these will end!!!!! But niggles seem to be abound with the LR3, I would like to know for all you RRSPORT bods, your top 3 loves and your top 3 hates about your respective vehicles.

Top 3 loves:

- Drives excellently for a large 2.5 ton heap of metal
- Very comfortable place to be on long journeys (and short ones!)
- Looks great, esp with privacy glass

Top 3 hates:

- My personal pet hate is the SatNav. Others here love it, but alas not me
- Some build issues stand out as unfit for a car costing what it does
- The fact that petrol is too expensive to let me consider buying the SC Wink

watteau wrote:
some serious wadi (dry river) bashing.

The last time I bashed a wadi, I got arrested! Wink

Look at what the D3 has over the RRS.... 7 seats? More luggage space? It's cheaper (for the most part anyway)? Then look at what the RRS has over the D3 - better engine choices, much better interior, infinitely better handling, much better looks. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Good luck with it - let us know what you end up doing! Smile 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9475 Thu Jan 05 2006 11:20am
OzzieSport

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Buckingham Blue

I've had my RRS for 2 months now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I hop in. I had the new ML on order until I stumbled across the RRS and thankful every day I changed. Very Happy

My 3 likes
1. The comfortable driving position and seats
2. The great looks for a 4wd - you get stares
3 The TDV6 fuel economy and torque.

My 3 dislikes
1. off road height does not stay up - goes down from about 50 k/ph - not good on the beach
2. the annoying plastic clips that hold down cover plate for the front and rear tow hitch
3. the rear door is too hard too close - needs the X5 automatic closer

But overall I am still happy with the car despite these annoyances. My wife doesnt like like the look of the LR3, so luckily she loved the RRS

Post #9479 Thu Jan 05 2006 11:57am
kam100

United Kingdom 

Hi, welcome to RRSport.co.uk
Nice to read more guys from Dubai are joining up here, think we have 2 already??

Anyway, back to the point:

3 pet hates, lets start with:
mmm... wouldn't really say i hate anything really with the actual car itself,
but there are things i would change, but i would have to be picky really.

1/ I would agree with the above, would be better with some assisted mechanism on rear hatch as you do have to slam it quite hard to close it, but i can live with it, as i hardly use my boot really.
2) Interior plastics could be slightly better, and the heating is crap at start (although being in dubai, what do you care about that? Aircon works well, so guess thats the main worry for you).
3) I drive a diesel and for a diesel being 2005 at the time of release and diesels being a lot more advanced nowadays, our engines should be a) more frugal then what they are really, b) quicker then the standard 190bhp they come with.
But seeing as though you are in Dubai, you won't really be too bothered with A, and as you are buying a SC, B is kind of covered also? So its sorted for you really.

Thinking about it, most of my dislikes about the car stem from the climate and the way it behaves here, maybe i should ship mine out to Dubai/Turkey too? i.e. things Censored me off when its cold, and electrics seem to go more wrong in the cold, and it attracts the dirt from the british grotty roads quite badly in the winter.. maybe LR had the US and Middle East market more in mind then us? haha.. course they did, we are a spec in comparison over here.

3 Likes:
1/ Standard Spec is brilliant, mine had PTI and privacy glass added as well as a tracker and its much more specified then the competition at the sale price. I.e. compare to a new ML with same spec. I came from a string of Bmw's and we have had most pretige brands within our family, and things seem to work well in the RRS and i have had 0 problems to date really. I think the sat nav is rather good to be honest (well it has been whenever i have used it - being only about 10 times or so though to be fair). Saying that though in regard to spec, Dubai market usually gets a lot more extras then us suckers, so would love to see the spec sheet of a middle east destined RRS SC, bet it would have more toys then our ones!

2/ Looks fresh and new, compared to the billion X5's on the road, and is a nice compact size compared to the bigger RR brother, but still retains many of the RR's core competencies. Plus the surrounding Dash and Controls makes it more cosseting and 'sport like' compared to cars like the RR and the Landcruiser Amazon (presume you may have owned one of these, seeing as though most people in dubai have at least 1!!).

3/ Everyone seems to want one!! my car still gets comments and attracts positive attention everywhere i go.

I go to Dubai at least once a year and my next trip is scheduled for around April/May time this year. Being in property, what do you think to International City, and also the Marina Area of Dubai. Also do you have any dealings with Zero4 or Vakson? PM me if u prefer to take it off air..

Welcome again..!

Post #9508 Thu Jan 05 2006 8:24pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Welcome Watteau,

Go for a RRS 4.2v8 Supercharged. In fact , for what you pay for fuel I would buy one for each foot Wink Laughing

Seriuosly, its is that good Exclamation

I LIKE

1. Its shape.... sporty stance... ..its looks fast ( whatever the engine choice )
2.Cockpit driving position/ambience = PERFECT
3. Supercharged sound/performance = Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Not Happy With

1.Void between rear seats/boot
2.Poor plastics/trim + lack of storage space/cubby holes
3.There are Better aftermarket satnavs with full 3D graphics - and the lack of TV

There arent really any dislikes - just wish for some improvements. I was going to say poor electronics ( see the thread in My RRS for MDP ) but I will give LR the benefit of doubt in this instance as it would apear the problems I have experienced were down to a faulty ( dead/dying ) battery.

If only petrol was this cheap here Crying or Very sad

its like ...........

" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #9577 Fri Jan 06 2006 12:56pm
watteau

United Arab Emirates 

Here is the standard Specification for The RRS SC in Dubai, they call it "Gulf Spec", it also comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and free servicing for 60,000 KMS, I think that the only thing missing is the adaptive cruise control,

Powertrain
· Supercharged 4.2 litre V8 390ps/287Kw petrol engine
· 6-speed adaptive automatic transmission with CommandShift™ and high/low range with positive Torque

Engineering
· Permanent four wheel drive
· Hill Descent Control
· Four wheel Electronic Traction Control (ETC), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), 4 Channel all terrain ABS
· Brembo front brakes
· Power assisted speed-proportional variable ratio steering
· Monotube dampers
· Electronic Air suspension with Terrain Response™
· Dynamic Response

Information and entertainment
· harman/kardon® LOGIC7 system, 13 speakers, active sub-woofer, rear seat headphone modules, voice control, in dash six CD changer, remote ICE controls
· Premium Navigation with TMC and off-road navigation
· Trip computer (functions include: functions distance to empty, average fuel consumption, range, trip)
· Personal Telephone Integration System

Exterior features
· Park Distance Control (PDC) – front and rear
· Powerfold exterior mirrors
· Bi-xenon Adaptive headlights with corner lamps
· Tailgate-mounted rear spoiler
· Exclusive perforated grille with Titan finish bars
· Exclusive perforated side vents with Titan finish
· Twin tailpipe finishers
· 20 inch alloy wheels fitted as standard

Interior features
· Automatic climate control
· Perforated leather seats
· Leather covered steering wheel and gear knob
· Puddle and footwell lamps
· Cruise control
· Loadspace cover – roller blind
· Illuminated vanity mirrors
· Eight way (driver) and 6 way (passenger) electric front seats with manual lumbar support
· Split rear seat (65:35) including rear armrest
· Cold Climate Pack: Heated front screen, heated washer jets, heated front and rear seats
· Memory Pack: Memorises driver´s front seat and exterior mirrors preferences
· Lower centre console cooler box

Safety & security
· Driver and front passenger front, head and side airbags
· Rear outboard passenger head airbags
· 4 Channel all terrain ABS with all round ventilated disc brakes, electronic park brake and electronic brake assist (EBA)
· Brembo front brakes
· Perimetric alarm system with passive engine immobilisation, volumetric alarm and ultrasonic alarm
· Centrally mounted high stop lamp, mounted in rear spoiler
· Active roll mitigation
· Clear View Pack: Front fog lamps, headlamp power wash, automatic headlamps, rain sensor, electro chromatic rear view mirror

Post #9592 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:26pm
watteau

United Arab Emirates 

MDP wrote:
Welcome Watteau,

Go for a RRS 4.2v8 Supercharged. In fact , for what you pay for fuel I would buy one for each foot Wink Laughing

Seriuosly, its is that good Exclamation

I LIKE

1. Its shape.... sporty stance... ..its looks fast ( whatever the engine choice )
2.Cockpit driving position/ambience = PERFECT
3. Supercharged sound/performance = Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Not Happy With

1.Void between rear seats/boot
2.Poor plastics/trim + lack of storage space/cubby holes
3.There are Better aftermarket satnavs with full 3D graphics - and the lack of TV

There arent really any dislikes - just wish for some improvements. I was going to say poor electronics ( see the thread in My RRS for MDP ) but I will give LR the benefit of doubt in this instance as it would apear the problems I have experienced were down to a faulty ( dead/dying ) battery.

If only petrol was this cheap here Crying or Very sad

its like ...........

Can you shed some more light on the void between seat and boot?

Post #9593 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:30pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Funny that you still get the Cold Climate pack - it's obviously not worth LR replacing those items at build time. I bet the heated seats & windscreen won't get used much Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #9595 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:32pm
watteau

United Arab Emirates 

shmoogle wrote:
Funny that you still get the Cold Climate pack - it's obviously not worth LR replacing those items at build time. I bet the heated seats & windscreen won't get used much Wink

You'd be surprised how good a couple of clicks on the heated seat is for drying out a damp towel from the beach.

Its not that warm at the moment, its down to 10 degrees in the morning Cool Cool

(Lets not start on the temperature thing Embarassed I know you guys are suffering at the moment) I am hoping to win the highest temperature reading competition in the summer though, with whichever vehicle I choose!!!!!

Incidently there are 15 RRS SC available now brand new gulf specs, full warranty with various traders at 30,000 AED over list, the official time is May 2006 from the dealer for the RRS SC, and February for the LR3 (one cancellation in Rimini Red), however no LR3's with the traders.

Alex

Post #9600 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:43pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

watteau wrote:
Can you shed some more light on the void between seat and boot?

I miss the retractable cargo net that you get in the big RR 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #9604 Fri Jan 06 2006 1:53pm
mnederlof

United States 
LR3 vs RRS

I have both vehicles (LR3 and RRS). My primary ride is the RRS SC; best all around manly car, no doubt (not saying anything negative about the LR3, so no flames, please).

The RRS is not an LR3 killer by any means. The 7 seats, the fact that lowering the seats to put cargo in is much easier on the LR3 (I'm sick and tired of having to start the RRS (otherwise electric seat controls are out), walk around, move the front seats forward so I can lower the back seats!), remove the cargo curtain, etc., then put the front seats back, before I can stow big cargo).

We use the LR3 as a family mobile, bigger shoulder room, more comfort in the second row for sure (two big teenagers can ride in the back seat of the RRS, but if it's their choice, they go for the LR3!).

The RRS is fun to drive--definitely my favorite. The LR3 is practical to drive. While the offroad stats are probably close enough, the LR3 SEEMS like it'd handle rough terrain better, or maybe it's just that I wouldn't feel as bad about a few rock chips in the paint.... Rolling Eyes

If you have kids, the usual family gear to tote around, or like more shoulder room, the LR3 is the one. If you're looking for a grown-up only car that is fun to drive (can give you that visceral thrill) it's the RRS... imho

M 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #9816 Mon Jan 09 2006 4:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1