RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Supercharged re-map
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

thebishman

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Kaine,
I think it highly likely that the manufacturers leave at least 10% of the performance 'off of the table', in order to give themselves extra leeway re: decreasing the chance of warranty repairs. This approximate 10% increase in performance could easily be realised by the manufacturer, WITHOUT compromising longevity, reliability, etc., it's just that they choose to 'de-tune' the engine as it were deliberately. This engineered in 'reduced' performance envelope is probably way more than 10% in forced-induction engines, therefore it is quite easy and safe for after-market tuners to 'un-leash' performance that the manufacturer deliberately withheld from us. I would not worry one bit about having the TDV8 re-mapped unless you were planning on keeping such a car for well over 100K miles, and even then it probably wouldn't have an increase in engine related warranty repairs.
Bish '06 RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with RSE; PTI; Electronic Rear Diff and Sirius Sat Radio.

Post #86924 Sat Feb 24 2007 9:33pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Thanks Bish - great reply - thanks for your thoughts Thumbs Up

Post #86927 Sat Feb 24 2007 9:49pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Kaine,

If you know of a tuner that has a disclaimer in operation I'd be grateful if you'd share it with us.

Confused Chips with everything

Post #86951 Sun Feb 25 2007 10:08am
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

LRtuning wrote:
Simon,

The standard ecu has lots of additional power that can be 'released' but the majority of tuners have no idea how to identify the engine map areas within the DENSO system.

There is a great deal that can be done with air/fuel ratio, torque limiters and throttle sensitivity.

There is also an 'overboost' protection in the maps which is why many people can only increase boost pressure by 0.1 bar (or a small pully change in lay man terms).

If you combine a pully change, exhaust and complete remap as above I see no reason why you could not release at least 80bhp....

Smile

Hmmm - ECU´s don´t have "power" as I´m sure you are really aware, they simply optimise fuel and ignition etc etc for the air that the engine is mechanically flowing.

My question was specifically without altering pulleys is there much to be gained??? All air/fuel ratios are a compromise between power and economy, LR will have tried to achieve several goals with their settings but of course is is possible to choose a different compromise in the aftermarket world.

Messing with torque limiters is only of value if they are having a limiting effect or if you have increased the torque already.

Throttle sensitivity may increase the feeling of "power" but doesn´t generate one more ounce of actual torque - and in any case the SC as standard has a very "snappy" throttle response as that was decided by LR as required to convince drivers it was powerful Very Happy

Maybe you could get an extra 80BHP (doesn´t sound like you´ve done it???) but what is realistically possible with only ECU remapping - any idea? Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #86955 Sun Feb 25 2007 10:24am
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

thebishman wrote:
Kaine,
I think it highly likely that the manufacturers leave at least 10% of the performance 'off of the table', in order to give themselves extra leeway re: decreasing the chance of warranty repairs. This approximate 10% increase in performance could easily be realised by the manufacturer, WITHOUT compromising longevity, reliability, etc., it's just that they choose to 'de-tune' the engine as it were deliberately. This engineered in 'reduced' performance envelope is probably way more than 10% in forced-induction engines, therefore it is quite easy and safe for after-market tuners to 'un-leash' performance that the manufacturer deliberately withheld from us. I would not worry one bit about having the TDV8 re-mapped unless you were planning on keeping such a car for well over 100K miles, and even then it probably wouldn't have an increase in engine related warranty repairs.
Bish

The duty cycle of any engine will be quite progressive (ie wear-related) up to the point where some components are seriously stressed, then it will move into a more unpredictable failure-related curve. You are correct that warranty concerns (not just of the engine, the engine may be detuned to prevent drivetrain problems - indeed the original RR was permanent 4WD because of torque issues in the drivetrain components if it was run 2WD), will play a part.

On the good side, I have personally completed 115,000 miles in my stage 2 tuned D2 (175,000 miles in total on the car), with apparantly no ill effects....however I wouldn´t assume that there is such headroom in the duty cycle of all engines...after all stronger engines weigh more and all manufacturers are trying to keep weight down in the interests of economy. Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #86957 Sun Feb 25 2007 10:31am
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Simon,

I have increased peak power with an additional 48bhp @ 4900 rpm and and an aditional 65Nm torque also @ 4900 rpm

I also managed to achieve an additional 25Nm torque @ 1500 rpm

And yes, a pulley change is wothwhile but the gains are limited by the standard ecu software settings.

And yes, an good exhaust systme with sport 'free flow' catalytic convertors would be the 'icing on the cake'

Smile Chips with everything

Post #86960 Sun Feb 25 2007 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12