RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Coming to Scotland for a break?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Coming to Scotland for a break?

If you happen to be coming up to these parts and would like somewhere nice (it isn't a hotel!) to stay then I can recommend this family-run establishment which is situated about 100ft from the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond about 11 miles west of where I live

http://www.oak-tree-inn.co.uk

It isn't quite to the same standard as this place...............
http://www.gleneagles.com which is about 45 minutes drive away in the other direction. But if you are really lucky you might arrive on the same day as LR are doing a press day and then the car parks are filled with all sorts of exotic Range Rovers and RRS's. I arrived there for afternoon tea 3 years ago to find 100 L322 Range Rovers parked in the carparks being launched to the dealers and their very best customers! LR use the Sutherland Estates way up at Cape Wrath for their press launches, but if you fancy an offroad adventure there the estate is happy to give Land Rover owners permission to explore their land.
Of course if you are feeling very very flash you could always go and stay here http://www.information-britain.co.uk/showPlace.cfm?Place_ID=19743
where they have their own Land Rover Experience that is free for residents to use and you can drive any model for the range on the Hotel's own land..... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #7299 Wed Dec 07 2005 10:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Isn't Skibo Castle where Madonna & Guy Ritchie got married? I stayed in a hotel called the Cameron House on the banks of Loch Lomond once, that was pretty nice. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #7367 Thu Dec 08 2005 2:37pm
keith

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Hi Shmoogle,

Cameron House Hotel is great. Stayed there a few times.

You can rent their time share villas for 3/4/5/6/7 days. During the winter months you can get a 4 bed villa for 3 nights for about £350. You then have the use of all the hotel's facilities and restaurants.

It's a good base for seeing some of Scotland's best bits.

Keith 4.4HSE Buckingham Blue
Alpaca Premium Leather, Rhodium
Dynamic Pack, PTI

Post #7371 Thu Dec 08 2005 3:08pm
Tim in Scotland

And Skibo is where the stars all go for their hols in Scotland........ that's why LR set up a "private" LR Experience there, it helps sell the stars nice cars!
And Cameron House is about 15 miles from me, and as Keith says it is really good value for money at this time of year - especially as the views out over Loch Lomond can be more spectacular in the winter than in the summer, and it is really peaceful and tranquil despite being on Glasgow's back doorstep. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #7375 Thu Dec 08 2005 3:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Once spent an amazing long weekend at Loch Rannoch, used to have an old 3.0 litre capri then Embarassed , but it was so good on the Scottish country roads.
Also spent a few nights in an HGV cab at Faslane Submarine base. Locked the doors then (you know what thay say about royal navy boys) Laughing Laughing Laughing Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #7435 Thu Dec 08 2005 6:53pm
Tim in Scotland

Biggles wrote:
Also spent a few nights in an HGV cab at Faslane Submarine base. Locked the doors then (you know what thay say about royal navy boys) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aye, especially if they have just come back from 9 week patrol without seeing the light of day!
Have you yet driven the "new" road over Glen Fruin Stu? The MOD built it for the rebuilding of the base and were supposed to then destroy it and leave no signs that there had been a road there in the first place. It cost £100,000,000 to build too, £40,000,000 just to buy the land from the Duke who owned the estate that it passes through. It was so good and fantastically fast that when the public got to use it one winter when the other route was closed by bad weathere, all the NIMBY's and anti road folks complained that it was a waste to rip it all up, so now it is the best road from the west side of Loch Lomond through to Garelochhead/ Faslane.
Mind you at this time of year the road from Balloch to Tarbert is a cracking road to go for a blast on - 26 miles of 3 lanes wide A road with lovely sweeping bends ................. and no speed cameras and very little traffic, but stupendous views across the Loch to Ben Lomond. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #7442 Thu Dec 08 2005 7:05pm
Biggles

England 

Tim if the road you mean is the little single track type road over the moor tops then yes I have. Can't recall the name it was about twelve years ago but remeber seeing no other traffic on it and feeling as though you were being watched. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #7443 Thu Dec 08 2005 7:09pm
Tim in Scotland

No that's the old road and I know exactly what you mean about being watched when you drove it, the road I described has replaced that road. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #7447 Thu Dec 08 2005 7:24pm
Biggles

England 

How long ago did it get replaced, and does the new road follow the same route. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #7483 Thu Dec 08 2005 10:26pm
Tim in Scotland

It was built when the MOD built the covered dockyard at the base. It follows the same Glen but runs much higher up on the north side of the valley and has some amazing dips and climbs on it, but is also a very fast stretch of road.

Here is an OS map showing the new road (A817) in red and the old road that you drove in yellow. It doesn't want to post as an MS word docment so here is a link to the file in my gallery.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10015/map.doc 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #7496 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1