Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Alarm system - for insurance purpose
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Chappylad

United Kingdom 
Alarm system - for insurance purpose

Hello All,

I have just been notified by my insurer that they insist that i have a tracker device fitted into a RRS 2.7TDI HSE, in order to get a cheaper insurance.

What sort of alarm such as RAC Trakstar/Cobra, is best?

Any suggestions? Anyone who have a tracker device, please share with us.

Thanks

Post #7462 Thu Dec 08 2005 7:48pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Change your insurer to Land Rover Insurance - they don't require Trackers and the cover is very good covering you for all the things a Land Rover is supposed to do like go offroad etc I am paying just under £400 pa for offroad use, offroad recovery, cover of trailers and contents, cover of roofrack and contents, unlimited hifi, unlimited continental use, new for broken one in first year etc. plus a heap of other things. You can get details from any Land Rover Dealer. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #7463 Thu Dec 08 2005 7:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
insurance

give ASDA a look online, they are new to the insurance game, and are very very competive, and use Norwich Union. no tracker required at all

Post #7464 Thu Dec 08 2005 8:02pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

im with Direct Line, due to my age, there are limited providers who will give a decent quotation, found direct line to be one of these few providers..
but they required a tracker system. Mine already had a tracker horizon fitted as standard from the dealership (being a demo) so was at no cost to me, plus i already had an account on my old car which had a tracking device, so it just cost me £30 to transfer the account to the new car and carry on with my old annual payment.

Post #7468 Thu Dec 08 2005 8:42pm
nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Norwich Union Direct are very good and do not require a tracker if the value is under £50K . Its easy to get a quote on line.

Post #7471 Thu Dec 08 2005 8:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Most of these companies will give you a great price, but if you ever intend to go into the country you will not be covered from the minute you leave an A or B road - that is where the insurance companies reckon that the highway ends and you have gone offroad these days. Even driving on tarred, unclassified roads is now counted as offroading by many insurers (things are tight with them these days they are down to their last bilions so they look for the least excuse not to pay out on a claim).
As soon as you ask any of the "Direct" type companies for offroad cover, they run away and will either quote you £1000's a year or just plain refuse you cover, so make sure before you accept a quote that it is clear with the insurer where the highway ends and the offroading starts. That is why I recommend folks with Land Rovers that they might take onto a playing field, showground or even a caravan/camping site to take LR's own in house cover.
This is a problem that many 4x4 owners have experienced and lots of insurers just will not quote for an SUV/ Land Rover type vehicle now. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #7491 Thu Dec 08 2005 10:24pm
nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Tim I totally agree with what you are saying , but it is down to personal preference at the end of the day. Landrover Insurance I think is run by Royal Sun Alliance , they also do insurance for other manufacturers.

Post #7492 Thu Dec 08 2005 10:34pm
Tim in Scotland

Yes it is a Royal and Sun Alliance scheme. And I accept that 95% of RRS owners are unlikely to get anywhere near an unclassified road or a field in their car! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #7494 Thu Dec 08 2005 11:05pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Trackers have been discussed before - do a search.

I had an RAC TrackStar in our Merc ML as the insurance company (Tesco) insisted on a tracker. However, they never pay for themselves. This time (with the RRS) I searched (use www.confused.com) for an insurance company that didn't require one. Only cost £375 per annum with MoreThan. I'm happier to pay £30-£50 per year more on the insurance than paying £500 on a tracker. I also didn't want to take the RRS apart! Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #7509 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:45am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I took quotes from everywhere.

Land Rover insurance was £1000 more than my best quote, needless to say I did not use them.

Direct Line will not insure me for a car over £50K

Sainsburys were the cheapest by far (6 points and 1 claim, 30 yrs old, car value £59K) and they insisted on a Tracker.

RAC Trackstar was the cheapest version, they all do the same thing, I got mine done for £350 fitted. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #7547 Fri Dec 09 2005 10:24am
Tim in Scotland

Interesting - Confused.com will not give me quotes because of my job and because my named driver is over 75! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #7551 Fri Dec 09 2005 10:50am
Chappylad

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys for useful information.

Managed to get esure to insure me for £507.00 which isn't too bad, considering that I am 32 years old, 8 years no claim bonus, no accidents for the last 10 years and finally, I got one SP30 on my licence!

Very Happy

Post #7714 Mon Dec 12 2005 12:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1