RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Essential viewing in January and March
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Essential viewing in January and March

Some of you already know that I am about to "go off air" for a spell as I have to earn a crust now and again and be able to afford to keep the Defender and the Sport in the manner to which they are accustomed Laughing
I will be joining a ship called the Shenzhen Bay in South Korea shortly and then sailing for Shanghai, Shekou, Hong Kong, Panama Canal, New York/ New Jersey, Norfolk (Va) then back through Panama to Pusan and start all over again. The round trip Pusan to Pusan takes 8 weeks and I expect to be onboard until early March. Just incase any of you might be interested, you can follow my progress across the Pacific Ocean and through the canal on my employer's website at http://www.ponl.com/topic/home_page/langua...rplefinder
You can also find the schedule for the ship elsewhere on the website in the Vessel Locator part of the drop down menus along the home page header.
Just be warned though that the map with all the ship icons on it can take a while to download on a dial-up connection. Each green or white icon is a ship and if you click on it you will get it's name, the course and speed and the nearest piece of land's name. Currently (on the evening of the 8th) Shenzhen Bay is to the east of Japan headed for the Tsuraga Strait between Honshu and Hokkaido.

If you are even more interested and would like to see what the ship looks like you could go to a search engine and find a photo on the net or you could wait until we transit the Panama Canal on the 6th January, 18th January or the 3rd March. These dates are fairly accurate as the company schedules are made 12 months in advance and barring bad weather we can gereally stick to the schedule. On the 6th January we will be transiting Panama from south to north so you should watch the Miraflores, then Centennial Bridge then Gatun Locks webcams, usually we start a transit about 7am(Panama Time, about 1200/1300 GMT) but that can vary a lot. I will send either Biggles or Martin an email with the schedule for our transit times if I can on the day.
The Panama Canal webcams are loctated at and you can select whichever one you want to view . Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks are on the Pacific side of Lake Gatun and possibly the best view of the ship is from the webcam on the Centennial Bridge. Gatun Locks are on the Atlantic end of the canal and that webcam has a relatively narrow field of view. Some of the guys on here watched us go through when i was away on my last ship. http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

If anybody wants to email me on board and ask questions etc then please feel free - Martin, RRUK, Biggles and MDP have my email address on the ship and I'm sure they would oblige by sending it to you by a PM. [/url] 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Dec 08 2005 6:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7404 Thu Dec 08 2005 5:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Tim - have a safe trip, a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7406 Thu Dec 08 2005 5:41pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Wow, what a trip! When will you be going off-air? Ditto VA's comments... and see you in 2006! Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #7409 Thu Dec 08 2005 5:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Friday night will be my last look-in here! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #7411 Thu Dec 08 2005 5:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Any chance of some duty free? Razz Maybe a RRS import Cool 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7414 Thu Dec 08 2005 5:57pm
Tim in Scotland

Only if it will fit in the overhead locker Laughing 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #7421 Thu Dec 08 2005 6:06pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

So this is HOME for the next few months Tim

Enjoy the trip , have yourself a great xmas and new year.

" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #7425 Thu Dec 08 2005 6:20pm
Tim in Scotland

That's the one - it's the 5th voyage I done on her since she was launched in 1994. She was one of the biggest containerships in the world when she was launched, with a container capacity of 4500 x 20foot containers but now she rates as a coastal feedership as we are now building ships of 10,000 x 20 foot containers that are not much longer but are 50% wider. These monsters are too wide to fit through the locks in the Panama Canal so they cannot be used on "round the world" services.
She is also one of 9 sisters of that class that we operate and is the same as my last one - Singapore Bay 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #7429 Thu Dec 08 2005 6:34pm
Biggles

England 

Tim,
Safe journey, Hope the seas stay calm this time round, will have a baileys with ice for you at Chritsmas and New Years eve.
Will keep in touch through the e-mails. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #7431 Thu Dec 08 2005 6:39pm
Tim in Scotland

Cheers guys, maybe one of these days I'll get a ship that calls at Southampton and you can all come down, take a look round the ship and then go and look at the RRS's all parked in the mutlistorey export park down the road.
Oh and don't believe the cruise guides that tell you the Pacific Ocean is all blue skies and pretty gilrs in grass skirts............ the bits I see are anything but blue and tranquil, and I've yet to see a suntanned girl in a grass skirt waving at me from a dugout canoe! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Dec 08 2005 8:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7449 Thu Dec 08 2005 7:33pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
Tims trip

enjoy the trip Tim, and have a great Xmas and New Year,
maybe on your return, you could borrow the firms boat/ship for a weekend, so we could have a big RRS meet !!!!!!!! Good Luck Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #7461 Thu Dec 08 2005 8:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1