RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Porsche Cayman - not a good investment for spectulators
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Porsche Cayman - not a good investment for spectulators

Pity all those who have bought them specualtively........................ according to Autocar this week "the anticipated boom in demand for the Porsche Cayman S has failed to materialise and there are more sellers than buyers. The chances of picking up new Cayman at list price via a cancelled order at a Porsche main dealer is therefore very high" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Teach the greedy so and so's a lesson! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #7090 Tue Dec 06 2005 6:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yeah, I saw that... I'm not sure what Porsche were trying to do with the Cayman. Don't see why the gap between Boxster and 911 needs to be filled to be honest, so why spend billions developing a car that does? They should have funnelled all that research budget into the Panamera to get that into production sooner rather than later. A different product is always going to pick up better than something than halfway exists already. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #7095 Tue Dec 06 2005 6:08pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Half the problem is that so many if not toooooo many people are now jumping on the band-wagon of getting their name down on a pre order list , simply to sell on their place in the Queue at a later date. This has been bought about due to manufacturers bringing out new cars/models at such a fast rate. The general public see it as a good speculation to put down £1k ....wait 4,5,6 or 7 months and get £5k - £10k depending on model instant proffit.

SHhhhh...... dont tell everyone Shocked 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #7108 Tue Dec 06 2005 6:15pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

shmoogle wrote:
Yeah, I saw that... I'm not sure what Porsche were trying to do with the Cayman. Don't see why the gap between Boxster and 911 needs to be filled to be honest, so why spend billions developing a car that does? They should have funnelled all that research budget into the Panamera to get that into production sooner rather than later. A different product is always going to pick up better than something than halfway exists already.

One could be cynical & say a marketting ploy to tempt people into a 911, after all if your going to consider spending 55k for a decent spec Cayman, why not go the whole hog and get a proper new Porsche?? But who would buy a Cayman when for the same money you can get into a 911 with less than 10k on the clock in just about any spec you like? Maybe not a turbo but certainly a 4S or even GT2 or GT3. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #7110 Tue Dec 06 2005 6:17pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

I agree re pricing strategy. They hadn't thought it through. 

Post #7118 Tue Dec 06 2005 6:24pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Porsche are all about marketting & pricing strategy, they don;t get it wrong often. Funnily enough the 911's are actually cheaper to build than the Caymans. The 911's are just scarily profitable for them. And some of the depreciation makes Jag's look good. 2 years ago a GT2 would set you back around £125-130k, today you can probably pick one up for around £65-60k. Add to that the problems Porsche have had with reliabilty on some components and you would wonder how they keep such a high reputation. Just think if Landrovers had a congenital defect that meant the engines had a propensity to blow just out of warranty leaving owners with a £12k engine rebuild bill or if Landrover marketted a key component with a promise of a 100k mile life & said component wore out after 10k miles necessitating replacement at around £10k????

Hmmmm..... HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #7126 Tue Dec 06 2005 6:35pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

I must admit, i am one of these caniving profit seekers, i have my name down for the new E90 M3 for 2007, although im only half a profit seeker as i'll probably end up keeping it!

Used to be the same with property, my father and his partners used to book brand new apartments and just wait for them to finish and all sell, and then remarket them for 15-20k premium and sell them within a week..
shame every man and his dog started doing it, meaning there are now more private boards up then the own builders boards meaning they actually drop in value making vendors compete for the same limited customers!

Post #7128 Tue Dec 06 2005 6:40pm
Pelyma

England 

Rob_J wrote:
shmoogle wrote:

One could be cynical & say a marketting ploy to tempt people into a 911, after all if your going to consider spending 55k for a decent spec Cayman, why not go the whole hog and get a proper new Porsche?? But who would buy a Cayman when for the same money you can get into a 911 with less than 10k on the clock in just about any spec you like? Maybe not a turbo but certainly a 4S or even GT2 or GT3.

Isn't that the basis behind RRS? Get a younger customer into the brand and then sell them a RR next time round.

Post #7181 Tue Dec 06 2005 10:25pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

If it is, it hasn't worked on me... I'm really happy with the driving dynamic of the RRS and if I moved to an RR I wouldn't get that. I can't imagine never wanting a car that isn't exciting to drive... maybe that will change as I get (even) older. 

Post #7246 Wed Dec 07 2005 3:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1