RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 19" Wheels - balancing weights in or out?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
19" Wheels - balancing weights in or out?

Just got the RRS back from the tyre place and I was disappointed to see that they had installed the balancing weights on the outside of the rim (clamped) as opposed to having them inside, held in place with adhesive as they are on the Stormers (and the Volvo).

When I called to complain - they told me that this type of wheel always has them fitted on the outside. As my car was delivered with Stormers - I don't know if this is the case when for these wheels when fitted from the factory.

If you've got the 19" wheels as stock, could you tell me if they came with the weights in our out? 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #66138 Mon Nov 13 2006 4:11pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I remember when we went to the factory they said to us then that the factory had taken to putting them on the outside with clamps as there had been lots of complaints about wheel shimmy..................... when they investigated they found a heap of wheel balance weights laying at the end of the production line lying on the floor! Seems the sticky isn't strong enough! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #66139 Mon Nov 13 2006 4:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Singletrack

Thanks Tim - that pretty much jives with what the owner of the tyre shop told me. I just hate those clamped on weights...but it's just for wintertime anyway. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #66143 Mon Nov 13 2006 4:23pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Most of the 19" rims I have seen around here have the unsightly clamp-on weights, but my original OEMs came with stick-ons... I know they MUST now use stick-on balancing weights inside the rim to avoid possible chafing of the weights against the brake line (there was actually a recall issued for this a few months back, affecting all cars with 19" rims and non-Brembo brakes.) 

Post #66147 Mon Nov 13 2006 4:34pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I also heard that they use clamp on weights as these don't come off when off-roading......but then I doubt if this is the reason. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #66148 Mon Nov 13 2006 4:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

From experience you get heaps of added balance weights when you offroad, comes in the form of mud and it can be a Censored to get off from the inside of the rim without taking the wheels off! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #66149 Mon Nov 13 2006 4:53pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

In my limited experience on this subject i thought the newer 19's had stick on weights and the older ones clamp on - in searching ebay I have seen both for sale but more without than with (I thought). Also wasn't there a bulletin related to weights and wheels and catching in the access mode or was this a diferent weight related issue (didn't pay that much attn).

I am on a 55 plate and have stick on weights - out of sight.

Post #66153 Mon Nov 13 2006 5:08pm
Tim in Scotland

My 18"'s have stick on weights, but one of the rear ones has been replaced twice! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #66157 Mon Nov 13 2006 5:43pm
Singletrack

Found it! Thanks MAW Very Happy and Umberto (twice in one day!)

VA posted this some time ago - clamp on weights MUST NOT be used on the 19" wheels

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10090/LR003.pdf

I'll inform my Tyre lady tomorrow and get them replaced and re-balanced. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #66161 Mon Nov 13 2006 6:27pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

I thought I had posted this pdf a while back... Recall RB039 (basically the same Q&A posted by VA, plus technical instructions for the dealer):

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...recall.pdf

Note how adamant Land Rover is in asking its dealers to replace inner clip-on weights ONLY with stick-ons... That means that, in theory, any clip-on weights positioned on the outer rim - the eyesores you want to get rid of - will likely stay where they are, if the dealer performs the recall to the letter. But, it's worth a shot especially if the tyre shop is not reading the recall in its entirety and/or if you just show them VA's letter! Smile 

Post #66188 Mon Nov 13 2006 11:10pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I hope there is no rim damage from the clip on weights.

Post #66205 Tue Nov 14 2006 9:08am
easauto

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black
WHEEL WEIGHTS

YOU MAY BALANCE YOUR TIRES ON THE INSIDE ONLY WITH TAPE ON WEIGHTS, OR YOU MAY BALANCE ON THE OUTSIDE WITH CLIP ON WEIGHTS. A LOT OF IT IS PREFERENCE AND LOOKS. I JUST RECENTLY REPLACED MY CONTIS WITH THE MICHELIN LATITUDES AT 30K AND USED TAPE ONS IN THE INSIDE AND THEY RIDE LIKE A DREAM. HOPE THAT HELPS.

Post #66992 Mon Nov 20 2006 12:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1