RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Why do some folks debadge their cars ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

smudge

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Why do some folks debadge their cars ?

I've seena couple of RRS's now with no back badges stating the model. Not sure why people do this - someone please enlighten me ?

Is it a case of just taking the badge off by pulling hard Smile or are they stuck on by more than glue ?

Post #5979 Sat Nov 26 2005 8:10pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
re de badging

You have been reading my mind, over this, a pal of mine has just bought a top of range saab, and had it de badged, and my neighbour has a new bmw x5 also debadged. I have asked them why, and the response was a negative I thought it would be nice without badges !!!!. was a article in this forum from a member in the usa who removed his badges with dental floss.but in a similar context why do people put s/c grills and badges onto ther tdv6

Post #5980 Sat Nov 26 2005 8:48pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't know why folks with top of the range models de-badge them either, but also why when you have the 1.0l 4 cylinder version of a car would you want everybody to think yours was the V12 10l model, the other differences give the game away.
There is a young lad living in the village here who has a bottom of the range BMW Coupe, a 316 I think. He has spent a fortune trying to make it look like an M3 - fancy wing mirrors, huge wheels, spoilers etc but hasn't bothered to invest in the smart leather interior or the 4 tailpipes. With all the money he has spent on the fancy bits he would have been able to afford a half decent more powerful model, and I bet his insurance company doesn't know that he has "modified" it to make it look like a more stealable version.

My Sport is a TDv6 SE - it says so on the rear hatch, but the dealer supplied it on launch day with the Supercharged front grille at no cost to me because he thought it looked better and as it didn't cost me any extra I sure wasn't going to pay for a matt grey grille to replace it. Anyway there are numerous other clues for anoraks to tell it isn't a supercharged or even a 4.4V8 version, and I doubt that 99% of the general public wouldn't even know or care either. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5982 Sat Nov 26 2005 9:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Smudge, having just been quoted for paint repairs to the rear hatch of my Sport by the local LR dealer, the job they quoted included replacing the Sport SE badges (which wasn't necessary to do the job as it was on the other side of the hatch!) I can tell you that each letter is individually stuck on with heavy duty double sided sticky tape, They should be pretty easy to get off! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5996 Sun Nov 27 2005 10:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I agree about the badges but as Tim says I think the sports grill and side vents look so much better. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #6000 Sun Nov 27 2005 12:39pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

There's a few reasons why people do it:

1. A cleaner look to the rear
2. Ashamed of a low spec model!
3. Want to hide the fact they have a top spec model to prevent theft/damage by vandals etc
4. Wanting people to think that because it IS debadged, it must be a high spec model when it's not. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6014 Sun Nov 27 2005 6:20pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

It was always an option with Audis - but I could never understand why people did it - till I did it myself Embarassed When I had the 1st 2.4 cabriolet it was impossible to tell mine apart from the top spec [at that time] - 3.0l cabriolet , so , I had it debadged Embarassed Embarassed

Another reason? Back to the days of my Sunbeam Lotus , I can remember seeing one completely resprayed & debadged to make it look like any other unsuspecting Talbot Sunbeam - this was obviously to keep a low profile.

But I suspect with LR's its probably just personal taste ? 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #6022 Sun Nov 27 2005 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1