RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 15K Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green
15K Service

I've scheduled my 15K service for next week, in addition to the service I intend to have my winter tires installed. I've been told that there is a very specific proceess for balancing tires on the RRS. It seems that there may have been an oversite in the design with regard to the clearance between the brake caliper and the wheel. I would like to be well prepared for this visit. That said, is there any additional information out there on this?

Thanks in advance...

Post #58645 Fri Sep 29 2006 2:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Davis - What size wheels do you have? Are they 20"? I'm riding on 20" Stormers right now but have a set of 19" OEM wheels on which I plan to mount winter tyres - so I'm interested in the issue you've raised. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #58646 Fri Sep 29 2006 5:16am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Davis, you must be referring to recall B039, the clip-on balance weights issue that came out at the end of May. It only affects vehicles with stock 19" rims and regular (non Brembo) brakes. Here is copy of it: http://rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpi...recall.pdf
If your car is affected, the recall will be performed automatically when you check in for service, whether you need winter tires or not on your 19"ers.

There is also this recently released service bulletin for North America (and perhaps elsewhere), somewhat related and that may help those experiencing steering vibrations at speed. Land Rover blames tyre flat-spotting and recommends a very specific rebalancing procedure and equipment to fix the problem. Here is text of the extremely technical (aka f**king boring) bulletin, if you care. TSB # LS204-009 dated September 12, 2006:

Quote:

SECTION: 204-04 WHEELS AND TIRES
Steering Wheel Vibration
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: ALL
CONDITION SUMMARY:
TIRE FLAT-SPOTTING RESULTS IN STEERING VIBRATION
Situation: This bulletin addresses concerns of a steering wheel vibration/steering shimmy identified on the initial vehicle preparation road test or from a customer complaint. Tire flat-spots are a likely cause.
Action: Carry out the Repair Procedure to correctly diagnose tire flat-spots and wheel balancing requirements.
PARTS:
Locally sourced adhesive wheel weights as required
TOOLS:
Hunter 9700/9712 wheel balance machine
To ensure that the wheel/tire assembly is balanced correctly, Land Rover recommends the use of a five fingered clamp to support the wheel and tire assembly on the balance machine. (Figure 1)
Haweka 9700 hub to wheel adapter (Figure 2)

REPAIR PROCEDURE
VEHICLE PREPARATION STEPS
NOTE: Step 1 of the procedure is part of the Vehicle Preparation process. No claim should be initiated if the performance of this step at initial vehicle preparation resolves the concern.
NOTE: Until flat-spots are removed, significant shimmy may be present, even if the car has only stood overnight. A test drive is required to ensure temporary tire flat spots are removed. For longer term flat-spots, a longer drive may be required. The test drive should be carried out on normal open roads to allow the highest speed that speed limits and road/traffic conditions allow.
1. If the vehicle is undergoing initial vehicle preparation, perform the following as part of the test drive:
• Refer to the Vehicle Preparation Manual and adjust the tire pressures to the recommended cold tire pressures.
• Drive the vehicle for at least 15km (10 miles) before attempting to assess shimmy.
• Assess the level of wheel vibration.
2. If a customer complaint is being resolved, perform the following:
• Adjust the tire pressures to the recommended cold tire pressures.
• Drive the vehicle for at least 15km (10 miles) before attempting to assess shimmy.
• Assess the level of wheel vibration.
3. If the level of steering vibration is considered acceptable, no further action is required.
4. If the levels of vibration remain unacceptable, perform the "Balance Wheels" section below.

BALANCE WHEELS AS REQUIRED
1. Raise vehicle on the lift immediately on returning to the workshop, to avoid inducing further tire flat spots.
2. Remove all four road wheel and tire assemblies for balancing.
3. Inflate each tire to 2.5bar (36lbf/in²) +/- 0.1bar (1lbf/in²).
CAUTION: All 19 and 20 inch wheels used on Range Rover Sport vehicles must be balanced with adhesive balance weights in all locations whenever balancing is performed. 9J x 19 alloy wheel requiring balancing must only be fitted with adhesive balance weights on the inner surface of the wheel. Other types of weights will cause damage to the vehicle. Refer to Technical Bulletin RB039.
NOTE: For adhesive weights, use the attachment arm on the Hunter machine to ensure accurate weight positioning.
4. Refer to Figures 3, 4 and 5 for correct wheel fitting attachment to the balance machine and balance road wheel and tire assemblies until the residual imbalance dynamic is minimized.
• Target is 0g on each plane, maximum is inner 5g, outer 5g.
• Use the 'bulls-eye' balancing mode to minimize residual imbalance.
5. If tire road force variations (RFV) measuring is available, the road wheel and tire assembly should aim for a maximum of 60 Newton (6.1 kgf / 13.4 lbf) first harmonic RFV, 100 Newton (10.2 kgf / 22.5 lbf) peak-to-peak.
6. If these levels cannot be achieved, perform the following:
• Remove the tire.
• Follow the match mounting procedure as detailed by the Hunter machine.
• Mark the high point of 1st harmonic RFV on the tire (ideally also mark on the inside too, as a future reference).
• Install the lowest 1st harmonic RFV units to the front.
• Print out the results of balance and force variation before and after, and attach to repair order.
NOTE: If RFV equipment is not available and the tire has not been removed from the wheel and the RFV spot (red dot) is still visible this, should be installed at the top.
7. The high-point of RFV should be marked, and the road wheel and tire assembly installed to the vehicle with the RFV high point at the top, prior to the wheels being tightened. (Figure 6)
NOTE: Nothing should be used to brace the wheel while tightening the nuts as this can disturb the match mounting.
8. Install all four road wheel and tire assemblies.
9. Tighten wheel nuts to 140Nm (103 lbf ft).
10. Lower the vehicle onto the lift.
11. Restore tire pressures to the recommended settings.
12. Drive the vehicle for approximately 7km (5 miles) carried out on normal roads and up to speeds of approximately 80 km/h (50 mph) to verify correction of steering vibration.

Still awake? Wink I have PDF w/ pictures on file, PM me your email address if you need a copy of it. 

Post #58648 Fri Sep 29 2006 5:47am
DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green

Singletrack, my tire/wheel combination is 19" I use the Conti's in the summer and install Pirelli's for the winter.

Umbertob, thanks for the DETAILED response, the flat spotting problem is a real pain in the ass! I can't imagine a tire shop being either capable or for that matter interested in following LR's procedure.

Based on the complexity of this issue, which has too many moving parts, I feel LR should balance "our" tires at no charge!?

Post #58723 Fri Sep 29 2006 2:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1