Post #58054 Wed Sep 27 2006 9:15am
Ronnie in the Midlands

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Cliff,
What Zaino do you recommend? New RRS

Post #58093 Wed Sep 27 2006 10:01am
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

If I may...Ronnie - my RRS is Java and I use Z2 Pro (did not bother with Z1 this time around), wash with Z7 and QD with Z6. I also use Z-PC on my other car (black XC90) for cleaning the paint and removing small swirls. I also use ZFX to accelerate the drying of the Z2 when applied as I do this outdoors.

The Range Rover has beautiful paint and comes out with a deep, wet looking shine when polished with Zaino. I'm very pleased with it.

I also use the Zaino clay bar for light scratches but have not had any on the RRS...so far. The other advice is to use 100% cotton towels - buy the best quality you can, never wash with fabric softener and don't use a dryer softener either.

The car should always be washed in the direction of the airflow. This is particularly important on a black car. When you wash the car, you inevitably make very fine scratches in the paint (an unfortunate and unavoidable consequence of moving small bits of dirt and grit around) by always going with the airflow, you keep these scratches in alignment which avoid the "starburst" effect in bright sunlight which black cars are prone to.

A good forum for auto detailing is autopia.org... 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #58127 Wed Sep 27 2006 11:20am
Ronnie in the Midlands

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Singletrack, thanks for the info. Just so I have it straight some questions?

(1) I have used Meguiars gold class polish and it's got that starburst appearance you describe. Would I be ok to use the Z2 Pro to improve the appearance.

(2) I have been using microfibre cloths for polishing, what is the difference between this and a 100% cotton towel and where would you recommend buying 100% cotton towels from for the best quality?

Thanks New RRS

Post #58146 Wed Sep 27 2006 12:27pm
Singletrack

Hi Ronnie,

I have used Z5 to remove fine swirls and scratches - the product is now called Z5 PRO (don't know why they added "PRO" to all their product names...) - if you follow the Zaino instructions, you'll apply Z5, let it dry, polish off (fortunately, Zaino products are very easy to remove) then apply Z6, before applying another coat of Z5 or finishing with Z2 if you are pleased with the results. If you already have another product or wax on the car you first must wash/strip it off by washing the car with regular houseold dish soap (you know, like Ainsley What's His Name flogs on TV) then you can begin applying the Z products.

Can't tell in the UK where to buy 100% cotton towels. I bought De Wit Litaer towels which are made in Belgium but which, as a hotelier, I know as makers of fine table linens. 100% cotton towels are expensive - get the "hand towel" size and then remove the labels (which are not cotton) so these do not scratch the finish. When you wash them (and wash before using), add a little white vinegar to the wash water (you can mix it with the liquid soap) as this helps dissolve the Zaino products on used towels.

Use these to dry the car as well as polish.

My wife jokes that my favourite question when buying something is "do you have it in black" so I'm pretty obsessive about my black cars... Embarassed

Some people swear by microfibre but I find that it traps dirt and debris and goes to hell when washed. I do all kinds of work around the house so my hands tend to be rather rough...microfibre towels seem to catch on my hands which irritates me. Also, I find you need a good sized towel for polishing and I find the bulk of cotton terry cloth makes it easier. Just personal preference I guess...but Zaino strongly recommend the 100% towel (in fact they insist over and over on AMERICAN cotton...but that's just jingoism to me... Rolling Eyes )

Hope this helps. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #58149 Wed Sep 27 2006 12:44pm
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

Ditto what singletrack says but emphasize the importance of stripping off the old wax first.
The Zaino distributor I use in the USA has gone over to using microfibre cloths and says that Mr Zaino is now fine with that also.
I have always used microfibre as trying to get decent towells here is a nightmare.
I would also get some Grande Finale spray, just gives black that finishing touch Wink and also helps keep the shine for even longer.

Post #58152 Wed Sep 27 2006 12:56pm
Singletrack

I think I'm going to give the "Grande Finale" a try Very Happy

BTW - I've been using a German based distributor for the products - Cliff - we should compare like for like by PM to see it's better to buy in the US and ship overseas or get if from this German guy... 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #58164 Wed Sep 27 2006 1:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456