RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Finance & Insurance > Warranty Direct Extended Warranty - Opinions Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
Warranty Direct Extended Warranty - Opinions Please

I own a 2013 RRS L320 SDV6 with 48,000 miles. The 2 year Land Rover Approved Used warranty will expire in June 2019 and I am looking to secure a 3 year extended warranty. The car has been 100% reliable for the past 2 years and has not missed a beat during that time. I use the RRS mainly as a weekend car and cover about 6,000 miles a year with breakdown recovery arranged through my car insurance. I have use of another car so a loan car during any repairs is not essential to me.

I am concerned about being hit with the dreaded crank shaft issue and Warranty Direct appear to have a good reputation on this forum so I obtained a quotation for a 3 year extended warranty, £100 excess, uncapped labour rate and 0% contribution to parts. Here is the breakdown of costs for 3 years:

Engine, Gearbox, Transmission, ECU's and Turbos £865

Air Con, Heating, Electrics, Fuel System and Ignition System £600

Air bags, Brakes, Steering and Suspension £985

CATS & DPF £165

Multimedia £95

I can select any combination of the above options to be covered by the extended warranty.

My dilemma is, do I insure just the engine, gearbox, transmission, ECU's and turbos for 3 years at a cost of £865 (which seems reasonable at only £288 per year) and keep a repair fund for other possible repairs or do I go the whole hog and fork out £2710 (£903 per year) for complete protection and peace of mind?

I have been quoted £1360 to extend the Land Rover Warranty for a further 12 months (the equivalent of £4080 for 3 years) but there still seems to be some doubt whether Land Rover will accept a snapped crank claim. Warranty Direct appear to cover the crank issue but I have not seen anyone post on the forum with a successful snapped crank claim against Warranty Direct?

From info on the forum it would appear that the high cost repair items are the crank, turbos, diff, suspension and dynamic response system (ARC). Not seen many comments about high cost repairs to the ignition system, fuel system, multimedia, Cats, DPF or gearbox?

I know that the subject of extended warranties has been widely covered previously both on this forum and the Disco3 forum but I am very interested in your thoughts, comments or advice Thumbs Up

Thanks, Steve

Post #577522 Wed Mar 20 2019 11:42pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I just renewed with WD and, using their new policy methodology which I like, simply excluded electrics & multimedia but kept the rest. Engine, turbo and suspension are my main concerns.

WD cover wear & tear. My understanding is LR do not. Wear & tear is the main way for an insurer to wriggle out of a claim, so I have never seen the value in expensive and inferior LR warranties, personally. I am happy to hear the counter argument.

I have never had a WD claim rejected.

Downside for WD is they do not yet cover hybrid drivetrains... but apparently they’re working on it. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #577606 Fri Mar 22 2019 5:58am
Evo5man

Hi Ilard,

Thank you for your response, I have a very similar philospy to you, insure the engine and suspension and take a risk with the electrics and multimedia.

I did speak to WD about engine components like the starter motor and alternator and I was advised that these were covered under the electrics section and not the engine section. WD also advised that the air con compressor is not covered under the engine section but under the electrics section. I am now wondering if the suspension air pump and suspension electrical components like sensors may also be covered under electrics and not the suspension section? There does not appear to be a comprehensive list from WD on what is covered and under what section, which gives them ‘wriggle room’ when it comes to a claim!

It is encouraging to hear that you have never had a claim rejected Thumbs Up

My remaining concern is that if I do not insure all sections WD will try and reject a claim by saying the fault is covered by a section that I have not insured. For example an engine sensor fault is covered under electrics and not engine?

Maybe forum members with first-hand experience of WD claims like yourself will respond to this thread?

Thanks again for your input Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #577614 Fri Mar 22 2019 8:43am
ilard

United Kingdom 

For an extra £200 per annum, including the electrics is probably a good idea.

In my case I plan to upgrade before warranty renewal in March 2020, so I am feeling less risk averse. For a 3 year deal, the full monty would be reassuring, thinking about it. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #577616 Fri Mar 22 2019 9:00am
Evo5man

I think you are probably right about covering all the major items, engine, turbos, gearbox, transmission, suspension, brakes and electrics.

I have just asked WD to confirm the following questions in an email so I have it in writing for any future claim:

1. The engine has electrical components attached such as a starter motor, alternator, sensors and electronically operated valves, etc. Are these components covered under the Core Engine Cover or the additional Core Plus Electrics Cover option?

2. The suspension (covered under the additional Safety System Protection option) has an electric air compressor and many electrical sensors to raise and lower the vehicle's suspension. Are these components covered under the additional Safety Systems Protection option for suspension or the additional Core Plus Electrics Cover option?

3. The braking system includes an electronic handbrake. Is this covered under the additional Safety Systems Protection option for the braking system or the additional Core Plus Electrics Cover option?

I will post on here the response from WD to assist other forum members looking at WD extended warranty options Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #577628 Fri Mar 22 2019 11:33am
Evo5man

As a follow-up to my previous post, here is the response from WD:

In regards to your engine question I have just checked with the claims department for you and they have confirmed that these components starter motor, alternator, and electronically operated valves would be covered under the engine on the core product.

In regards to sensors as you are probably aware there are various different sensors for a multiple number of different things so for example sensors that are part of the engine for example oxygen sensors would be cover under the engine on the core product.
For example things like fuel sensors although related to the engine would be covered under the fuel system as part of the core plus add on.

In regards to the safety systems protection and the suspension this includes all suspension components including electric air compressor, electrical sensors for the suspension components etc. So it is all suspension components except wheels and tyres.

In regards to the safety systems protection and the braking systems this includes braking system except drums. disks, pads and shoes so yes electric hand brake cables would be cover under the braking system on the safety systems protection.

The above info is different from what I was told over the phone but as the above response has come from the WD Claims Dept I would go with this info Thumbs Up

So it seems that any electrical components associated with the engine, gearbox, transmission, suspension or brakes are covered by the relevant WD option selected without adding the Core Plus add on to cover the associated electrics.

This has helped me to understand what is covered by each option and hopefully others will find it helpful too Thumbs Up

Post #577633 Fri Mar 22 2019 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1