RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Raod speed noise can not diagnose? Not prop center bearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Wangie46

United Kingdom 
Raod speed noise can not diagnose? Not prop center bearing

Guys any ideas, I have this sound best way to discribe is a Wouring sound similar to a worn bearing that speeds up with road speed,it can only be heard in the cab when all windows are closed, when you open them to try and see what side it comes from you cannot hear it, I’ve replaced rear prop as thought it may be center bearing but no still there, I’ve had it up in the air and there is no play or roughness on any of the wheel bearings and no play on the diff input bearings or the transfer box out put, sound is still present regardless of turning right or left and is also there when letting it coast in neutral, really stumped with this one?

Post #577379 Tue Mar 19 2019 5:17pm
PC76

United Kingdom 

the only thing i can stab a guess at is an old door seal? hence why you don't hear it once a window is open......

thought i would have a guess lol but i bet the tail is somewhere near the donkeys head Rolling with laughter

Post #577383 Tue Mar 19 2019 5:46pm
Ptang

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Hey Wangie,

I've got exactly the same. It's all quiet to about 15mph when a rumble kicks in. Downhill in neutral the rumble is still there. I've sat in each of the seats and think it's from the rear somewhere. Like you, my prop shaft was nearly new (24 months) and fine when I nipped under the car at the weekend to check bearing etc.

Not had the car up in the air yet, but I was thinking maybe a rim had thrown its balance weights or a wheel bearing or worse the rear-diff. Diff looks clean but I don't think it's had the fluid changed since new (14 years ~ 130k miles). Saw a video for the Disco3 that made it look quite easy...

'tang.

Post #583363 Mon Jul 01 2019 12:43pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Check your tyres for feathering,,run your hand round the edge of the tyre inner & outer & if it is going up & down on the tread that is the problem,,ive had loads of folk come in to my place saying they have a wheel bearing gone & its been a tyre,usually on the rear. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #583365 Mon Jul 01 2019 2:45pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

+1^^^

and, you might try and see if it varies with power on and power off (e.g. load and over-run) might point to pinion bearing. Also check for variation between LH and RH corners.

Then...
You're the into all driveline mountings etc transmitting the noise to the cabin, harmonic damper mountings

Post #583386 Mon Jul 01 2019 8:14pm
Ptang

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Well, I seem to have three out of four tyres that have varying degrees of feathering (very light on one rear, middling on both fronts) on the outside edge. So that might indicate a misalignment which annoys me somewhat...

I had a four wheel laser alignment at the last service just under a year ago - how likely would it be that a main dealer would cock that up? Nothing else was highlighted with suspension/roll-bars etc in the inspection so could it be that it drifted that much in such a short space of time?

So I think I'm looking at a minimum of a new set of tyres, re-balance and a proper alignment... might take it to the Indie in Knockholt (Kent) for a once over...

'tang.

Post #583390 Mon Jul 01 2019 8:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1