RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Wiring dash cam L494
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Just looking at my pics Andy and it looks like I've got yellow wired to permanent live (the horn) and therefore red wired to my switched fuse.
I'll just pop outside and check... Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577241 Sun Mar 17 2019 4:53pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Yours is a L320 eaters so will be different Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #577243 Sun Mar 17 2019 4:57pm
Eaters

Ah yes, but I thought you were referring to the wiring colours on the dashcam wiring (rather that LR wiring) so I thought they be the same?

If I'm right then yes mine is wired with yellow to permanent live and red to switched.

Also this:

You'll need 2 fuse-taps for the red and yellow wire. The black wire is for ground and must've come with a ring terminal (Spanner connection).

Red - ACC - look for a fuse that's powered on ignition.
Yellow - Battery - always powered.
Black - Ground.

from https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/thin...ire.21956/

Hope this helps Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577244 Sun Mar 17 2019 5:07pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

This is how I wired mine to my L494 using overhead switch panel

Just did this & thought it may be of help to others.The best & neatest place to connect up to is inside the overhead interior light console (no unsightly wires)
To remove the console, unclip it from side furthest away from the windscreen. Use a thin wide bladed implement. I used a cake slice which is ideal. Slide it in between the headlining & the silver outer ring of the console. There are 2 clips about 2"in from the edge. Slide in your weapon of choice (not a screwdriver) & prise against the console. When it starts to open up slide in a dinner knife (very technical) & hold it in this position, do not force it. Put the "cake slice" in the other side & prise it forward while keeping the dinner knife in position. This side then springs off the clips & you can then just swing the console down. It will hang suspended from the internal wiring. I left it partially hinged at the front to keep the load off the wiring. The hardwire kit I had consisted of a 90 degree usb which was permanently connected to a small control box. Think its a voltage regulator.( Get a 90 degree usb as its a lot tidier when connected to the camera)
On the Range Rover there is a hole about 0.5" diameter in the headlining adjacent to the windscreen. They think of everything. Poke a length of cable thro this hole & it will appear between a slot in the internal plastic moulding. This moulding is held by 2 round yellow clips, which do not have to be disturbed but lets you see where the slot is. You may have to try this a few times, but dont give up. Took me about 5 mins. When the wire appears grab it with long nose pliers & pull it thro. Attach this wire to the usb with insulating tape securely then pull it back out. I inserted a wide screwdriver blade into the slot to open it up so that the usb could get thro as it a tight fit. You wont break anything.. Once the usb is thro, undo the wire & leave it dangling for now.
Inside the console there is a convenient depression that the " voltage regulator" can sit in. There is a multiplug on the right hand side of the console. The wire you need is the last one on the right" brown/green" power. This connects to the red wire from the voltage regulator. I used a scotchlock connector. The wires are very thin so I was concerned they may be cut thro when connecting them, so my local car accessory shop had red ones rather than the usual blue ones. They were a bit smaller for the wire diameter & were ideal.
Note:- When connected to this wire the camera starts as soon as you open the car door. When you stop & lock the car it goes off. If you dont lock the car, which I dont when its in the garage. The unit stays on for a few minutes, then it goes to sleep, but not long enough to worry about battery drain or any other concern. Thought I would just mention this.
There is a handy screw inside the console for an earth. This is for a Torx screwdriver to slacken. Connect the black wire to this. I used a spade connector but you could just wind it under the screw head, but ensure you have a good connection. I then plugged in the camera to see it was working. Tidy up the wiring then re-attach the console. It just clips into place.
I then thought about the camera position a I did not want to remove it when leaving the car. I attached the mount to the black area on the windscreen but not too far in as if you do this the camera picks up the black area. This is where to 90 degree usb is worth having as its very compact. Hope this long read helps. Will try to upload a couple of photos but they are not very good, thats why the descripition is thorough

Post #577245 Sun Mar 17 2019 5:09pm
Tyrefitter

Thanks for that eaters,,I’ve also just found this & even though it’s a 2016 & the fuse box looks a different layout to mine I’m going to try the fuses he mentions when I get time,,for now Im just using cig lighter socket
 Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #577246 Sun Mar 17 2019 5:11pm
Eaters

Looking good Andy. Thumbs Up Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577248 Sun Mar 17 2019 5:24pm
Eaters

Lindab wrote:
This is how I wired mine to my L494 using overhead switch panel

Just did this & thought it may be of help to others.The best & neatest place to connect up to is inside the overhead interior light console (no unsightly wires)
To remove the console, unclip it from side furthest away from the windscreen. Use a thin wide bladed implement. I used a cake slice which is ideal. Slide it in between the headlining & the silver outer ring of the console. There are 2 clips about 2"in from the edge. Slide in your weapon of choice (not a screwdriver) & prise against the console. When it starts to open up slide in a dinner knife (very technical) & hold it in this position, do not force it. Put the "cake slice" in the other side & prise it forward while keeping the dinner knife in position. This side then springs off the clips & you can then just swing the console down. It will hang suspended from the internal wiring. I left it partially hinged at the front to keep the load off the wiring. The hardwire kit I had consisted of a 90 degree usb which was permanently connected to a small control box. Think its a voltage regulator.( Get a 90 degree usb as its a lot tidier when connected to the camera)
On the Range Rover there is a hole about 0.5" diameter in the headlining adjacent to the windscreen. They think of everything. Poke a length of cable thro this hole & it will appear between a slot in the internal plastic moulding. This moulding is held by 2 round yellow clips, which do not have to be disturbed but lets you see where the slot is. You may have to try this a few times, but dont give up. Took me about 5 mins. When the wire appears grab it with long nose pliers & pull it thro. Attach this wire to the usb with insulating tape securely then pull it back out. I inserted a wide screwdriver blade into the slot to open it up so that the usb could get thro as it a tight fit. You wont break anything.. Once the usb is thro, undo the wire & leave it dangling for now.
Inside the console there is a convenient depression that the " voltage regulator" can sit in. There is a multiplug on the right hand side of the console. The wire you need is the last one on the right" brown/green" power. This connects to the red wire from the voltage regulator. I used a scotchlock connector. The wires are very thin so I was concerned they may be cut thro when connecting them, so my local car accessory shop had red ones rather than the usual blue ones. They were a bit smaller for the wire diameter & were ideal.
Note:- When connected to this wire the camera starts as soon as you open the car door. When you stop & lock the car it goes off. If you dont lock the car, which I dont when its in the garage. The unit stays on for a few minutes, then it goes to sleep, but not long enough to worry about battery drain or any other concern. Thought I would just mention this.
There is a handy screw inside the console for an earth. This is for a Torx screwdriver to slacken. Connect the black wire to this. I used a spade connector but you could just wind it under the screw head, but ensure you have a good connection. I then plugged in the camera to see it was working. Tidy up the wiring then re-attach the console. It just clips into place.
I then thought about the camera position a I did not want to remove it when leaving the car. I attached the mount to the black area on the windscreen but not too far in as if you do this the camera picks up the black area. This is where to 90 degree usb is worth having as its very compact. Hope this long read helps. Will try to upload a couple of photos but they are not very good, thats why the descripition is thorough

Look like a neat alternative Linab. Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577249 Sun Mar 17 2019 5:26pm
IainM58

Scotland 

I bought some of these and piggy backed it on to the cigarette light fuse
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circuit-P...194c66b844

Post #577271 Sun Mar 17 2019 8:38pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Tyrefitter wrote:
Well I’ve tried wiring it your way col & when I’ve turned the ignition off & waited a few minutes till everything goes off the camera still stays on,,also I’m guessing the red is permanent live & yellow is ignition.Ive even tried a few different fuses but still not right.

Andy I think Eaters is right you have the wires round the wrong way, Yellow is Permanent Live, Red Aux. the Green and Brown wire mentioned in the overhead console is actualy Fuse 57 in the fusebox.

Click image to enlarge

Cheers
Col

Post #577274 Sun Mar 17 2019 9:24pm
Tyrefitter

Did they change the type of windscreen in the my15 as my dashcam connects to gps writhing a minute now but in both my14 RRS’s it would sometimes take a hour plus before it would connect.Before anyone asks yes it is a original Landrover screen as it says so in the bottom left as your looking out of the window. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #577587 Thu Mar 21 2019 7:31pm
Eaters

On my 2008, it take about 30 seconds normally. Very occasionally it takes a coupe of minutes. Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577612 Fri Mar 22 2019 6:54am
Tyrefitter

Well folks I’ve just hardwired my thinkware 770 into my15 l494 & followed this guys instructions & all is good,,ive also got the rear camera in & the only wires visible are where the boot lid opens as I don’t want to drill holes in the rear plastic section
 Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #577691 Sat Mar 23 2019 2:46pm
Eaters

Nice one Andy - well done Thumbs Up Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577692 Sat Mar 23 2019 3:05pm
Mister B

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Hey Tyrefitter
Great Vid

Still deliberating over mine but having watched yours a couple of questions come to mind

How easy was it to fit and hide the wires from the rear camera ? (i assume they must connect with the front one )

And as you have wired to come on/off with ignition does that mean there is no "parking mode" ?

Ta

Post #577801 Mon Mar 25 2019 11:57am
Tyrefitter

Ive wired it as the guy has in the video & I have parking mode,,about 3 minute after ive turned ignition off it says now in parking mode. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino