RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Looking to buy a Euro 6 Model SDV6 - what to look for?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rangersport

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Looking to buy a Euro 6 Model SDV6 - what to look for?

Somewhat out of touch on the RRS scene.

I aim to buy a car soon. I had started by looking at 2014 models, basic HSE at around early £30ks...now have convinced myself that it would be better to spend the money on a car I really want. Have seen one 65 registration (so benefits from EU 6 engine) very low mileage, Autobiography in Carpathian.

Anything I need to look out for? I noticed some notes on the car dealer sheet which said:

OPEN FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS:
Gateway module stay awake - battery drain
Diesel exhaust fluid quality warning
Air suspension compression software
Independent oil dilution counter reset
Service warning message not displayed service reset not working

I am not sure what all this means! Or indeed what an open field service action is!

Any advice?

Post #576911 Tue Mar 12 2019 4:32pm
Punkawallah

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Adriatic Blue

Hi - there are loads of almost identical posts to your one - do a forum search and you'll find answers to "Anything I need to look out for?" on an L494 SDV6 as people won't want to repeat themselves once again.

Not sure about the notes but am sure someone will help, especially if you post this in the L494 section Thumbs Up

Post #576939 Wed Mar 13 2019 11:46am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Open field service action - recommended actions from JLR that have not been carried out when they should be. Is the seller a JLR dealership as those comments suggest that the car has had its servicing schedule neglected if it is out of warranty and being sold outside the dealer network, walk away before spending money on it. Not good if the car is also an SDv6............ no up to date service is a guaranteed rejection of repairs should the crank snap 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #576941 Wed Mar 13 2019 11:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rangersport

Thank you for the reply.

It is an Approved main dealer in London. So yes, a little surprising that it has been neglected.
Not sure if that means I should just walk away. It will be sold with a 2 year warranty, so I thought I am covered for any eventuality. But just reading a few things on this forum are scaring me, meaning I may stick to getting a Merc GLE!

Post #576951 Wed Mar 13 2019 3:25pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Register with TOPIx and download it’s service history. Probably need it’s VIN Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #576954 Wed Mar 13 2019 4:39pm
Tim in Scotland

Approved used warranty will not cover a snapped crank as it is a JLR built-in design fault and specifically excluded, however I know several people who have bought SDv6 powered used RRS and Discovery4 in the mast 12 months and have it in writing from the dealer principal that in the unlikely event of a snapped crank that the dealership will replace the engine at no cost to the buyer. My own SDv6 HSE D was a fantastic car, well built and a paint defect Sadie was perfect. I never had oil dilution problems because the car was not used much for town stop/start driving and regularly did properly long drives fully warmed up and if any DPF regerations did occur I never knew about them happening. I didn’t stay with JLR because new prices for the same model had increased out of all line with my earnings over the same time, no cover for a snapped crank on a car only serviced by JLR dealers as it had the service contract and had 2 years of it still to run and also my 2 alternatives from JLR - the I-Pace and the RRS PHEV - took way longer to be launched and then had a heap of issues when they were for my confidence. After 30 years of buying new or ex demo Land Rover products I was saddned to leave the brand as I have only owned one problem car out if 11 new cars purchased, I think a change of marque has been good for me but I still want to get back into RRS ownership, just they now are way way over priced and their attitude to long standing customers stinks. You could use the fact that there are outstanding service items on the car as a bargaining point or insist that they are fixed before you take the car. Remember the choice if used faultless RRS is huge, loads more to look at and they aren’t shifting off firecourts anywhere near as fast as dealers would like due to their insistence on asking OTT prices 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #576957 Wed Mar 13 2019 4:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

rangersport wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

It is an Approved main dealer in London. So yes, a little surprising that it has been neglected.

There are lots of RRS available. Buy the best you can. If you can't afford the best, buy something else i.e. not RRS. These things will eat money, given the chance.

If you must have an RRS, buy one that has been looked after for many years, with a full history and lots of receipts. That means an earlier one but hen at least you get a decent vehicle with less chance of big bills for a much smaller sticker price.

Or buy a newer one which hasn't been looked as it's been on a PCP. Then, when it goes bang in expensive ways, expect us to say "told you so".

These things need TLC. Buy cheaper than year and you will regret it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #576970 Wed Mar 13 2019 10:57pm
rangersport

HA - 'buy cheaper'...not quite what I was planning.

The car is just over £48k. So to me anyway, it is not cheap at all! Trying to go for the best I can.

I would have assumed buying from a LR dealer with the warranty and guarantee of proper history etc would mean the car is up to scratch. From what I am reading above, the opinion is perhaps that is not the case.

I am not trying to buy cheap, I am trying to buy right. Still cannot comprehend how a LR warranty would not respond if the engine pops! That is just ludicrous.

Think I am getting reminders of my short LR ownership years ago, and being swayed to put my money elsewhere!!

Post #576974 Thu Mar 14 2019 7:22am
Tim in Scotland

The used warranty isn’t a JLR warranty it is like an insurance policy provided by an outside 3rd party branded as Land Rover and it has a specific exclusion of design faults and JLR has stated that the issue of snapping cranks on a few cars has been as a result of a design fault...... result is no warranty cover for the engine!
RRS is a superb car, but it is a luxury car and commands luxury car prices for purchase and for parts, and JLR knows how to double/triple/quadruple ordinary parts prices by sticking an oval stamp with Land Rover in it on everything.
What we are saying is by all means go for an RRS but be aware that many people sell them on because they either are not prepared to pay huge servicing and parts costs or to maintain properly what are extremely complex machines - you cannot run any Land Rover product on a tight budget. There are plenty of excellent, reliable ,well looked after cars out there, if you come across one that has any sort of question mark over its history walk away as there are plenty of good ones to chose from, just that they command higher prices. Any Land Rover product is only being sold at any sort of discount because the dealer/owner has questions over its history........
It isn’t just snapping cranks to be aware of - alcoholic addiction to Adblu in some cars built after 2016 is a big issue and oil dilution in others is another problem that seems to effect post 2016 cars. The Adblu and oil dilution issues don’t just effect Land Rover products - some of the most popular luxury German brands have the same issues with their Diesel engines. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #576980 Thu Mar 14 2019 9:27am
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

Excellent analysis Tim! It is addicting, but not a car for the faint hearted as somebody wrote. RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #576988 Thu Mar 14 2019 10:20am
rangersport

Thank you all. Agree, nice analysis there Tim.

I maintain my cars well and spend the money needed. But as with anybody else, you wouldn't want to knowingly get yourself into a money pit.

Given the maintenance record of this one is showing open items, also it should have been MOTd in September 2018 - but to date still has not had any MOT, is giving me some worry! It is not cheaper than others out there, what attracts me to it is that it has the options I wanted, e.g. AHBA and Blind Spot.

Post #577004 Thu Mar 14 2019 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1