RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Dash Cams
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

SRE

Spain 

Thinkware has battery monitoring built in + fixed speed camera warnings. Thumbs Up In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #576689 Fri Mar 08 2019 9:36am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Not suprising they are steering you to a battery pack if it adds a few hundred pounds to the bill or maybe I'm being cynical, never had a flat battery with a dashcam yet.

Cheers
Col

Post #576691 Fri Mar 08 2019 9:46am
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I've had a cheapo chinese dashcam (clips over mirror) for about 18 months now, 30 quid job off fleabay, front and rear cams. Does audio as well. Hard wired it myself it is very easy. Never had any battery issues. It powers on and off with the car or if car touched parked up (has a g sensor) runs for 5 mins then off again. The power supply issue or extra battery stuff is bull. The cam really is no different than any other hard wired accessory, eg stereo, amps, and so on.

Post #576727 Sat Mar 09 2019 9:43am
Mister B

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

That's good to know, thanks for posting FatherJack

perhaps the battery drain isn't so big an issue , particularly as nobody has said they've had probs so i think i can ignore that bit now.

Having watched some reviews on youtube, saw one that said the rear fixing pulled the tint off the rear window Big Cry , anyone have any experience of that

Leaning towards Blackvue

Post #576733 Sat Mar 09 2019 12:29pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I had the Blackvue with the power magic box hard wired in, never had any battery problems. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #576743 Sat Mar 09 2019 3:48pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Had a Thinkware 770 double camera for a couple of years now which I hardwired in myself. I set the battery protector at 12V so that when the voltage drops below that the camera switches itself off. I'm probably being a bit safe here as I think if I went for 11.5V or even less it would probably still be fine.

For me the best points are:
- Safety Camera warning built in
- quality of picture even at night - don't forget that when you really need it, you don't want to be snookered by poor picture quality
Bad points
- warnings for mobile speed camera zones - it will keep on about them, even when you are not exceeding speed limit, every 10 seconds or so all the while you are in the zone which can start to drive you mad

I'd probably buy another if needed in say a new or another car but would have a good look around first. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #576814 Sun Mar 10 2019 2:27pm
LeeRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Siberian Silver

Blackvue are the daddies in the dashcam game. I have Nextbase front and rear, easy to install and does the job. I will never be without a dashcam, it's already saved me once. A driver reversed in to me and tried to say I hit him, without the dashcam I'd have no chance. 2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6
2011 VW Golf 1.4 TSI Blue
2001 Yamaha YZFR1 Blue, my pride and joy
2007 Subaru Impreza STI 300 BHP Gone and missed

Post #576821 Sun Mar 10 2019 5:25pm
SRE

Spain 

Had Blackvue, failed due to high temps. Now with Thinkware. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #576843 Mon Mar 11 2019 8:44am
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

Does anyone have any pictures of the dash cams installed? I have a 2018 RRS and would like a dash cam but don't want to spoil the look of the cabin with any aftermarket dash cam.

Post #576852 Mon Mar 11 2019 1:11pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I'm not aware how the 2018 car might differ around windscreen design but there are quite a lot of photos etc littered around this forum for you to review and, as a start, here are few photos of mine.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic45687-15.html

Don't take much notice of the rear cam as I have now moved it to the bottom of the rear screen - much neater cabling and it is now within the sweep of the rear wiper.

And whilst I wired this in myself, I recall that many have commented on a number of professional installers who have done a good job to keep it neat. Perhaps finding one local to you and asking to see their work??

One other thought - on my list of good and bad for the Thinkware, I didn't mention that it would be even better if the control buttons on the front camera were illuminated (they could just be small LEDs) as they are not easy to find when looking at the box from inside the car with the daylight behind. You don't need them very often but it would be so much easier if, when you did need them, you didn't have to peer at the black on black writing to recall which button does what. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #576862 Mon Mar 11 2019 3:37pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Father Jack wrote:
I've had a cheapo chinese dashcam (clips over mirror) for about 18 months now, 30 quid job off fleabay, front and rear cams. Does audio as well. Hard wired it myself it is very easy. Never had any battery issues. It powers on and off with the car or if car touched parked up (has a g sensor) runs for 5 mins then off again. The power supply issue or extra battery stuff is bull. The cam really is no different than any other hard wired accessory, eg stereo, amps, and so on.

Same here Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #576864 Mon Mar 11 2019 4:19pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Sorry, deleted as posted twice 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #576865 Mon Mar 11 2019 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12