Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Volvo XC90 T8 Hybrid - Review Added
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks all. Missed a couple of things so have added above but here also:

Quote:
Another feature I really like is the ability to control the front passenger seat using the driver’s seat controls. You can go into the centre console screen and select an option to tell the car you want to control the front passenger seat. Now fiddling with the driver’s seat buttons moves the corresponding components of the passenger seat instead of driver’s seat! Sure you can use memory seat options to save the settings for regular users of the car and then it is a simple press of a button but last week I picked up someone and they needed to move the passenger seat because my wife likes to keep the seat way forward as she is short. I didn’t need to give them instructions on which buttons to push and pull in the dark. I didn’t need to get out of the car and go to the other side to adjust the seat for them. Just put it in that mode and used the buttons on mine. Everything is computerised so I don’t think this feature would have required any extra hardware or huge amounts of effort. Just some clever thought and common sense.

and

Quote:
Queue assist also works better. As soon as my RRS came to a complete stop, the cruise/queue assist system needed driver input (accelerator) to get the car going again no matter how short the pause was. Volvo’s system has some tolerance built into it in that if the pause is very brief, the car automatically starts moving forwards when the car ahead has moved. If the stop is a bit longer (I haven’t yet worked out how many seconds), then it needs the driver to step on the pedal so as not to surprise them. The software guys have obviously put some thought into this.
 Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #575377 Sat Feb 16 2019 5:19pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Quote:
I spec’d up an RRS AB (with extras on top) to bring it as close as possible to my XC90 Inscription Pro (also with extras on top) before ordering and it was around £26k-£27k more.

That's a ridiculous amount of money! Even if the RRS was better in every respect, that price difference is difficult to swallow. When the Volvo is better in some areas, the money is indefensible.

Indeed it is a lot of money. I’ll put the numbers out there rather than be vague about it. My T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with a good few optional extras came up to just over £69k after discount. The Autobiography Dynamic PHEV with a similar spec/options list hit close to £105k on the configurator before any discount. Of course RRS had things like low range gearbox and other off-road goodies that I didn’t need but I couldn’t have taken those off the spec as they come as standard with AB Dyn.

Add to that the highly competitive Volvo finance rate of 2.52% compared to LR’s 5.9% or so. I tried Oracle and Magnitude for finance and they struggled to match Volvo’s rates, let alone beat them. In the end both gave up and wished me good luck saying they couldn’t compete Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #575378 Sat Feb 16 2019 5:35pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

When you consider that both have the same size of engine and similar PHEV systems there is basically a £30,000 price difference in favour of the Volvo if no discount is taken into account. The extra ability of the RRS with a transfer gear box and low ratios doesn’t add £30,000 worth of value either. I find it very hard to see what there is in any JLR product today that justifies prices in excess of £70,000 let alone £100,000. For sure the “buying experience” doesn’t match up to what is expected when purchasing such an expensive product and neither does the after sales treatment customers receive.
I have been reading about the new Kia E-Niro BEV, costing £30,000........... comes with 100,000 miles/ 7 years warranty as standard, the most honest actual/ claimed electric range of any BEV and comes with the usual excellent build quality of Korean made cars. If JLR offered that sort of warranty they would quickly go bust........ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #575383 Sat Feb 16 2019 6:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Tim we know what makes up the price difference. It is the perceived status and it is no different to any other luxury product both within and outside the auto industry. I just hope Volvo and other high quality manufacturers continue to be considered non-premium and never enter that ‘league’ Laughing

I am still in the honeymoon period but will share any problems I encounter during my ownership. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #575400 Sat Feb 16 2019 8:22pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Whilst not wishing to defend RR pricing I believe you can get a well specced HSE phev for just under £80k before discount which compares well with the top of the range Volvo. In my opinion the Autobiography is an over specified money maker with many extras that are not needed or ever used. A friend in the manufacturing part of the business, although in the USA, advises to never go near the top of the range models.

I do rather like the look of the Volvo though.

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #575407 Sat Feb 16 2019 9:02pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Interesting ... I will play with the configurator when I have some time. Curious to see how HSE compares to Inscription Pro now because the latter has certain things that I wanted that were optional extras even on Autobiography last time I checked (July last year). Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #575410 Sat Feb 16 2019 9:13pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The thing that annoys me is the price LR charge for items that can be had on "ordinary" cars for a fraction of the option price. Adaptive Cruise Control is, what?, £1500 from LR but can be had on a Skoda for about £400.

No doubt both manufacturers will use the same kit by Bosch or whoever it is that makes these things.

Timed climate (or whatever it's called these days, is a grand. Funny that you can add it on your driveway for a fraction of that.

What is daft is that the RRS can be had with no low range - indeed if you buy the 2.0 HSE you can't specify low range at all. So £65k for a basic RRS with no toys, no low range, reduced towing capability. £65k! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #575416 Sat Feb 16 2019 11:39pm
SRE

Spain 

Volvo looks pretty good to me.

Better put my tin hat on first.
I was going to say how cheap the Range Rovers are Whistle
Log onto Jaguar or Land Rover Spain and spec up a vehicle....my F Pace was cira €60k Big Cry That was with my discount. Embarassed

https://www.jaguar.es/jaguar-range/f-pace/...gKeF_D_BwE In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #575453 Sun Feb 17 2019 4:20pm
PIG88

United Kingdom 

There are some interesting discounts around in the UK at present. Buyacar.co.uk shows £58,994 today for a new RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE (plus circa £640 for the off-road pack with low range etc). Some decent discounts on the Volvo too (which does look very nice). Current: 2020 P400e HSE Dynamic

Gone: 2016 SDV6 HSE
2012 SDV6 SE

Post #575458 Sun Feb 17 2019 5:45pm
SRE

Spain 

Begs the question, how much knowledge/expertise did Volvo glean from their partnership with Land Rover a few years back when they were all part of The Premier Automotive Group (PAG) owned by Ford. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #575475 Mon Feb 18 2019 8:52am
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The thing that annoys me is the price LR charge for items that can be had on "ordinary" cars for a fraction of the option price. Adaptive Cruise Control is, what?, £1500 from LR but can be had on a Skoda for about £400.

I know its not an apples for apples comparison, but the price for upgrades on the Velar and Evoque is half that for the RRS and RR which really grates me for some reason. Especially on big ones like ACC and Meridian Signature, etc.

With that being said, fkarim as you know I've jumped into an XC60 T8 (Inscription Pro) with a few toys and the Polestar software upgrade (recommended).

I agree with a lot of what you've said, I was a loyal JLR customer for a long time, but the overcharging and the arrogance in their products (which wasn't valid) was what personally pushed me to look elsewhere. There's only so many times you can pay nearly six figure prices for a car that is built worse than something a third of the cost, depreciates like a tank and has very patchy aftersales support (barring the guys at Grange in Woodford who salvaged my faith in the JLR dealership network).

I do personally think that the RRS & Velar look better than the XC60 and XC90, but again design is subjective, I do think the new V60 is the best car Volvo have ever designed though so they're going in the right direction.

The lack of a 6 cylinder engine grates me a bit but I guess that's just the way the world is going.

Overall I'm really happy with my move and that's before we even look at the economics of the purchase price and the ongoing costs.

Post #576202 Sat Mar 02 2019 2:49pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Fkarim, I am close to deciding on a XC90 Inscription Pro T8 and wondered if you could do me a favour?

Could you measure the height from the ground to the boot floor when the car is at it's lowest setting?

I have "seen" Dangermouse on the Volvo forum, are you lurking there as well? Laughing 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #577811 Mon Mar 25 2019 3:21pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Hi jimbg. Sure, I will measure it when I get home tonight. Yes, I am on one of the Volvo forums but I hardly visit it. Certainly not as much as I (still) come to this forum! Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #577814 Mon Mar 25 2019 3:30pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Really nice car. I am going to be looking at them. I better hurry as Volvo are restricting the top speed of all their cars to 112mph from 2020. Seems crazy as I am sure it hurts just the same crashing at 112 as opposed to the current 132mph.
Probably a money saving exercise as lower rated tyres are cheaper, but if Volvo start this it won't be long until they are all doing it & no I do not drive at 132mph, usually about 125mph Rolling with laughter Whistle

Post #577815 Mon Mar 25 2019 3:46pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

fkarim wrote:
Hi jimbg. Sure, I will measure it when I get home tonight. Yes, I am on one of the Volvo forums but I hardly visit it. Certainly not as much as I (still) come to this forum!

That would be great, I beleive it is a lot lower than the 80 cms on the Discovery.

I presume that even on the 21" wheels it is still a fairly quiet car?

Cheers
Jim 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #577824 Mon Mar 25 2019 4:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>