RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > AFS Lighting problem raises its head
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

mossberg

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Disco_mikey, do you still have the driver's side for sale ?

Post #547899 Tue Feb 06 2018 6:20pm
dashingdave

England 

I find that turning the headlight switch to automatic BEFORE firing up makes them dance every time. You can buy s/h known good ones to replace the metal box thing on back of headlight. That worked for me too. Dave

Post #574971 Sun Feb 10 2019 7:19pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

So are you saying Dave, that you can replace just part of the headlight and solve the problem? Can you help a bit more with what bit you are referring to?

Update on my issues is that I'm still just about living with it - nearly 3 years now! It still occasionally does malfunction but one or two restarts normally resolves it. If it doesn't fix it straight away then the next time I use the car it seems to have fixed itself. Really strange. And its not the end of the world (nearside light pointing down is not dangerous to others but is annoying for me) except that my MOT is due soon and if it plays up during the test then I'll have a problem.

Regarding the "dance", I can't work out when it does it and when it doesn't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've tries the start up with Auto selected but still find that sometimes it dances and sometimes it doesn't! Does anyone on here know what the original programming is for the "dance" - when it should happen and when not? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #574998 Mon Feb 11 2019 7:30am
dashingdave

England 

Hmmm, I could have written that reply myself. Exactly what I go through and I too have an mot coming up. The auto option works for me or the ignition off to reset also works. The part screwed on the back is available on eBay, about the size of an old match box and plugs in. I may be getting out of my depth here so don't want to give you a bum steer as the Americans would say. I've lived with it and other odd elements for years but still love the machine and a recent change to silicon pipes on the inter cooler feels like it's added another cylinder. Dave

Post #575002 Mon Feb 11 2019 9:37am
Eaters

Hmm. I might have answered my own question. From the workshop manual:
"
Initialisation Procedure
When the AFS control module receives an ignition on signal, the control module performs the initialisation procedure which ensures that the headlamps are correctly aligned on both their vertical and horizontal axes.
The headlamp leveling initialisation takes less than 3 seconds to complete. The headlamp leveling motors are powered from their current position, which can be either the upper or lower limit or somewhere in between, to their lower position and then back to the 0 degrees position.
The AFS swivel initialisation starts less than 1 second after the headlamp leveling initialisation is activated to ensure that the headlamps are at or below the 0 degree position in the vertical axis, thus preventing glare to oncoming vehicles. The AFS swivel initialisation is completed in less than 2.5 seconds. The LH and RH AFS actuator motors are powered from the 0 degree position to their fully inboard position, then to their fully outboard position and then back to the 0 degree position."

And:
"Xenon Headlamp Assembly with AFS Construction
The AFS xenon headlamp construction is similar to the non-AFS xenon headlamp assembly. The AFS assembly contains an additional carrier frame which provides the location for the AFS actuators. The remaining lamps are as described previously for the xenon headlamp assembly. The functionality of the static bending lamp on the AFS headlamp is different from the functionality of the cornering lamp on the xenon headlamp.
The carrier frame is attached to the AFS vertical actuator. The projector module has a central pivot point which allows the module to move horizontally in response to operation of the AFS horizontal actuator.
The AFS actuators are bi-polar (2 phase) dc stepper motors which are driven by a power output from the AFS power module. Each stepper motor receives its position information from the AFS control module via the applicable AFS power module. When the actuators are powered to their requested positions, a holding current is applied to maintain the actuator position.
The actuators do not supply a positional feedback signal to the AFS control module. Each stepper motor requires referencing each time the AFS system becomes active. When the AFS system is active, each vertical actuator is driven in the low beam position and each horizontal actuator is driven to an inboard position until a mechanical stop in the actuator is reached. Once the stop is reached a step counter in the AFS control module is set to zero and the actuator is then powered to the operating position as determined by the AFS control module software.
The AFS control module receives front and rear suspension height data to provide dynamic headlamp leveling adjustment via the vertical actuator motor. The AFS control module also receives vehicle speed signals from the ABS module to adjust the projector module vertically to increase the beam range as the vehicle speed increases."
So bearing in mind that the headlamps take information from a number of modules (speed, Steering, Suspension) there are many areas where the fault could be manifesting itself. Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #575009 Mon Feb 11 2019 12:01pm
Eaters

The benefits of a really good indy!
Car went in for it MoT. It failed on the headlight (cos it was pointing down) but instead of issuing a fail certificate they fiddled around with it and got it to perform correctly once. So MoT pass was issued!
Good Indy worth their weight in gold! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #575289 Fri Feb 15 2019 9:22am
RainHard

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Alaska White

Col wrote:
I don't suppose by any chance the internal part of the lamp has become disengaged as they are only on a plastic ball and cup, if you take the rear bulb cover off check to see if the reflector part is loose these can be re-engaged if it has. It is only a though as have seen it happen.

Cheers
Col

This worked for me tonight - took the back cover off the light (was the LHS) and pushed the square "electrical box" forward and wiggled it left to right. Bingo - sits perfect again. I suspect I may have dislodged it as i was on some VERY rough tracks for many KMs - even cracked a rim! Cooper AT3 XLT 275/55 R20s really do it for me (with a little bit of rubbing Smile!

Post #624716 Thu Jun 09 2022 7:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123