Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Wading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Autobiography1969

England 
Wading

Just been watching vids of different Land Rovers & Range Rovers
Wading through water of different depths..

So what is the safe height for wading in a L320 RRS??

I guess its got to be on High setting for the suspension..

Just thinking out loud.
but if anyone knows.. ===========================================
2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Indus Silver with Hockenheim premium two-tone leather Ebony/Lunar,

Post #573993 Mon Jan 28 2019 12:15am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Standard ride height 600mm, Off Road ride height 700mm according to the Handbook.

Cheers
Col

Post #573994 Mon Jan 28 2019 12:23am
Autobiography1969

England 

So about 2-2.5 ft high then,,

I thought it would have been much deeper than that.. ===========================================

Post #573995 Mon Jan 28 2019 12:32am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Even with an LR raised intake the wading depth doesn’t increase.............. because in standard form their Raised Air Intake doesn’t have waterproof seals anywhere on it - ie it is just what they say it is - a raised air intake - it is not a snorkel. There are aftermarket RAI’s that are though, just I‘ve never seen one for the L320 RRS............ Disco1 and 2, Defender but never for RRS. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #573997 Mon Jan 28 2019 6:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The problem is that if you go much deeper than 700mm, the rear starts to float. If you're in water and you get the dash warning about extended suspension mode, then you're at your limit. Any deeper and you're in danger of floating away.

As Tim says, the RAI isn't waterproof from the factory although people have modified the intake route to make it waterproof from the top of the RAI to the air filter box itself. The air filter box has drain valves at the bottom of it so that if you get a small amount of water in there, it can get out before getting to the engine. But that's a sticking plaster being used for an amputation!

It's interesting to note that the early L320 had a wading limit of 540mm. It appears that this was because the early starter motors didn't have extended breathers and they could get wet internally - which hastens their demise. Ask me how I know. Any new starter motor on an early L320 should have an extended breather (termed "snorkel" in the workshop guide) fitted. I guess if you're never intending to wade then it doesn't matter, of course. I think the snorkel was fitted from the factory from 09MY onwards - or maybe they were just fitted haphazardly before then and it was "pot luck" whether you were ok or not.

Having driven in Eastnor's wading trenches in my old TDV8 (before the starter motor snorkel was fitted, see above), 600mm of water is quite "scary", that is, it feels wrong to be doing that in such a vehicle. Interesting also how you notice the extra throttle required to push the water forward initially. I waded a loan car FL2 once in a ford which was about 500mm deep. That felt much more like hard work for the engine compared to the RRS, however. Really needed some extra right foot.

The big problem when wading is that depth can increase suddenly and you can be over the limit in an instant - particularly if you don't have a sealed RAI fitted. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #574002 Mon Jan 28 2019 10:16am
Autobiography1969

England 

Thanks guys,
That's some amazing info,

I was more wondering with regards to flash floods,
Or rivers bursting their bank's, and how deep I could deal with on road, but this information will cover that and more,..

500 mm = 19.5 inch
600 mm = 23.5 inch

So in any height settings (not Access)

You should be OK up to about 2 ft,
Any deeper than that you risk the chance of
Flooding the engine with wet stuff, or even floating away..

Thanks Guys.. ===========================================

Post #574004 Mon Jan 28 2019 11:31am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

A couple of years back I went on a RR experience day at Peckforton Castle. We had a RRS 2 3.0 diesal, the instructor took me to the wading obstacle and then had second thoughts. I had to wait while he ummed and argued about it until he said ‘we’ll go for it, but if I say to increase throttle, you do it’. We did it and it was very deep, the bow wave pushed the water out of the gully and left the water level back at normal. I think he was very relieved however I just thought it was cool! 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #574006 Mon Jan 28 2019 11:39am
Tim in Scotland

Although I have a snorkel on my Defender.................. you get wet inside because the battery box under the front passenger seat has 4 whacking great vent holes through it so just before you get to the 500mm it is supposed to wade to your foot wells are filling with water.......... what better warning could you want that you are reaching maximum wading depth, no need for fancy wing mirror sonars, canes with rubber bands on them - nobody likes wet feet! On TD5’s (mine is a TDi300 with no engine electrics to ruin), unless you had invested in some long heavy duty cabling and a Tupperware box sealed with gaffer tape and moved the ECU to a higher location, you drowned the ECU about the same time as the water came into the footwells.......... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #574012 Mon Jan 28 2019 2:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Brit Plumber wrote:
A couple of years back I went on a RR experience day at Peckforton Castle. We had a RRS 2 3.0 diesal, the instructor took me to the wading obstacle and then had second thoughts. I had to wait while he ummed and argued about it until he said ‘we’ll go for it, but if I say to increase throttle, you do it’. We did it and it was very deep, the bow wave pushed the water out of the gully and left the water level back at normal. I think he was very relieved however I just thought it was cool!

RRS2 has a 850mm wading limit (900mm for the FFRR and D5). 850mm of water is a lot!

How not to do it (and just in 700mm not 900mm !)
 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #574019 Mon Jan 28 2019 5:28pm
Autobiography1969

England 

At what point/height would you get water in the car on a Range Rover Sport? ===========================================

Post #574020 Mon Jan 28 2019 6:00pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
we have done a bit of wading when we had a D2 with a fully sealed air intake and raised breathers Whistle

as RRSTDV8 says its IF you have a sudden change in depth you have to be aware of,
when we were laning and had another car with us, its fun and the pressure is off Very Happy
But
we had to pass over a flooded road bridge near home back in 2006/7 and when on your own its a different matter, although I knew the road the worry of a manhole cover having popped off and dropping a wheel into it Question had me twittching Embarassed
plus the 2 cars on one side and 1 on the other that had already failed the crossing, we did cross safely, as crossed a bit slower and no real bow wave, so ended up with wet carpets, as swmbo would NOT get out and walk it first Rolling Eyes

This pic is from less stressful days Laughing

Be aware of flowing water as well as depth, this pic was some time back but the water level on the passenger side was half way up the door, while drivers side a lot lower

. Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #574023 Mon Jan 28 2019 6:43pm
HughN

Wales 

^^^ flowing water can be enough to push water up and into the side vents.

At the next service after some wading in my D2, they reported there was 1.5" of dried mud in the airbox. Embarassed

Post #574133 Wed Jan 30 2019 6:18pm
Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

^^^^ Hee hee, love VB-H. It shows how effective the bow wave was at speed, as the wheel arches are only half full so she probably did exactly the right thing!

Post #574164 Thu Jan 31 2019 1:20pm
RRSTDV8

The wheel arches would probably have been only half full if it was stood still! Rolling with laughter She just went for it and put the bow wave on top of the front bumper. Rolling with laughter

VBH is good value. Does a good little excited squeal when enjoying herself on track. I wonder if.......... Whistle Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #574178 Thu Jan 31 2019 5:22pm
Tim in Scotland

Shows how good the new location of the intakes is under the clamshell bonnet sides rather than exposed on the wing. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #574187 Thu Jan 31 2019 8:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>