RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Thoughts on Pirelli Scorpion Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Punkawallah

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Adriatic Blue
Thoughts on Pirelli Scorpion Tyres

I have fitted 20 inch wheels and General Grabber ATs to my 2014 SDV6 AB Dynamic which are necessary for the off-road driving I do in the winter months but the extra noise/vibration is noticeable on the motorway and the grip in the wet isn't great,

I have kept the original 21 inch wheels and (brand new) Pirelli Scorpion tyres and am considering running them in the summer months.

My question is - are these tyres in any way tougher than normal road tyres - ie. do they have any puncture protection? What are people's experiences of these tyres in terms of getting punctures and in light off-road use are they any good?

Annoyingly I have the 7 seat version with no spare which is why this is important to me...and with a 10 month old baby on-board I don't want punctures ruining everyone's day!

I have heard mixed reports - some people saying they're surprisingly good off-road and others saying they had endless punctures with them...

Any thoughts very welcome!

Post #573203 Wed Jan 16 2019 10:27am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

No tyre is puncture free,at the end of the day if you run over a nail regardless what tyre it is you will get a puncture.A nail in the road doesn't pick which tyre is is going to puncture im afraid.Some cars have runflats fitted which when they get a puncture it wont go down but the light on the dash will inform driver that a tyre is loosing air & then it will get you to the nearest place of repair. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #573209 Wed Jan 16 2019 11:09am
Punkawallah

Thanks Andy - I understand all of that however some tyres are clearly more prone to punctures (whether it’s a nail or a side-wall “pinch” from a pothole) than others - I ran a 2002 FFRR on 22 inch wheels (sadly it came with them!) for 2 months and had three flat tyres. Swapped to 20 inch General Grabbers and have run them for 5 years now (on 3 different RRS) without a single puncture and off roading every weekend in the winter....

Just interested to know people’s experience with the Pirelli Scorpions.

Post #573215 Wed Jan 16 2019 12:43pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

On my last RRS i changed the Continentals for the Pirellis, i much preferred them they are a good tyre. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #573216 Wed Jan 16 2019 12:53pm
GregP

Australia 

Presumably your Pirelli's are 275/45 R21 Scorpion Verde All Season. While Pirelli do offer run-flat and 'seal-inside' in some sizes of Scorpion Verde All Season, they do not offer those features in that size. What you will likely have though is just the XL = Extra Load rating. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I like the Scorpion Verde All Season as an excellent overall tyre. I have done about 30,000km on them so far - no punctures.
However, if you have the Scorpion ATR tyre, imho that leaves a lot to be desired in the wet, after some wear. There is also a new Scorpion AT Plus tyre available - still waiting for opinions on that. MY15.5 SDV6 HSE Dynamic without the H . Yulong White

Post #573258 Wed Jan 16 2019 11:01pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

What Greg said 👍

Post #573263 Thu Jan 17 2019 4:58am
Punkawallah

Thanks Greg -

"Presumably your Pirelli's are 275/45 R21 Scorpion Verde All Season" - those are exactly the tyres I have and following your thoughts on them I will swap back to them for the spring/summer as I have had a couple of scary moments in the wet on the General Grabber ATs...

Post #573276 Thu Jan 17 2019 9:21am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I’m running Verde All Seasons and they coped really well in last years snow and ice. Not as good as a dedicated Winter tyre like say a Nokian but enough to get me out of my village and along uncleared and ungritted country lanes.

Jim

Post #573282 Thu Jan 17 2019 12:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1