RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Tdv6 engine whine, relevant to rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

W18ODY

England 
Tdv6 engine whine, relevant to rpm

Noticed a whine coming from the engine, at low speeds it can be heard then engine/road noise overcomes it. Had a listen with the bonnet up but yet to pinpoint it, I’ve read some people having this issue and it being bearings on one of the serpentine belt items (alternator, pas etc). Not sure if this points towards alternator but once in a blue moon I get a low power mode on the radio.

Any help appreciated, tomorrow im going to try remove the serpentine belt and see if it still makes the noise.

Cheers.

Post #572854 Fri Jan 11 2019 5:47pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Belt tensioner ?

Post #572857 Fri Jan 11 2019 6:15pm
W18ODY

England 

Cheers for the reply Andy, funnily enough this is also on the hit list as there’s a bit of a squeal when cold and after a bit of searching it seems the tensioner is a common problem so that will be getting looked at too.
Any tips for removing the viscous fan without the proper tool? Seen on the how too people but a spanner on one of the pulley bolts but seen as it’s a LH thread if the fan is tight I could just see the bolt loosening.

Post #572860 Fri Jan 11 2019 6:27pm
Andy K

I wouldn’t even think about it without the correct tools.

Not a nice job.

But you put a spanner on the big nut and give it a
Hit with a hammer towards passenger side.

But with the engine running look at the belt tensioner.
See if it’s moving all over the place.

Post #572866 Fri Jan 11 2019 8:10pm
W18ODY

England 

Well seen as I’m doing nothing else tonight i thought I’d have a look with no other light than the one on my phone! The fan wasn’t coming off at all, the small bolts on the pulley weren’t that tight and they went first, I did manage to get the belt off.
I had looked at the tensioner before and it had a little bit of back and forth but nothing like the ones I’ve seen before, it did maybe seem a bit “weak” when putting the 3/8 in it to take the belt off one thing I notice was just how tight the belt was when taking it off and putting it on. With the tensioner forced out the way it still took a lot off force to get it off and was real tricky going back on.
Ran the engine and it certainly sounded better with the belt off than previous, I then fitted the belt and cowling back on started it and it sounded fine again weirdly. The alternator did have the tiniest bit of play on the pulley also whatever piece of equipment is directly adjacent to the alternator on the passenger side had a little play as well I’m guessing this is either the pas pump or air con?

Post #572878 Fri Jan 11 2019 8:46pm
W18ODY

England 

Update: had someone rev it for me and it sounds like it’s coming from the turbo area Sad
Can hear it at the passenger wheel arch too, I believe it’s mainly actuator problems with the turbos on these but could it be the bearings going?

Post #572896 Fri Jan 11 2019 10:14pm
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Ive just had a problem with the actuator on one of the turbos which was replaced and now solved, but there wasn't any kind of audible noise I could hear when I had the problem, just the red triangle on the dash. Hope this helps. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #572898 Fri Jan 11 2019 10:48pm
W18ODY

England 

Cheers Godders, actuator faults seem to be the common cause with these. I’ve no loss of power as far as I can tell, no lights on the dash etc so turbo would seem to be performing as it should, although when I’ve had turbo bearings fail before they have gone with no warning.
Because the noise is so prominent by the passenger wheel well I think I’ll try removing the wheel and heat shield tonorrow, I’m thinking worst case it’s the turbo best case it’s the ac clutch bearing as I believe this is just in front of the turbo.

Post #572902 Fri Jan 11 2019 11:29pm
Andy K

press ECO on the climate panel and see if the noise goes/changes

Post #572908 Sat Jan 12 2019 9:42am
W18ODY

England 

Will try that today Andy, blowers were off when I observed it last, my theory being it could be the bearing on the clutch and if it went away when the system was off it would indicate bearings on the compressor?
Does that sound about right

Post #572914 Sat Jan 12 2019 10:26am
Andy K

yeap

Post #572925 Sat Jan 12 2019 2:00pm
W18ODY

England 

Well today I got the wheel off removed the heat shield and had a proper listen and it’s deffinately coming from the near side.
The whine can clearly be heard and it sounded like it was coming from the turbo so I removed the serpentine belt (again) and ran it, had someone rev it while I got right down in the wheel arch and no whine! So I’m thinking it’s gotta be the clutch bearing on the ac?
I’ve seen other topics where they recommend taking it to LR as they quote a 30 min labour for the task as opposed to an Indy that will charge as long as it takes, apparently there’s also reduced labour rate at LR if the car is out of warranty? Think I read that on one of the disco forums but in all honesty im not sure if that is right.

Post #572927 Sat Jan 12 2019 2:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1