Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > DPF Regeneration and Oil Dilution
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
DPF Regeneration and Oil Dilution

Hi,

I have been reading lots on the forum about the oil dilution problem, which appears to be related to DPF regeneration and fuel getting into the oil causing dilution of the oil's lubricant properties. Could this be a contributing factor to the snapped crank scenario I wonder?

Anyway, this got me thinking about how frequent my 2013 L320 initiates a DPF regeneration, I have owned my car for over 18 months and have never been aware of a DPF regeneration being performed while driving.

Is there any way I can determine when a DPF regeneration has been performed? Are they logged in the CPU? I have a IID Tool, is there a sub-menu somewhere that I can access which would give me this historical DPF regeneration info?

I am sure that someone out there will know the answer.

Thanks Thumbs Up

Steve

Last edited by Evo5man on Thu Jan 10 2019 10:11am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #572682 Wed Jan 09 2019 3:18pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

lots of people like to claim it causes snapped cranks.

But there are too many occurrences of snapped cranks on cars that don't have a DPF !

Post #572691 Wed Jan 09 2019 5:36pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Steve's question is an interesting one. I have had a dpf full message 3 times in 3.5 years/50k miles and each time a 30 min drive has cleared it but otherwise no known problems nor have I been aware of any regeneration cycles occurring (such as on motorway trips etc).

Post #572741 Thu Jan 10 2019 8:25am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

In 4 years ive never had a message telling me its full or performing a regeneration. I would be interested to know if anyone has any further info or if the iid tool can be used to see this info Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #572746 Thu Jan 10 2019 9:38am
Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I generally use my car for longer runs, so I assume that DPF regeneration is taking place in the background without my knowledge but, like Buckster, it would be interesting if there was a log somewhere in the ECU which the IID tool could interrogate.

For those that use their cars frequently on short runs, it would be interesting to see how many regenerations have been initiated but not completed because the car was not run long enough at speed with the engine warm.

Could there be a scenario on short runs (say to work) where the car gets warm enough and is running above 40mph which initiates the DPF regeneration but it does not complete before you get to work. Then on the way home, the regeneration starts again but does not complete before you get home. You are then in a 'loop' of incomplete regenerations which could increase the oil dilution rate?

I am sure that someone much more knowledgeable than me will add to this discussion, or technically dismiss the above scenario Whistle

Steve

Post #572750 Thu Jan 10 2019 10:07am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
not so sure about More knowledge but different knowledge maybe Whistle

I asked dealer at last service is it logged how many times it has regenerated? answer was not how many logged but last time is and it was 264 miles ago

Friend has an iid and he is going to try and monitor when it happens, again no info for how many just the last one, his info from the tinterent indicates they regen about every 250 miles Shocked more often than i expected

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #572771 Thu Jan 10 2019 3:40pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

At last service my garage said that ash or whatever was at 33 grams and a forced regen was needed. There was no dash warning. But they saw the figure on some gizmo or other and said regen would be done with laptop plugged in...

I have had amber DPF twice in 8 years, both occasions on hot days stuck on hideous traffic with bursts of whacky racer acceleration to nip in and out of traffic. But then I treat mine very gently normally, only run premium/ultimate derv, and is lovingly serviced. Basically treated better than my wife. (except my wife is generally allowed to sleep indoors). L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #572882 Fri Jan 11 2019 8:53pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

Passive DPF regenerations ( when the DPF is hot enough) does not lead to oil dilution.
Oil dilution is the result of not completed active regenerations, when extra fuel enters the cilinders.
After a while the DPF orange warning is coming up, which will require the car to be driven for 20 minutes or so at a stable speed on the highway. If ignored a red light will be showing up for forced regen at the dealership, or worse a new DPF> RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #572886 Fri Jan 11 2019 9:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Buckster wrote:
or if the iid tool can be used to see this info Thumbs Up

It can in live values. There is a thread or two on FF forum which shows something like Non Continuous Soot......i'll try and dig it out for you....
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic49020.html?highlight=dpf
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48068.html Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #573766 Thu Jan 24 2019 12:10pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Evo5man wrote:
For those that use their cars frequently on short runs, it would be interesting to see how many regenerations have been initiated but not completed because the car was not run long enough at speed with the engine warm.

With living in Orkney I typically do 5000 miles a year with only do runs of 7 miles, although at least 3 times through the year I travel to Inverness or beyond which may help things with a minimum of 120 unbroken miles, but after 2 1/2 years I've not had any issue's whatsoever (that'll have gone and done it.....). The only thing I have noticed is a few weeks ago I was reversing onto my drive when I smelt a paraffin type smell so I immediately went a drive for about 30 minutes keeping the rev's at about 2800 odd (no not 100mph, I chose a lower gear Laughing ), I've read online that a DPF regen can sometimes smell like paraffin so I though I'd rather not shut the engine down just incase that was happening.

Here is a screenshot of a recent iiDTool showing all I could find to do with the DPF, and it all looks good unless I'm interpreting it wrong. Is there a way to get the actual regeneration counts? Can anybody confirm if these value's are ok or not?

(Edit: just re-read taking more time and read there are no regen counts, only last time it happened Embarassed )

13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #573781 Thu Jan 24 2019 4:54pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

You need "Non Continuous Soot Mass" to show DPF volume.
On later IID software we think it's been replaced by "DPF soot concentration - inferred using differential pressure"
Grab a cup of tea: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48068.html
Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #584720 Wed Jul 31 2019 6:56am
savi18

New Zealand 

insiorc wrote:
Evo5man wrote:

With living in Orkney I typically do 5000 miles a year with only do runs of 7 miles, although at least 3 times through the year I travel to Inverness or beyond which may help things with a minimum of 120 unbroken miles, but after 2 1/2 years I've not had any issue's whatsoever (that'll have gone and done it.....). The only thing I have noticed is a few weeks ago I was reversing onto my drive when I smelt a paraffin type smell so I immediately went a drive for about 30 minutes keeping the rev's at about 2800 odd (no not 100mph, I chose a lower gear Laughing ), I've read online that a DPF regen can sometimes smell like paraffin so I though I'd rather not shut the engine down just incase that was happening.

Here is a screenshot of a recent iiDTool showing all I could find to do with the DPF, and it all looks good unless I'm interpreting it wrong. Is there a way to get the actual regeneration counts? Can anybody confirm if these value's are ok or not?

(Edit: just re-read taking more time and read there are no regen counts, only last time it happened Embarassed )

My Truck Isuzu 6 wheeler does a regen at least twice a week, it sometimes begins when ticking over say wheel loading truck, as above i also get a smell of paraffin being burnt, however the engine speeds up during this process, i do get notice on dashboard saying DPF Regen in progress,

Post #586570 Mon Sep 09 2019 7:41am
Gjlatz

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Siberian Silver

Hello all, I was reading this with some interest regarding DPFs.

I had a look at the dash when the ignition is on and there isn't any DPF symbol and under the bonnet the engine vehicle plate illustrates Non DPF.

Just wondering if we're expecting regens when we shouldn't be.

2012 SDV6

Garry

Post #586610 Mon Sep 09 2019 4:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1