RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Lots of blue smoke- sometimes!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

DeeWee

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue
Lots of blue smoke- sometimes!

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can cast some info on an issue I have with my recently purchased β€œDIGBY” RRS 3.0V6 2010 currently with only 75,000 miles on it. When accelerating and the RPM exceeds 2500RPM a large cloud of blue smoke comes from both exhausts. Although concerning and alarming at first, it is embarrassing. There is no excessive loss of oil. Nevertheless I am anxious to sort it, Sooner rather than later. There is no difference in performance or sound and mechanically it still sounds sweet. Please anyone!!! HELP !! PLEEEAAAASEπŸ‘πŸ»

Post #571537 Sat Dec 22 2018 6:08pm
david007

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Vesuvius Orange

Have a read of this, might be of some help.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic50681.html

Post #571539 Sat Dec 22 2018 6:24pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attac...1484120229

Have look here as well.
You have to take your car to a main dealer and quote the LTB, should be done free of charge.

Post #571540 Sat Dec 22 2018 6:32pm
Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I had exactly the same problem with my 2013 L320 RRS.

Based on info from the Forum and LandPhil Thumbs Up I took my RRS to my local Main Dealer (Marshalls Cambridge) and quoted the LTB. Initially I was told that the pipe replacement cost had been rejected under the 2 year extended warranty as it is a "Known Design Fault".

I argued with LR Customer Service that if it is a "Known Design Fault" then the LR Main Dealer I purchased the car from (with a 2 year extended warranty) should have checked the car and modified it before offering it for sale. LR Customer Service accepted my argument and the modification was undertaken free of charge as a "Goodwill Gesture"!

My advice is to take the car to a LR Main Dealer and don't be put off if they initially reject a free of charge modification.

Post #571564 Sun Dec 23 2018 12:22am
DeeWee

Again thank you all for info. Will let you know any updates. πŸ‘πŸ» Fingers crossed 🀞

Post #571942 Sat Dec 29 2018 7:16pm
DeeWee

Update.

Just booked my RRS in for the secondary turbo drain mod with my local dealer- Roger Young. The warranty company "should" pay but I fail to understand why anyone should have to pay except for Land Rover as it is obviously a recognised design fault by their own admission and I will be honest and didn't realise that it could potentially become such a dangerous problem. I do now after I read this:-

This kit is used in workshops when addressing the service bulletin relating to excessive blue smoke being emitted from the exhaust
Relates to Land Rover Topix Bulletin LTB00487V6 (dated 9 June 2015)
Effects only 3.0L TDV6 engines as fitted to the vehicles mentioned below

One cause of this smoke can be as a result of a design flaw in the factory fitted turbo oil drain pipe
Originally the pipe does not follow a very direct route which can restrict the flow of oil from the turbo
If this problem is allowed to continue it can result in oil building up and overflowing into the engines intake manifold
If this occurs then the engine can run-on or diesel even with the ignition turned off
This potentially could put the vehicle and occupants in a very dangerous situation if the driver is not aware of how to bring a vehicle to a stop under such conditions

Effected vehicles:
Discovery 4 from VIN (SALLA...) AA510178 to DA676456
Range Rover Sport from VIN (SALLS...) AA212145 to DA814376
Range Rover Vogue from VIN (SALLG...) DA000012 to DA124719

This kit contains the modified pipe, blanking plate and gasket - all parts required to do the job
They are all brand new genuine Land Rover parts

Part numbers for reference: LR078875 LR078522 LR087351 LR044555 LR013235

😳

Post #573368 Fri Jan 18 2019 5:44pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

The oil would never make it as far as the inlet manifold.

Post #573377 Fri Jan 18 2019 6:11pm
DeeWee

I was researching the issue and found that info on another link. So just thought I'd put it out there, I would rather have your outcome than the one that I posted for sure. πŸ‘πŸ»

Post #573380 Fri Jan 18 2019 7:00pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Maybe the only way JLR would fund the modification was for them to believe it was safety related issue. Clever engineer or stupid? We shall never know... 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #573480 Sun Jan 20 2019 9:32am
DeeWee

It's just crap that they are fully aware of the problem and even have a fix, but still the consumer might have to pay. It should have been a recall. Also all issues like this should also be checked out by second hand dealerships before selling on.

Post #573546 Sun Jan 20 2019 10:10pm
Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I agree completely Thumbs Up

Post #573556 Mon Jan 21 2019 3:13am
DeeWee

Sorted πŸ‘πŸ»

Recently booked in my RRS in with the local main dealer with the blue smoke sometimes issue. Shortly after receiving the car they called to confirm that the turbo drain modification as in the technical had not been carried out on this vehicle. They requested the go ahead to do the modifications to which I agreed even though they made it totally clear that doing just the mod might not cure the problem totally. I then received the best news I could have got. The modification had been carried out fully and was successful. No more smoking. Absolutely overjoyed as several things were clearly overlooked by the garage that sold it to me, so all was not plain sailing in my relatively short introduction time as a RRS owner. But now it's more like it, like I say no smoke, not using oil as such and goes much better as the inter cooler has been cleaned and flushed out. Much more of a realisation of how they are meant to be.
A very special thank you to everyone on here for your help and advise but most importantly for the second to none customer service that I received from all concerned at ROGER YOUNG LAND ROVER, my local dealer, especially Darren Hardy the service director, Sarah who runs the service centre who I didn't get the chance to see and thank in person and also Tom for doing such thorough work on my Baby.
It just makes me think why did none of the other previous owners over the last nine years pick up the fault, maybe just not as fussy as me. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

Post #575131 Tue Feb 12 2019 10:55pm
Parker

United Kingdom 

EDITTED post to become a quote in the post below..

Last edited by Parker on Mon Dec 21 2020 1:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #607727 Mon Dec 21 2020 1:42pm
Parker

United Kingdom 
Re: Sorted πŸ‘πŸ»

DeeWee wrote:
Recently booked in my RRS in with the local main dealer with the blue smoke sometimes issue. Shortly after receiving the car they called to confirm that the turbo drain modification as in the technical had not been carried out on this vehicle. They requested the go ahead to do the modifications to which I agreed even though they made it totally clear that doing just the mod might not cure the problem totally. I then received the best news I could have got. The modification had been carried out fully and was successful. No more smoking. Absolutely overjoyed as several things were clearly overlooked by the garage that sold it to me, so all was not plain sailing in my relatively short introduction time as a RRS owner. But now it's more like it, like I say no smoke, not using oil as such and goes much better as the inter cooler has been cleaned and flushed out. Much more of a realisation of how they are meant to be.
A very special thank you to everyone on here for your help and advise but most importantly for the second to none customer service that I received from all concerned at ROGER YOUNG LAND ROVER, my local dealer, especially Darren Hardy the service director, Sarah who runs the service centre who I didn't get the chance to see and thank in person and also Tom for doing such thorough work on my Baby.
It just makes me think why did none of the other previous owners over the last nine years pick up the fault, maybe just not as fussy as me. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

DeeWee I know this was a while ago but before I book my car in with a local independent I just wanted to check if your local main dealer dit the turbo drain pipe mod for free? If so is that because you have a warranty with them?

Post #607728 Mon Dec 21 2020 1:43pm
DeeWee

Hi Parker, no they wouldn’t pay so I coughed up for it. Not smoking or using since it was done. Sorry for the late reply.πŸ‘πŸ»

Post #611645 Thu Mar 18 2021 3:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>