RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Low Battery Warning (Again)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I don't know if it is of any help, but if you have a look at this it shows how L/R fit/install the battery charging kit, which is I believe a rebranded ctek.

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/service/document/415483

Cheers
Col

Post #571390 Wed Dec 19 2018 9:20pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Lindab wrote:
I have Ctek MXS 5. The longer the cable, the more volt drop you get. Ctek are saying one, so for an experiment I will put the ctek under the bonnet then I wont even have an extension. The reason I had my setup was that I would not have to open the bonnet, just a quick connect/disconnect at the front of the car onto the comfort connector

The resistance of the cable is negligible and they are designed for much higher ampere chargers than the MX5. 

Post #571393 Wed Dec 19 2018 9:34pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

philmw, Why do Ctek say only to use one extension cable. I emailed them to ask if two were ok & they said no, only one. It's in their interest to sell two, so there must be a reason????????????

Post #571396 Wed Dec 19 2018 10:16pm
philmw

Easier for them to say not to.

The voltage drop over the two cables connected to the MX5 (5 amp) will be the same as the drop over one cable using the MX10 (10 amp). The fact that they sell the cable to be used with the latter means it will be fine to use two with the former. (The impedance of the cable is not an issue as the charging as either DC or slowly cycling current, not AC).

ETA: And the voltage drop over the cables will be negligible! A simple volt meter is unable to measure the resistance of the 2.5m cable and I couldn't be bothered to get the oscilloscope out to see the difference between voltages at each end of the cable. 

Post #571404 Thu Dec 20 2018 7:48am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Confused Had a bit of time today so decided to try a few things with a structured approach.
Low battery warning was on, so good start.
1. Connected Ctek direct to the studs in engine compartment using croc clips. Switched on, reading 12.3v at startup, rising to
12.6 & climbing after a few mins
2. Connected Ctek to one 2.5m extension cable & croc clips. Switched on, reading as test 1.
3. Connected Ctek to two extension cables & croc clips. Switched on. Reading as test 1
4. Connected Ctek to two extension cables & to my already installed comfort connector (the way I have been doing it for ages)
switched on. Reading as test 1 & comfort connector blinking Green.

So it looks like it does not matter how you connect up Ctek. Low battery warning is something I will have to live with I guess.

One thing I noticed when I locked up the car was there is a red flashing light at the bottom right of the instrument panel. Never ever noticed it before. Nothing in handbook. I assume its the alarm armed warning (unless you know different Sad )

Post #571450 Fri Dec 21 2018 2:25pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Well 12.3 is only 70% charge, a reading of 12.6+ is 100% charged.

You have a problem somewhere, battery failing?

Put a voltmeter on the terminals when the battery is at rest and if that also reads 12,3 volts then you have to find out why it is low. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Last edited by jimbg on Fri Dec 21 2018 3:56pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #571451 Fri Dec 21 2018 3:02pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Red flashing light in Dash on the right is Alarm light. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #571452 Fri Dec 21 2018 3:05pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

That does sound as though your battery is on the way out. Regular use of Ctek is probably keeping it going.

I think you should plan for a replacement soon.

Adam..

Post #571454 Fri Dec 21 2018 4:04pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Both batteries were replaced a few months ago

Post #571468 Fri Dec 21 2018 6:28pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Maybe it is the Ctek? As I said above check the actual voltage, maybe the Ctek is wrong regarding the 12.3 volts.

You need 12.6 or thereabouts, as you can see from the table there is a small voltage range covering flat - full.

2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #571471 Fri Dec 21 2018 6:43pm
philmw

If you’ve had to have both batteries changed and you still have problems after a 160 mile trip sounds like the power management unit is not doing its stuff and not powering down properly. Do have have a Tracker or daahcam or anything 3rd party connected? Did the garage measure the parasitic drain? Is it parked in a garage or outside? May sound silly, but try parking it somewhere else for a while. There used to be problems with security lights and telephone masts keeping the car alive and not shutting down fully. 

Post #571499 Sat Dec 22 2018 8:38am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Very Happy Yahoo finally got my stop/start working. Dead easy, only took a 300 mile trip to Manchester Rolling with laughter & with the 300 mile trip back, it even works with the headlights on at night. Hope I don't have to do that every week to keep it working Big Cry
Also when coming back filled up with the dearer Shell V max diesel or whatever its called. Verdict, didn't do anything, car didn't run any better or give increased mileage. Waste of money, back to old Asda diesel for me Thumbs Up

Post #572203 Wed Jan 02 2019 11:24am
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Good to hear that it seems to have settled down.

The premium fuels contain some extra detergents and things that are supposed to clean the injectors and things like that. But if they are not dirty to begin with then it cannot make much of a difference. I always use the standard stuff on my vehicles and have never had a problem with it. A large part of the price differential goes on advertising! the rest is profit.

Happy New Year!

Post #572204 Wed Jan 02 2019 11:56am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Well here we are again. Low battery warning back Censored Noticed CTEK have a model CT5 stop/start. Well I thought nothing ventured nothing gained. Initially emailed Ctek to see if this was a model specifically aimed at Stop/start or the same as MKS 5 in a different box. No reply so not a good start. Thought, I'll get it from Amazon & if its no good, will send it back for a refund. Well its been on for about 4 days as I have said before, the car isn't used much. Decided to try it today, no low battery warning, so that's a good start, off we go. After about 5 mins, stopped at the lights & engine stopped Very Happy Lights changed, brmm brmm, off we go. For the rest of the journey it worked a treat. Early days, but it seems to work & all the Amazon reviews say it works. Will see how it goes Very Happy Very Happy

Post #573072 Mon Jan 14 2019 4:03pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

So now you have the Stop/Start working and that worry fixed you can start worrying about oil dilution every time you stop and restart Rolling with laughter 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #573078 Mon Jan 14 2019 7:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>